2018 USA Olympic Women's Hockey Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vicb View Post
    Or when there are two players of equivalent skill, one a collegian and one not, will the powers that be want the coaches to pick the collegian so they can save on money?
    Aren't the Olympic payments NCAA exempt?
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Re: 2018 USA Olympic Women's Hockey Team

Originally posted by ARM View Post
      I didn't think that there was as much top-end talent in the college game this year as we've seen some other years.
      Originally posted by Leather helmet View Post
      Is it possible that another reason is that more players are continuing to train and play elite-level hockey even after college graduation than before?
      Both of these are likely true. It feels like the 5 years before and after 2010 or so was really the peak of the sport's talent level.
      Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
      Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
      Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        Aren't the Olympic payments NCAA exempt?
        only some. Like all things the Martians at NCAA mandate it is complicated.
        bylaw 12.1.2.1.5 “Payment Based on Performance” defines the following type of payment as a trigger for losing one’s amateur status:

“Any payment, including actual and necessary expenses, conditioned on the individual’s or team’s place finish or performance or given on an incentive basis, or receipt of expenses in excess of the same reasonable amount for permissible expenses given to all individuals or team members involved in the competition.”
        However,on page 64 of this 426 page manual are two rules that carve out exceptions. Specifically, 12.1.2.1.4.3.2 “Expenses/Benefits Related to Olympic Games” says that:

“It is permissible for members of an Olympic team to receive all nonmonetary benefits and awards provided to members of an Olympic team beyond actual and necessary expenses, including entertainment, equipment, clothing, long distance telephone service, Internet access, and any other item or service for which it can be demonstrated that the same benefit is available to all members of that nation’s Olympic team or the specific sport Olympic team in question.”
        That seems to me to say taking the team pay is OK . . . I guess

Additionally, 12.1.2.1.4.3.3 “Operation Gold Grant” (the bit that pays individuals for winning medals) says that:
        “An individual(prospective student-athlete or student-athlete) may accept funds that are administered by the U.S. Olympic Committee pursuant to its Operation Gold program.”

I know the kids are not allowed agents but they need lawyers!

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
          “It is permissible for members of an Olympic team to receive all nonmonetary benefits and awards provided to members of an Olympic team beyond actual and necessary expenses, including entertainment, equipment, clothing, long distance telephone service, Internet access, and any other item or service for which it can be demonstrated that the same benefit is available to all members of that nation’s Olympic team or the specific sport Olympic team in question.”
          That seems to me to say taking the team pay is OK . . . I guess
          Note that it says "nonmonetary benefits."

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post

Or maybe it's Western bias .
            For sure western bias.

If you want to win gold, why would you chose players who have a proven history of winning championships, proven their skill by leading the nation in scoring, been selected as All-American, Patty K nominees, …
            The team should not be made up of the best players, but rather who will make the best team. You don’t want a team made up of all stars …........... blah blah blah.

oh, and a woman coach can relate to players in a way men cannot

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
              For sure western bias.

If you want to win gold, why would you chose players who have a proven history of winning championships, proven their skill by leading the nation in scoring, been selected as All-American, Patty K nominees, …
              The team should not be made up of the best players, but rather who will make the best team. You don’t want a team made up of all stars …........... blah blah blah.

oh, and a woman coach can relate to players in a way men cannot
              Could you excuse me while I go get a towel or 2 to wipe off all the sarcastic drool .
              Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
              And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
              WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
              If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                Note that it says "nonmonetary benefits."
                but it also says "other item or service for which it can be demonstrated that the same benefit is available to all members "

Comment

And here is Canada's centralized roster.

https://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/ne...ad-of-olympics
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                    but it also says "other item or service for which it can be demonstrated that the same benefit is available to all members "
                    Money is neither an item nor a service in this context. Your argument is that they used the word "nonmonetary" and then negated it.

Comment

Has there ever been any thoughts floating around out there that Frosty could be a potential Olympic team coach? He has more experience than Stauber for instance.
                      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                        Has there ever been any thoughts floating around out there that Frosty could be a potential Olympic team coach? He has more experience than Stauber for instance.
                        Except he's Canadian, from a small town in Ontario I believe. Shh, don't tell anyone!

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                          Except he's Canadian, from a small town in Ontario I believe. Shh, don't tell anyone!
                          And please let's replace Stauber! After all, he has only ever won gold!

Comment

Looking ahead to the 2017-18 D1 season I don't think there's any argument that no team will potentially be more impacted by the Olympics than the Minnesota Gophers. Assuming all three centralized players - Kelly Pannek, Sarah Potomak and Amy Potomak - are missing for the entire season would obviously be a very big hit, talent wise, to the Gopher's roster. Of course the upside, if this should happen, would be that all three players would greatly improve their games for a possible strong run in 2018-19 (assuming Pannek returns).

And I don't mean to be overly pessimistic about the Gopher's upcoming season as there is still plenty of returning and incoming talent to carry the team to NCAA tournament, a possible Final Four berth and then who knows? But my-o-my what a difference these three would make offensively if it were not for the Olympic year interruption...especially when compared to the relatively minor losses that their competition will experience.
                            Last edited by D2D; 05-12-2017, 03:23 PM.
                            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                              Looking ahead to the 2017-18 D1 season I don't think there's any argument that no team will potentially be more impacted by the Olympics than the Minnesota Gophers. Assuming all three centralized players - Kelly Pannek, Sarah Potomak and Amy Potomak - are missing for the entire season would obviously be a very big hit, talent wise, to the Gopher's roster. Of course the upside, if this should happen, would be that all three players would greatly improve their games for a possible strong run in 2018-19 (assuming Pannek returns).

And I don't mean to be overly pessimistic about the Gopher's upcoming season as there is still plenty of returning and incoming talent to carry the team to NCAA tournament, a possible Final Four berth and then who knows? But my-o-my what a difference these three would make offensively if it were not for the Olympic year interruption...especially when compared to the relatively minor losses that their competition will experience.
                              Wisconsin also loses a pretty important pair in Pankowski and Clark. However it does seem that the Badgers have more experience returning than the Gophers. Though Wisconsin loses their top line, two of the three skaters on their second line return (Norby, Cogan) and their entire third line from last year as well (Wellhausen, Roque, Shaver). Mauermann played quite a bit as a freshman last year too. Adding Kepler to the mix gives UW a pretty solid 6-7 forwards and that is not including what this upcoming seasons freshman bring.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                                He's also American -- he has dual citizenship. And he has been an assistant coach for US national teams in the past.
                                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Working...
                                X