Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2324252627282930313233

Thread: 2018 USA Olympic Women's Hockey Team

Quote Originally Posted by Sieve1 View Post
    At first I was concerned going into the shootout with our rookie goalie, then I realized that the Canadians didnít know her that well and maybe that was an advantage.
    Another advantage was probably the fact that Rooney plays in a league that actually uses and practices the shootout.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
    Another advantage was probably the fact that Rooney plays in a league that actually uses and practices the shootout.
    When Agosta got that close she shouldn't have tried to shoot for the 5-hole. If she had stickhandled the puck back to her backhand she could have just softly guided the puck into the short side with her top hand on the stick as Rooney was sliding across to the other side to mirror Agosta. Easy to say after watching the replay enough. Just glad it wasn't me on either side of that moment!

Re: 2018 USA Olympic Women's Hockey Team

I am still so pumped with the USA winning Gold. For me it was second only to the 1980 "Miracle on Ice". I have the final game saved on the DVR, where I expect it will stay and be replayed for a long time to come.

Still, I can't help looking ahead. With the Olympics now completed I'm curious what the plan is for the USA National Team going forward. Specifically, with the current players having been on salary and a portion of their living expenses having been paid by USA Hockey, what changes can we expect to see over the next few years, as compared to when the compensation was at best meager, with the players having to bear most of the cost themselves. So a few questions:

> Will all players who wish to stay with the team continue to receive compensation? Or will some be involuntarily "cut" from the program (or allowed to "retire") before the team is officially reconvened to begin practicing/training prior to the next international competition?

> There will surely be changes in the roster, with new tryout invitations extended. Anyone know what the timing of the process will be?

> To what extent will the new compensation agreement have an impact on whether some college-eligible players decide to redshirt or join the national team?

> Any guesses as to how many of the current Olympians will be back in 2022?
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    I am still so pumped with the USA winning Gold. For me it was second only to the 1980 "Miracle on Ice". I have the final game saved on the DVR, where I expect it will stay and be replayed for a long time to come.

Still, I can't help looking ahead. With the Olympics now completed I'm curious what the plan is for the USA National Team going forward. Specifically, with the current players having been on salary and a portion of their living expenses having been paid by USA Hockey, what changes can we expect to see over the next few years, as compared to when the compensation was at best meager, with the players having to bear most of the cost themselves. So a few questions:

> Will all players who wish to stay with the team continue to receive compensation? Or will some be involuntarily "cut" from the program (or allowed to "retire") before the team is officially reconvened to begin practicing/training prior to the next international competition?

> There will surely be changes in the roster, with new tryout invitations extended. Anyone know what the timing of the process will be?

> To what extent will the new compensation agreement have an impact on whether some college-eligible players decide to redshirt or join the national team?

> Any guesses as to how many of the current Olympians will be back in 2022?
    These are all fantastic questions. I donít think anyone will redshirt college to attempt to be apart of the National Team. I was wondering if the college kids in the Olympic team get to accept the payout for winning a gold medal?

I would love for someone to report on this line of questions. I too am still pumped about the Olys, and now playoff college hockey. Just watched the womenís team on Ellen. They represented themselves very well, no surprise there.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsay View Post
    I was wondering if the college kids in the Olympic team get to accept the payout for winning a gold medal?
    Since 2001, NC$$ by-laws have permitted student-athletes to accept payments from the USOC’s Operation Gold program, which gives bonuses to athletes for medals at Olympic or world championship events, without compromising their eligibility.

Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    To what extent will the new compensation agreement have an impact on whether some college-eligible players decide to redshirt or join the national team
    I am not an expert but what I remember from previous discussions is Athletes can get expenses paid for by the United States Olympic Committee to cover development training, coaching, facility usage, equipment, apparel, supplies, comprehensive health insurance, travel, and room and board. Also, expenses for Olympic tours and exhibitions are allowed as long as the athlete doesn't miss class time or conflict with university competition. Athletes can receive apparel, clothes, footwear and other commemorative items for participating in the Olympics or International championships. People or companies can provide expenses and "non-monetary" benefits to an athlete's family to attend national team competitions.

> Any guesses as to how many of the current Olympians will be back in 2022?[/QUOTE]

I would guess Marvin may not return.
    Kessel seems to have lost something since all the injuries so while I would love to see her play again my guess is she may leave on a golden note
    Duggan and Bellamy are 30 so I would expect them to return

Those are the oldest (I think) but it is tough for a woman to put the rest of life on hold for 4 years & play even for the better money currently offered.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
    There's all kinds of different philosophies for a shootout strategy. You would think you would not want to waste one of your best shooters by leaving them till the end and possibly never getting a chance. But, I've seen in soccer shootouts just that happening all the time.
    Frost mentioned that the team ends Thursday practices with a shootout competition. I get the impression if there is a shootout required that weekend those results may influence his choices. Maybe The Olympic team does something similar?

Quote Originally Posted by ne7minder View Post
    Frost mentioned that the team ends Thursday practices with a shootout competition. I get the impression if there is a shootout required that weekend those results may influence his choices. Maybe The Olympic team does something similar?
    I'm sure they do.

Heck, way back when I was on my high school soccer team, we had penalty kick competitions during practice. Whoever finished on top, no matter what type of player you were, were the ones selected if a penalty kick was called during the game. I actually finished second. The problem was, I hardly played. Like I said, it didn't matter what type of player you were. If you won the competition and were in the game when a penalty kick was called, you got to take it.
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Thread Information