2018 USA Olympic Women's Hockey Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
    Almost all of the European players, and exactly zero of the North Americans. The former were with their teams before the Games and will be back. The latter aren't going to give up a year of eligibility just for the last four weeks of the season; they also likely are not eligible, as I very much doubt that any of them are taking a full class load this semester.
    I believe an NCAA full load is 6 hrs.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Re: 2018 USA Olympic Women's Hockey Team

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      I believe an NCAA full load is 6 hrs.
      Except for international students (anything other than American) its about 12. Must be 80% per Visa requirements.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
        Almost all of the European players, and exactly zero of the North Americans. The former were with their teams before the Games and will be back. The latter aren't going to give up a year of eligibility just for the last four weeks of the season; they also likely are not eligible, as I very much doubt that any of them are taking a full class load this semester.
        Remember when Paul Kariya returned to Maine for just one game? And this was after he sat out the entire season to participate for Canada's Olympic team (back when only college players were used). Somehow, he remained eligible to still play for Maine halfway through the semester.
        Russell Jaslow
        [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
        U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
          Remember when Paul Kariya returned to Maine for just one game? And this was after he sat out the entire season to participate for Canada's Olympic team (back when only college players were used). Somehow, he remained eligible to still play for Maine halfway through the semester.
          I thought he played the first semester and then bade Orono goodbye in a grand sendoff.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            I thought he played the first semester and then bade Orono goodbye in a grand sendoff.
            I looked it up. You are correct. One source says he did not come back after the Olympics, so now I'm all confused. I thought he came back for one game.
            Russell Jaslow

Comment

A bit hyperbolic, but a reminder that there was more than Sochi on this team's mind.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/23/s...ns-hockey.html
              Last edited by thirdtime's . . .; 02-25-2018, 12:53 PM.

Comment

A little shocking Coyne and Decker were not in the first 5 shooters and Pfalzer was. Wouldn't you blast with the big guns right away?
                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                  A little shocking Coyne and Decker were not in the first 5 shooters and Pfalzer was. Wouldn't you blast with the big guns right away?
                  There's all kinds of different philosophies for a shootout strategy. You would think you would not want to waste one of your best shooters by leaving them till the end and possibly never getting a chance. But, I've seen in soccer shootouts just that happening all the time.
                  Russell Jaslow

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                    There's all kinds of different philosophies for a shootout strategy. You would think you would not want to waste one of your best shooters by leaving them till the end and possibly never getting a chance. But, I've seen in soccer shootouts just that happening all the time.
                    Perhaps there was too much familiarity with Szabados and some of the long time USA players? Maybe they thought Szabados knew their best moves- she stopped Knight after all. At first I was concerned going into the shootout with our rookie goalie, then I realized that the Canadians didn’t know her that well and maybe that was an advantage. Anyway- all’s well that ends well!

Comment

Originally posted by Sieve1 View Post
                      Perhaps there was too much familiarity with Szabados and some of the long time USA players? Maybe they thought Szabados knew their best moves- she stopped Knight after all. At first I was concerned going into the shootout with our rookie goalie, then I realized that the Canadians didn’t know her that well and maybe that was an advantage. Anyway- all’s well that ends well!
                      And some people are just not very good on breakaways, no matter their skill set. Remember that was a knock on Gretzky at one time? Couldn't convert on many of his breakaways, critics said. That was the reason why when they paired Lemieux and Gretzky on that famous Canada Cup line, it was set up for Gretzky to feed Lemieux breaking down the middle, not the other way around.
                      Russell Jaslow

Comment

• Originally posted by Sieve1 View Post
                        At first I was concerned going into the shootout with our rookie goalie, then I realized that the Canadians didn’t know her that well and maybe that was an advantage.
                        Another advantage was probably the fact that Rooney plays in a league that actually uses and practices the shootout.
                        Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                        Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                        Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

• Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                          Another advantage was probably the fact that Rooney plays in a league that actually uses and practices the shootout.
                          When Agosta got that close she shouldn't have tried to shoot for the 5-hole. If she had stickhandled the puck back to her backhand she could have just softly guided the puck into the short side with her top hand on the stick as Rooney was sliding across to the other side to mirror Agosta. Easy to say after watching the replay enough. Just glad it wasn't me on either side of that moment!

Comment

I am still so pumped with the USA winning Gold. For me it was second only to the 1980 "Miracle on Ice". I have the final game saved on the DVR, where I expect it will stay and be replayed for a long time to come.

Still, I can't help looking ahead. With the Olympics now completed I'm curious what the plan is for the USA National Team going forward. Specifically, with the current players having been on salary and a portion of their living expenses having been paid by USA Hockey, what changes can we expect to see over the next few years, as compared to when the compensation was at best meager, with the players having to bear most of the cost themselves. So a few questions:

> Will all players who wish to stay with the team continue to receive compensation? Or will some be involuntarily "cut" from the program (or allowed to "retire") before the team is officially reconvened to begin practicing/training prior to the next international competition?

> There will surely be changes in the roster, with new tryout invitations extended. Anyone know what the timing of the process will be?

> To what extent will the new compensation agreement have an impact on whether some college-eligible players decide to redshirt or join the national team?

> Any guesses as to how many of the current Olympians will be back in 2022?
                            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by D2D View Post
                              I am still so pumped with the USA winning Gold. For me it was second only to the 1980 "Miracle on Ice". I have the final game saved on the DVR, where I expect it will stay and be replayed for a long time to come.

Still, I can't help looking ahead. With the Olympics now completed I'm curious what the plan is for the USA National Team going forward. Specifically, with the current players having been on salary and a portion of their living expenses having been paid by USA Hockey, what changes can we expect to see over the next few years, as compared to when the compensation was at best meager, with the players having to bear most of the cost themselves. So a few questions:

> Will all players who wish to stay with the team continue to receive compensation? Or will some be involuntarily "cut" from the program (or allowed to "retire") before the team is officially reconvened to begin practicing/training prior to the next international competition?

> There will surely be changes in the roster, with new tryout invitations extended. Anyone know what the timing of the process will be?

> To what extent will the new compensation agreement have an impact on whether some college-eligible players decide to redshirt or join the national team?

> Any guesses as to how many of the current Olympians will be back in 2022?
                              These are all fantastic questions. I don’t think anyone will redshirt college to attempt to be apart of the National Team. I was wondering if the college kids in the Olympic team get to accept the payout for winning a gold medal?

I would love for someone to report on this line of questions. I too am still pumped about the Olys, and now playoff college hockey. Just watched the women’s team on Ellen. They represented themselves very well, no surprise there.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                                I was wondering if the college kids in the Olympic team get to accept the payout for winning a gold medal?
                                Since 2001, NC$$ by-laws have permitted student-athletes to accept payments from the USOC’s Operation Gold program, which gives bonuses to athletes for medals at Olympic or world championship events, without compromising their eligibility.

Comment

Working...
                                X