2018 USA Olympic Women's Hockey Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2018 USA Olympic Women's Hockey Team

The opening game of "The Time is Now Tour" will be televised by the NHL Network this Wednesday at 7:30pm ET.

Looking at the full schedule, the following four games will unfortunately require a paid streaming subscription to "HockeyTV". Obviously this cannot possibly help build a wider audience for women's hockey leading up to the Olympics.

http://teamusa.usahockey.com/page/sh...nted-by-toyota
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Leather helmet View Post
      One aspect of the 1980 US Olympic team that allowed them to stay with the Russians was their stamina. Because of their youth, and because of Herb's insistence on conditioning, they pulled away from each of their opponents, including the Soviets, in the third period. They trailed after two periods in more than half of their Olympic games, but caught and passed everyone (well, except for the Swedes).
      This is a very important observation. That difference between two teams can create results as different as night and day.

Allow me to share a story as an example.

Many years ago I was “involved” with a women’s elite soccer team for four years…age level 13 thru 16 over the four years.. This was the most magical sports team that I have ever witnessed on a personal level. For four years there were only 2 or 3 changes/temporary additions to the line up with the additions being somewhat less capable than the core players and for the most part they didn’t play much.

The core players, meaning virtually all of the players, were elite caliber but in addition to that they all got along phenomenally well and socialized together with never an argument…very good friends on and off the pitch…17 players…one mind. Dynamic synergism when added to top level ability in virtually every player created, what I remember often thinking, something akin to a religious experience as one watched them play.

In addition they were extremely well coached and the coach was a fanatic about conditioning…extremely serious conditioning.

The first year, not yet having been together more than a couple of months, they went to the Schwann’s mini tournament in Blaine, Mn. because the deadline for the regular full blown tournament had passed. They didn’t fare overly well…only played 3 games (short weekend tournament) and were 1-1-1 as I recall…one game was vs. a team from Alaska…talk about a road trip for that team!

Apart from that mini tournament this team, as you’ve similarly mentioned in your comment, might have their opponents play level with them for the first half but the second half was the half of champions and as their opponents faded they continued on cruise control.

The following year they entered the Schwann’s regular tournament and blew everyone away and played, oddly enough considering that there were teams from all over the planet, in the Championship Game against a team from Saskatchewan (neighbours)…and crushed them 5-0...the play wasn’t even close.

(Regular season record over four seasons 84-2...not counting playoffs, International Tournaments such as Schwann’s and National Championship Tournament appearances). And these tournaments such as Schwann’s were always viewed as tune ups for the National Championship Tournament…they had to plan well in advance.

Here’s what I was impressed with the most.

The third year they entered a tournament in Denver for which the team arrived two days before their first game…the significance of which was not lost on us but it was what it was. They made it thru to the Championship Game vs. the Colorado Selects and I ended up standing among the Denver team’s parents during that game. As the game went on the change in the attitude of those parents was priceless entertainment indeed…going from total confidence, almost arrogance, that their team was going to win even before the game had begun (I think they were the tournament favourites, if I recall) to questioning what was going on on the field because their team wasn‘t dominating ours as they had expected and assumed would happen…to “where’s that other team from?”…”you ever heard of them before?”…“they’re from…where?”…As in “how can a team that we have never hear of before be making this an anybody’s game kind of a game with our kids?” But their was more to their thinking process.

The anguish of their endless unanswered questions became too much so I thought I would help them out by answering some of them. Several parents gathered around to join in the conversation when they realized that I was from the other team, as play on the field continued, and they ended up telling me that it was unheard of for any non local team to play anywhere near this well, at altitude, without first having had at least a week to acclimate themselves to the reduced availability of oxygen. They were literally in shock when I told them that the team had arrived two days before their first game. (They were probably thinking “what could this team do to our team if it wasn’t playing with this huge handicap?”).

Anyway, it was a very close game, anybody’s game, and the Colorado team managed a goal in the second half and ended up winning the Championship Game 1-0.

At the final whistle about half a dozen of our players literally collapsed onto the ground, our players having suffered from oxygen deprivation for at least half the game. Watching the game it was obvious that they were all suffering tremendously but they played on with fierce determination. After the game, in addition to the comments from the Colorado parents, the respect on their faces and on the faces of their players was incredulous. And it eerily overwhelmed their victory.

This is what conditioning can accomplish.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
        The opening game of "The Time is Now Tour" will be televised by the NHL Network this Wednesday at 7:30pm ET.

Looking at the full schedule, the following four games will unfortunately require a paid streaming subscription to "HockeyTV". Obviously this cannot possibly help build a wider audience for women's hockey leading up to the Olympics.

http://teamusa.usahockey.com/page/sh...nted-by-toyota

The teams also play Dec. 3 in St. Paul, Minn., Dec. 5 in Winnipeg, Dec. 15 in San Jose, Calif., and Dec. 17 in Edmonton.

Comment

So we play the Canadians 6x on NHL ice. Who has the advantage on Olympic ice??
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

FINAL: USA 1 USA's pants 5
            Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
            Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
            BU Hockey highlights and extras
            NCAA Hockey Financials
            Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
            I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
              So we play the Canadians 6x on NHL ice. Who has the advantage on Olympic ice??
              I would say the Americans. But no matter what size rink they play on, they will need a much stronger effort than they gave tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                I would say the Americans. But no matter what size rink they play on, they will need a much stronger effort than they gave tonight.
                How were you able to watch the game?...didn't even know it was being played...does someone have an accurate schedule other than the one that I posted (which I thought was all there was).

https://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/te...ry?gameid=1869

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                  How were you able to watch the game?...didn't even know it was being played...does someone have an accurate schedule other than the one that I posted (which I thought was all there was).
                  Just answered my own question...the article I read the other day didn't mention tonight's game so I didn't know it was taking place.

https://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/te...stats/schedule

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                    Schedule with game times, ticket, and TV information (including the 4 nations cup):
                    http://teamusa.usahockey.com/page/sh...-national-team

Speaking of Olympic ice, it's a little surprising to me that for the game in the Twin Cities they're playing at Xcel instead of 3Mariucci. You'd think the chance to get in a little time on the bigger ice, as well as the smaller capacity, would have made it a better fit than playing in at NHL arena where at least half the seats will be empty.

Comment

Originally posted by Nowheresville View Post

Speaking of Olympic ice, it's a little surprising to me that for the game in the Twin Cities they're playing at Xcel instead of 3Mariucci. You'd think the chance to get in a little time on the bigger ice, as well as the smaller capacity, would have made it a better fit than playing in at NHL arena where at least half the seats will be empty.
                      yup, part of the problem of attendance is that everyone knows you can wait for the last minute to buy a ticket, if the games sell out it would increase future demand.
                      who knows, maybe they'll sell out the X, but I will be extremely surprised if they do, they couldn't do it last time with people intrigued there may be a fight and also everyone off for Xmas break

Comment

Schedule with game times, ticket, and TV information (including the 4 nations cup):
                        No free TV for any of the four November games.

Comment

Thanks, some gorgeous goals.

Comment

I could me misspeaking here, but I don't believe the Olympics play on Olympic-size ice sheet any more. The men went to the NHL size rinks a few cycles ago, and just assume that the women did the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                              FINAL: USA 1 USA's pants 5
                              That would be "hat", USAs hat.

I always expect close games but here were 2 that were obviously over early yet the series is close. Both teams trying to figure it out yet from the way they have played.

Comment

Originally posted by play-by-play guy View Post
                                I could me misspeaking here, but I don't believe the Olympics play on Olympic-size ice sheet any more. The men went to the NHL size rinks a few cycles ago, and just assume that the women did the same.
                                Looks like both the men and the women will be playing on Olympic-sized ice sheets:

"Both venues contain international-sized rinks (60 meters by 30 meters)."
                                https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_ho...inter_Olympics

Comment

Working...
                                X