This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Laker Dude View Post
    What is the price for season tickets with the early bird special?
    $300 for an adult ticket, $200 for a youth ticket.
    Includes all home regular season and playoff games.
    Max (16+7) 23 games max if all home playoffs...as an example.
    Last edited by Huskiefan906; 06-11-2017, 02:02 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
      Economy is always going to be based on tourism and MTU. The vast majority of the well-paying "blue collar labor" jobs are loooooong gone. Not sure what this hoped for "recovery" that you speak of looks like. Sad, but true.
      I guess with the presumption you have for this area there is no hope for a recovery. We were at one time the king of copper.
      I am guessing you are from out of state or not from the Northern part of Michigan. There are still deposits in the ground here that can be mined. In fact there is a mine that started production a couple years ago in Marquette county. Another mine will start production in a few years in Gogebic county. They are core drilling Northeast of Calumet​ also. The are still large amounts of copper in the UP. Getting those operating would have a ripple effect on the economy.
      MTU Huskies 3 time NCAA Champions... and going for more.
      2017-18 WCHA playoff Pick'em Champion!

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech Off-season Revised - Onward and Upward

Originally posted by Wi.Huskies Fan View Post
        I guess with the presumption you have for this area there is no hope for a recovery. We were at one time the king of copper.
        I am guessing you are from out of state or not from the Northern part of Michigan. There are still deposits in the ground here that can be mined. In fact there is a mine that started production a couple years ago in Marquette county. Another mine will start production in a few years in Gogebic county. They are core drilling Northeast of Calumet​ also. The are still large amounts of copper in the UP. Getting those operating would have a ripple effect on the economy.
        There is still a lot of copper in the ground up there, but the reason it is still there is because it is significantly cheaper to mine it from other areas, if it was economically feasible to mine it up there the mines would still be open, that's the issue.
        2005-2006: 7-25-6
        2006-2007: 18-17-5
        2007-2008: 14-20-5
        2008-2009: 6-25-7
        2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

• Originally posted by bose301s View Post
          There is still a lot of copper in the ground up there, but the reason it is still there is because it is significantly cheaper to mine it from other areas, if it was economically feasible to mine it up there the mines would still be open, that's the issue.
          What is economically feasible to a corporation now a days. How much profit is enough for some of these "corporations"? Think about that statement for awhile. Trouble is we don't make anything in the United States anymore. Just saying the mines survived here before and they will again someday.
          There, I feel better now.

Comment

What is economically feasible to a corporation now a days. How much profit is enough for some of these "corporations"? Think about that statement for awhile. Trouble is we don't make anything in the United States anymore. Just saying the mines survived here before and they will again someday.
            There, I feel better now.
            Currently it is cheaper to mine elsewhere, that's why the mines in the Keweenaw are sitting dormant, someday will they open back up? Probably when the easy to get copper in other areas has all been mined and it becomes cheaper to mine in up there again, but until then it won't. Same thing goes for things being made in the United States, it's cheaper to manufacture it elsewhere so that's what they do. Could we manufacture here, sure, but those products you buy for $5-$10 now will be more like $50-$60, until manufacturing in other areas comes close to parity to the cost of the US, it won't return, it's simple economics.

Comment

Bose stated the facts behind my point. The area has been 'recovering' for 50+ years. You don't have to tell me copper used to be king. It's not anymore, for the reasons listed above. The peak was over a century ago. An exploratory mine here and there hardly counts in the grand scheme of things.

Comment

Bose stated the facts behind my point. The area has been 'recovering' for 50+ years. You don't have to tell me copper used to be king. It's not anymore, for the reasons listed above. The peak was over a century ago. An exploratory mine here and there hardly counts in the grand scheme of things.
                People on here said the same thing about Tech hockey for years​. Things​ seem to come back full circle. The program here is back on stable ground.

From what I have been hearing China needs our copper.

Comment

I do not know anything about the economics of mining copper, but I've been led to believe that if the mines were up and running now they would be making a good profit with the current price of copper. But mining companies would need to invest too much to start them back up which makes it not feasible at this time.

I just want Oct. 1 to get here soon and I'll let the bean counters worry about that other stuff.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
                    I do not know anything about the economics of mining copper, but I've been led to believe that if the mines were up and running now they would be making a good profit with the current price of copper. But mining companies would need to invest too much to start them back up which makes it not feasible at this time.

I just want Oct. 1 to get here soon and I'll let the bean counters worry about that other stuff.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
                    well a few points. even if it were economically motivating for a company to open a mine again, the technology would be so different that the number of blue collar employees would be much smaller than before. The economic bump would hardly be felt.
                    Second, 7 years ago copper sold for $4.50 on the comex, now it sells for 2.6495. So that is hardly encouraging, though it is up from the bottom a bit. It got so expensive that robbers were stealing it anywhere they could get it and selling it in the scrap yards for big profits. That's not happening now days. Overall demand for copper is down, as alternative products picked up steam and have not given up that ground as the price of copper has dropped. Houses are not plumbed with copper any more as a matter of course, for instance.
                    This kind of thing, i.e. automating the worker out of existence, is happening worldwide and is of particular interest because some economists estimate that 40% of todays jobs will be automated out of existence in the next 30 years. So you have to wonder what implications that has for the economy as a whole.
                    Last edited by manurespreader; 06-11-2017, 10:11 PM.
                    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Perhaps I should say, I would love to see an economic boom in the Keweenaw (I took Prof. Lankton's Keweenaw history class! - I know how 'deep' mining goes in the area), but I'm being realistic.

Like 'spreader says, many people don't know just how "automated" mining is now. Drilling? Done by machine. Mucking & tramming? Done by machine. Many mines now use chemicals to more efficiently separate ore (hence the EPA site in Lake Linden), Sure, machines require operators and chemicals require Chem E's, but you need to know what you're doing to be employed. The days of a Finnish immigrant coming over and throwing/pushing rocks around for 12 hours a day, or a Cornishman using his dynamite skills to get employed as a miner, are totally over.

That doesn't even account for how many existing mines, having been dormant for decades, are now filled with water. The copper may be there, 8,000+ feet below, but who wants to spend the money to drain the old stopes?
                      Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 06-12-2017, 01:40 AM.

Comment

Perhaps I should say, I would love to see an economic boom in the Keweenaw (I took Prof. Lankton's Keweenaw history class! - I know how 'deep' mining goes in the area), but I'm being realistic.

Like 'spreader says, many people don't know just how "automated" mining is now. Drilling? Done by machine. Mucking & tramming? Done by machine. Many mines now use chemicals to more efficiently separate ore (hence the EPA site in Lake Linden), Sure, machines require operators and chemicals require Chem E's, but you need to know what you're doing to be employed. The days of a Finnish immigrant coming over and throwing/pushing rocks around for 12 hours a day, or a Cornishman using his dynamite skills to get employed as a miner, are totally over.

That doesn't even account for how many existing mines, having been dormant for decades, are now filled with water. The copper may be there, 8,000+ feet below, but who wants to spend the money to drain the old stopes?
                        Very good points you make. I realize mining isn't going to employ thousands like years ago. It is a good thing that there are regulations regarding mine waste chemicals and materials.

The mine in Humboldt in Western Marquette county is a new mine.It is a different way of mining compared to years ago. More automation and less labor. They would bring some job, but at least it would be better than nothing. I am sure that you would need training with all the new technology. That is a given. Any new amount of employment is good for the area. It is good to have discussions about it.

Back to hockey talk.

Comment

Very good points you make. I realize mining isn't going to employ thousands like years ago. It is a good thing that there are regulations regarding mine waste chemicals and materials.

The mine in Humboldt in Western Marquette county is a new mine.It is a different way of mining compared to years ago. More automation and less labor. They would bring some job, but at least it would be better than nothing. I am sure that you would need training with all the new technology. That is a given. Any new amount of employment is good for the area. It is good to have discussions about it.

Back to hockey talk.
                          The other problem you see with modern mining operations is that the labor is specialized so people move in with the company, take the minerals out and then move out with the company when they're on to the next mine...doesn't really end up helping the local economy at all...
                          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                            I took Prof. Lankton's Keweenaw history class! - I know how 'deep' mining goes in the area
                            I did as well. The best elective I took as part of my degree. I'm glad I left Tech with an appreciation for some of the local history. Since this thread has turned into "Economics of the UP" I'll throw in my two cents... made partial of copper! Ben Stein thought this had to do with "something D - O - O economics... Vodoo Economics", but I'm not sure...

Realistically, the reason mining isn't booming in the UP is that it isn't cost effective to extract right now. While the copper ore content may not be a good in AZ, it is cheaper to make a mile wide pit in AZ than to try and follow a pure copper vein 6,000 ft underground in the UP. Most of the major veins have been mined out of the UP. So until new technology comes along to make that type of mining more cost effective, UP mining is on hold. An example of new technology is companies coming along and reprocessing the waste "stamp sands" that were discarded by the mines decades ago. This started with dredges decades ago, and it continues today.

Active UP copper mining may be minimal now, but I did my part and exported roughly 15 lbs worth to Colorado during my last trip to campus back in March. (I had a really fun time explaining those in my carry on luggage...) Now I have a couple nice display items extracted from UP years ago as a reminder of my time at Tech and its rich mineral history (float copper on the left, vein copper on the right).

Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                            https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                            Originally posted by geezer
                            Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                            Originally posted by manurespreader
                            ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                              I did as well. The best elective I took as part of my degree. I'm glad I left Tech with an appreciation for some of the local history. Since this thread has turned into "Economics of the UP" I'll throw in my two cents... made partial of copper! Ben Stein thought this had to do with "something D - O - O economics... Vodoo Economics", but I'm not sure...

Realistically, the reason mining isn't booming in the UP is that it isn't cost effective to extract right now. While the copper ore content may not be a good in AZ, it is cheaper to make a mile wide pit in AZ than to try and follow a pure copper vein 6,000 ft underground in the UP. Most of the major veins have been mined out of the UP. So until new technology comes along to make that type of mining more cost effective, UP mining is on hold. An example of new technology is companies coming along and reprocessing the waste "stamp sands" that were discarded by the mines decades ago. This started with dredges decades ago, and it continues today.

Active UP copper mining may be minimal now, but I did my part and exported roughly 15 lbs worth to Colorado during my last trip to campus back in March. (I had a really fun time explaining those in my carry on luggage...) Now I have a couple nice display items extracted from UP years ago as a reminder of my time at Tech and its rich mineral history (float copper on the left, vein copper on the right).

I bought some copper last time I was up there as well to bring back to Raleigh with me, not 15lbs worth though, but yes, also had issues in my luggage.

Comment

In 1971 there was a labor dispute and a Federal mediator was brought in, but was unable to get anything done. He as a good friend of one of the Business Profs. He talked in Fisher Hall after the negotiations failed. Very interesting talk about the behind the scenes. The company cloed the mines down because of the cost to keep the water out of the mines. Since I graduated after that I don't know if the mines ever reopened. Two rumors that were going around at the time were that the cooper was so pure in could be turned in to wire, but the by produces were gold and platnium so it was refined, also they had found a vein of cooper that went from Houghton/ Hancock to Isle Royal, but the smallest piece they could find was the size of a house and they didn't know how to mine it.

Comment

Working...
                                X