X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech Off-season Revised - Onward and Upward

Originally posted by Broseph Stalin View Post
    You'll be fine with Shawhan but there is no pause button on your moral and spiritual makeup. His faith will be in the locker room along with the faiths and beliefs of each player or member of staff. Everyone subscribes to something.
    I'm sure. Here's the background in my case. I'M relatively religious. I studied the bible at one point, but I choose to not say much about it. One day i'm in a very close work environment with a stranger, who in a slow minute says," Have you been saved?" I'm like what? He repeats and spends the next 10 minutes talking about how important his faith is and how I should do what he does and how the bible says... blah , blah , blah.
    So me being me, I save up some ammunition from this tirade and I say, well yeah, but the bible also says, ... Which directly contradicts point 1, and says,.... which contradicts point two, and says..., which contradicts point three, etc. After that he shut the .... up. So sure everyone has their faith and it shows in their actions and all, and that's fine, but advertising it might not be the best choice.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Wondering if we hear anything on the second Assistant this Tuesday. They seem to like to make announcements on Tuesdays.

I'm more than wondering when we'll see an actual in depth interview with Shawhan and Steward in print. Or, better yet they sit down on video with Dirk. How hard can it be to set up a get to know the new coaches video/interview...

Comment

Mel always said he liked the team from last year, and they proved him right with a championship. It looks like this year the goalie situation starts as the biggest story, followed by who fills the d-men spots as Watson, Leibinger, and Hanna did as freshman. It looks like scoring will be up from last year as the forward depth looks positive.

??Depth chart??

LW
        Jackson
        Baltus
        Gillies
        Brice
        Russell
        Poikola

C
        Luchinni
        Steman
        Smith
        Reitmeyer
        Misiak
        Blacklock
        Anderson

RW
        L'Esperance
        Gould
        Gerrie
        Beretta

LD
        Auk
        Rostagno
        Donohue
        Watson/Rockwell

RD
        Reinke
        Birks
        Brown
        Meek

Any thoughts, wonder where Tech will be picked this year with the looming questions.
        Should be another fun year. Will there be any radio shows with Dirk, the Joe Shawhan show has a nice ring to it.....

Comment

I'm a little nervous about the d Corp, although I know nothing about the incoming freshman. Renke looks like our top d from where I'm sitting. Auk is terrific, he reminds me a bit of Subban, a great talent who sometimes tries to stick handle too much, it sure is pretty when it works though! I thought Birks was really good last year as well. I really noticed him a lot more than I had previously. I think that the strong, offensive minded D was one of the keys to their success in the past few years. Really looking forward to seeing the freshman on the ice!!

In all honesty, I enjoyed the Mel Show when Shawhan was on with Dirk even better than Mel. There is always a feeling to me that Mel was just a bit forced, trying to say the right things, not a knock, just my gut. Shawhan seemed so much more relaxed and genuine to me.
          Last edited by Scrum Bucket; 06-10-2017, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
            I'm not at all worried about MTU hockey turning into "Jesus in the locker room".
            Statistically, less than 1/3 of people (and probably even fewer hockey players) are evangelical/biblically religious. I think it could be a double edged sword for recruiting. Although most people would generally like the idea of their kid going into a "wholesome" program that teaches strong values, many would be a bit nervous about too much of a sectarian or fundamentalist bent. If this were football or basketball, I don't think the same risk would exist. I'll give Steward the benefit of the doubt, as his success in the USHL suggests that he's sophisticated enough to know how to integrate his beliefs into his life without alienating those who don't share them.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
              Mel always said he liked the team from last year, and they proved him right with a championship. It looks like this year the goalie situation starts as the biggest story, followed by who fills the d-men spots as Watson, Leibinger, and Hanna did as freshman. It looks like scoring will be up from last year as the forward depth looks positive.
              Any thoughts, wonder where Tech will be picked this year with the looming questions.
              Should be another fun year. Will there be any radio shows with Dirk, the Joe Shawhan show has a nice ring to it.....
              I'm not as bullish on this year's team as I have been in the past. I think the coaches and media polls will pick us somewhere in the middle of the pack this season....probably 3rd to 5th place. We have a big question in net and although we have a few strong defensemen and 4 or 5 very good forwards, we don't have any blue-chip scorers and less depth on D than in any of the last three seasons. I also think the coaching change will influence the perception of pre-season polls. We'll need 2 more defensemen and 2 forwards to step up to an elite level of play and we'll need a goalie to get hot in order to defy expectations.

Comment

I suspect we'll be picked 3rd or 4th in the preseason polls.

Comment

You have to look at the top 6 for scoring.
                  A top line of Jackson, Luchinni, and L'Esperance seems to be very difficult to match up against.
                  Leaving Baltus, Smith or Steman, and Gould to round out the top 6.

I have a feeling Smith will take that spot, and Dylan Steman will be the guy shutting down the other team a.k.a. Neville.....

I hope our forwards find the net more, with this top 6, they should score.....

Comment

• Originally posted by The Troll mtu86 View Post
                    Wondering if we hear anything on the second Assistant this Tuesday. They seem to like to make announcements on Tuesdays.

I'm more than wondering when we'll see an actual in depth interview with Shawhan and Steward in print. Or, better yet they sit down on video with Dirk. How hard can it be to set up a get to know the new coaches video/interview...
                    Lots of coaches have been out recruiting and scouting.

The subsequent post may have Rostagno a little high on the depth chart. Saw him play last year. If he were top 4 material as a freshman, he likely would have been in the USHL instead of the NAHL for all but 4 games over the past 2 years.

As for the preseason polls, it's very likely that last year's top 4 will be this year's preseason top 4. My best guess would be 1-BSU 2-MSU 3-MTU 4-BGSU.
                    Last edited by davyd83; 06-10-2017, 06:33 PM.
                    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Rostagno has been committed for so long, he should've been in Houghton by now if he was truly ready to play at the college level. But, either he will step up, or another guy will.

Also Dave, I think you meant "preceding", not "subsequent".

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                        Lots of coaches have been out recruiting and scouting.

The subsequent post may have Rostagno a little high on the depth chart. Saw him play last year. If he were top 4 material as a freshman, he likely would have been in the USHL instead of the NAHL for all but 4 games over the past 2 years.

As for the preseason polls, it's very likely that last year's top 4 will be this year's preseason top 4. My best guess would be 1-BSU 2-MSU 3-MTU 4-BGSU.
                        I understand that they are busy, and have been out recruiting. Yet a new coach, at a downstate school, who has been busy recruiting and even made it down to the Stanley Cup Finals, has found the time to do a radio interview, at least two video interviews, and a couple of print interviews...

You hire a new Coach you should be using this time to get him out there and create some excitement for the program and hire.. just saying.

As with others, I don't know what to make of Rostagno. He's been on the list for so long. Was he just not developing on schedule or did Tech not have slot for him and kept moving him back? I think Donahue could be the one to really step in. I read a report that had him as a mobile, puck moving D, leader. That should fit right in to Tech's game. Also I think Air Force was looking at him as well. I figure he should be a solid one.

Comment

I hope the powers that be at MTU keep the ticket prices at a fairly reasonable price as they are now. I know the prices here are less than some of the other WCHA venues. I am a season ticket holder and if I renew by the end of the month I get a good deal on the price compared to actual game day prices. We actually get 2 more home games (one extra series here than last year).

One thing I am scratching my head about is the almost $100 early bird price difference from last year. I talked to a couple of other season ticket holders and they are unsure if they are going to renew for this year. I will because I am a college hockey fanatic. If the price keeps rising I may have to think twice.
                          We here in the Keweenaw are kind of tucked away from the larger populated areas of the country. We still have high unemployment a lower wages and our economy is still trying to recover.
                          I remember Mel saying after one of the playoff games he wanted to keep playoff games at a reasonable price so that it could still be affordable to bring the family to watch. He said he would suggest that at WCHA end of year meeting. I hope Shawhan will suggest the same now that Mel has left our program.
                          Last edited by Wi.Huskies Fan; 06-11-2017, 11:59 AM.
                          MTU Huskies 3 time NCAA Champions... and going for more.
                          2017-18 WCHA playoff Pick'em Champion!

Comment

Originally posted by Wi.Huskies Fan View Post
                            I hope the powers that be at MTU keep the ticket prices at a fairly reasonable price as they are now. I know the prices here are less than some of the other WCHA venues. I am a season ticket holder and if I renew by the end of the month I get a good deal on the price compared to actual game day prices. We actually get 2 more home games (one extra series here than last year).

One thing I am scratching my head about is the almost $100 early bird price difference from last year. I talked to a couple of other season ticket holders and they are unsure if they are going to renew for this year. I will because I am a college hockey fanatic. If the price keeps rising I may have to think twice.
                            We here in the Keweenaw are kind of tucked away from the larger populated areas of the country. We still have high unemployment a lower wages and our economy is still trying to recover.
                            I remember Mel saying after one of the playoff games he wanted to keep playoff games at a reasonable price so that it could still be affordable to bring the family to watch. He said he would suggest that at WCHA end of year meeting. I hope Shawhan will suggest the same now that Mel has left our program.
                            What is the price for season tickets with the early bird special?

Comment

I know this is an issue with a lot of people and all over the country. At the same time, the costs borne by the university to provide this are ever increasing. Salaries increase, supplies cost more, everything. So pardon me if I'm not more understanding but it's not just in Houghton this is felt. The prices the university charges are around the lowest, if not the lowest in all of college hockey. Try to buy a season ticket at BC for example. Or at Cornell, which is out in the sticks, or even at Maine, where it's not well off.
                              MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Economy is always going to be based on tourism and MTU. The vast majority of the well-paying "blue collar labor" jobs are loooooong gone. Not sure what this hoped for "recovery" that you speak of looks like. Sad, but true.

Comment

Working...
                                X