Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Michigan Tech Off-season Revised - Onward and Upward

Quote Originally Posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
    There is a great interview with Mel on WTKA on their website with their equivalent of Dirk Hembroth. He sounds just like Monday mornings on the Mel Pearson show.

I learned a bit from the interview, Mitch Reinke going to Calgary Flames development camp, none of the Michigan Tech assistants are heading to UM. He indicated Billy Muckalt is on the list as preferred assistant with him.

He indicated he was up late answering texts from UM alumni hockey players and The Michigan Tech faithful. He said Tech comments ranged from being sad, happy and mad.

He bragged about our d-Corp this year and mentioned how we lost Pheonix and Angus early. Also said we had some **** good hockey players during his tenure.

Take a listen, it might help to soothe the vitriol. I have calmed down a bit now making it to step 3 in the grieving process. On a positive note, I plan to skip step 4 entirely and go right to step 5 when the Huskies announce a great selection for this upcoming season.
    Despite my fondness for Mel, I can never root for UM unless they are playing North Dakota, St. Cloud, or Miami (OH).
    Can't find it. Can you post the link to the interview?

I love (goal) lamp

Re: Michigan Tech Off-season Revised - Onward and Upward

Quote Originally Posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    Depending on how this plays out, one possible scenario is:
    1) Muckalt becomes MTU HC
    2) Ellsworth becomes Tri-City HC
    3) They both succeed in those rolls
    4) Muckalt moves on to an AHL/top tier college job
    5) Ellsworth becomes MTU HC
    Like I have said, I have no clue about this whole process, but what about Muckalt with Ellsworth as assistant?
    2005-2006: 7-25-6
    2006-2007: 18-17-5
    2007-2008: 14-20-5
    2008-2009: 6-25-7
    2009-2010: 5-30-1

I love (goal) lamp

Quote Originally Posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
    There is a great interview with Mel on WTKA on their website with their equivalent of Dirk Hembroth. He sounds just like Monday mornings on the Mel Pearson show.

I learned a bit from the interview, Mitch Reinke going to Calgary Flames development camp, none of the Michigan Tech assistants are heading to UM. He indicated Billy Muckalt is on the list as preferred assistant with him.

He indicated he was up late answering texts from UM alumni hockey players and The Michigan Tech faithful. He said Tech comments ranged from being sad, happy and mad.

He bragged about our d-Corp this year and mentioned how we lost Pheonix and Angus early. Also said we had some **** good hockey players during his tenure.

Take a listen, it might help to soothe the vitriol. I have calmed down a bit now making it to step 3 in the grieving process. On a positive note, I plan to skip step 4 entirely and go right to step 5 when the Huskies announce a great selection for this upcoming season.
    Despite my fondness for Mel, I can never root for UM unless they are playing North Dakota, St. Cloud, or Miami (OH).
    Sorry, Hembroth made me laugh, it's Hembroff

Quote Originally Posted by bose301s View Post
    Sorry, Hembroth made me laugh, it's Hembroff
    Sorry I am 48, and make the occasional inadvertent typo.

Also Tech engineers outnumber Michigan engineers at my work by a 2-1 margin🇫🇮😀

Here is the link
    https://audioboom.com/posts/5853601-04-mel-pearson-in-studio-042517?t=0
    Last edited by Huskiefan906; 04-27-2017 at 10:46 PM.

Like I have said, I have no clue about this whole process, but what about Muckalt with Ellsworth as assistant?
    With the position Tech is in, it will be interesting to see which direction they go. They proved with Mel that they are willing to make things happen.

I really like the idea of Muckalt as the HC with Ellsworth and Shawhan as assistants. That way if Muckalt leaves in a few years Ellsworth could step in. I really really like coach Shawhan and the value he brings to the program, however I'm not sold as him as the head coach. For whatever reason I've never been a fan of Shuchuk so it won't hurt my feelings if he is not part of the future of Michigan Tech Hockey.

Inspired by Actual Events

I'm sure the HC will have full control over assistant hires. Ellsworth seems great, but has Muckalt ever even met him?

Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    I'm sure the HC will have full control over assistant hires. Ellsworth seems great, but has Muckalt ever even met him?
    I think its possible, I'm sure they've crossed paths on the recruiting trail...especially over the last 2 years with Ellsworth recruiting players from Tri-City like freshman Mattias Goransson...
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Yeah, it feels unlikely that you'd just get those three guys together whom THG has floated as possibilities.

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

I love (goal) lamp

Quote Originally Posted by <3_Blizzard View Post
    I really like the idea of Muckalt as the HC with Ellsworth and Shawhan as assistants. That way if Muckalt leaves in a few years Ellsworth could step in. I really really like coach Shawhan and the value he brings to the program, however I'm not sold as him as the head coach. For whatever reason I've never been a fan of Shuchuk so it won't hurt my feelings if he is not part of the future of Michigan Tech Hockey.
    The one thing I see with that is both Ellsworth and Shawhan are goalies and goalie coaches, not that that's bad, but I think it is good to have someone with offensive, someone with defensive and someone with goalie experience as coaches.

Lightbulb Re: Michigan Tech Off-season Revised - Onward and Upward

The one thing I see with that is both Ellsworth and Shawhan are goalies and goalie coaches, not that that's bad, but I think it is good to have someone with offensive, someone with defensive and someone with goalie experience as coaches.
    For "offensive" experience, I nominate John Scott. Seriously, is he available?
    "Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
    Abe Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Orange Husky View Post
    For "offensive" experience, I nominate John Scott. Seriously, is he available?
    Maybe we should ask Scott what he thinks of Rolston?
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Exclamation Re: Michigan Tech Off-season Revised - Onward and Upward

If you have a feeling of deja-vu about all of this like I do, it's because we've had 8 head coaches during Red Berenson's reign as Michigan's HC...
    Last edited by Burnt Orange Husky; 04-29-2017 at 12:06 AM.
    "Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
    Abe Lincoln

If you have a feeling of deja-vu about all of this like I do, it's because we've had 8 head coaches during Red Berenson's reign as Michigan's HC...
    So? Red proved himself worthy of a career tenure. Those 8 Tech coaches either failed, or quickly moved on after enjoying a handful of years of upward success.

It's 2017, and we're not a destination. As Don Henley sang 23 years ago, "Get over it". Hire the best coach we can get for the duration.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

Coach Emeritus
    Enjoying the arrival of the Broadmoor Trophy in 2017
    And the skunkies had 5 coaches from 1973 to 1984. I'm sure you realize that a guy who spends 33 years in a job is the exception rather than the rule.

So after all the discussion at the coaches convention, get back to campus, sort the resumes, choose the interviews and then select the finalists.
    Has anyone heard of a search committee assisting? I would assume the sentiment of the top candidates is now known.

What would you feel about how much longer the wait will be until the scheduling of a press conference?

What would you feel about how much longer the wait will be until the scheduling of a press conference?

Better not be too much longer, o can't handle the suspense.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MTUHuskies View Post

Better not be too much longer, o can't handle the suspense.

Last time it wasn't until June. Suzanne needs to make sure she's covering all her bases.

Quote Originally Posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    Last time it wasn't until June. Suzanne needs to make sure she's covering all her bases.
    I know and I agree that she needs to do her due diligence, but I'm just an impatient kind of guy.

Quote Originally Posted by MTUHuskies View Post
    I know and I agree that she needs to do her due diligence, but I'm just an impatient kind of guy.

gives me time to write a lot of profiles, anyone I'm missing?

Thread Information