X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Michigan Tech Off-season Revised - Onward and Upward

Originally posted by Burnt Orange Husky View Post
    Have you ever been to Houghton? Unsurpassed natural beauty and great skiing, better than anything in Ohio and the Lower Peninsula. We could use Michigan's money to pay the buy out.

If Bergeron is not an outdoor sportsman, then you are correct. Obviously, Mel was not a nature lover because there's nothing in Ann Arbor and skiing is hours away...
    You're rationalizing...
    Originally posted by alfablue
    Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
    Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
    I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

I think all of us realize that Billy most likely won't stay long term, and if for some reason he's still at MTU when Mel retires, I won't have any illusions that he'd choose MTU over Michigan at that point, if offered.
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
        He also has unfinished business at Michigan...
        Just go away, go post your crap over on the Michigan thread. You got your coach now live with him. A word of caution, we spent 30 years trying to find another Coach MacInnes and went through all of his assistants. Mel may be your answer but then again, maybe not. His success at Tech may not be transferable to Michigan. Please just go away, you're dead to me...
        Last edited by Burnt Orange Husky; 04-26-2017, 10:48 PM.
        "Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
        Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
          You're rationalizing...
          You've obviously haven't been to the UP or you wouldn't be so ignorant. I grew up in Ann Arbor and I've forgotten more about it than you'll ever know. It was nice back in the 60s and 70s but now it's just filled with liberal, Harbaugh jock sniffers. It's a sad little town. You should get out more. Outside of the Detroit area, the rest of state supports MSU...
          Last edited by Burnt Orange Husky; 04-27-2017, 09:44 AM.
          Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
            I think all of us realize that Billy most likely won't stay long term, and if for some reason he's still at MTU when Mel retires, I won't have any illusions that he'd choose MTU over Michigan at that point, if offered.
            Shirtless, there are other alternatives, why would we want to do this again, if done right this coach can be in place for a good long run.
            I really like Rolston, Larson, and Barr due to the credentials and recruiting strengths.
            Last edited by Huskiefan906; 04-26-2017, 10:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
              Shirtless, there are other alternatives, why would we want to do this again.
              I really like Rolston, Larson, and Barr due to the credentials and recruiting strengths.
              The biggest reason is familiarity. Muckalt and Whitten recruited most of the guys on the team. We don't know what the future holds and you can't let losing the best candidate in some future scenario effect the choice you make today. Now, in saying that, I am not saying that Muckalt is the best candidate, I just think he is one of the most likely, straight forward choices for Suzanne. It's hard not to like the guy if you've been around him. One of the reasons he goes near the top of the list is because I'm personally positive that he's interested in the job. There are only a handful of people on that list that I can say that about with any certainty, the rest is just speculation at this point.

Suzanne has a very difficult decision to make, her predecessor failed to choose Mel multiple times because they were afraid of what happen Monday and look where that left this program for how many years? I'd much rather have more good years and worry about the next coach after this one leaves than accept a lessor candidate because we're not afraid he'll leave for another job.

We have to accept the fact that we are a wonderful Mid-Major program in college hockey right now. That doesn't mean we can't win a national championship, but there are greener pastures for a successful coach to consider beyond MTU. We can be Gonzaga, Wichita State, or Butler, but much like them, it's inevitable that someone bigger will come along and want our coach.

You mean to tell me that Larson, Jackson, or Barr wouldn't entertain offers if UMD, UND, or Minnesota comes knocking (as an example)? We're always going to have an issue with that, even with an alum, as we learned. I just think that we'll be far happier succeeding now and being far more prepared for the departure next time.
              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Barr is too far east, no way are they getting him to go to Houghton.

Just spitballing through your list, I like Rolston or Muckalt. I could see Larson trying to make the jump, but his brief stint as a USHL head wasn't too great - I would prefer Eades (if he's interested). I could also see giving the reins to Shawhan.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                  Barr is too far east, no way are they getting him to go to Houghton.

Just spitballing through your list, I like Rolston or Muckalt. I could see Larson trying to make the jump, but his brief stint as a USHL head wasn't too great - I would prefer Eades (if he's interested). I could also see giving the reins to Shawhan.
                  Barr was born in Minnesota and spent two years with Western Michigan. I think its possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                    The biggest reason is familiarity. Muckalt and Whitten recruited most of the guys on the team. We don't know what the future holds and you can't let losing the best candidate in some future scenario effect the choice you make today. Now, in saying that, I am not saying that Muckalt is the best candidate, I just think he is one of the most likely, straight forward choices for Suzanne. It's hard not to like the guy if you've been around him. One of the reasons he goes near the top of the list is because I'm personally positive that he's interested in the job. There are only a handful of people on that list that I can say that about with any certainty, the rest is just speculation at this point.

Suzanne has a very difficult decision to make, her predecessor failed to choose Mel multiple times because they were afraid of what happen Monday and look where that left this program for how many years? I'd much rather have more good years and worry about the next coach after this one leaves than accept a lessor candidate because we're not afraid he'll leave for another job.

We have to accept the fact that we are a wonderful Mid-Major program in college hockey right now. That doesn't mean we can't win a national championship, but there are greener pastures for a successful coach to consider beyond MTU. We can be Gonzaga, Wichita State, or Butler, but much like them, it's inevitable that someone bigger will come along and want our coach.

You mean to tell me that Larson, Jackson, or Barr wouldn't entertain offers if UMD, UND, or Minnesota comes knocking (as an example)? We're always going to have an issue with that, even with an alum, as we learned. I just think that we'll be far happier succeeding now and being far more prepared for the departure next time.
                    I agree, but a 200k+ salary to one of the current hot assistants would aid in trying to retain. I am wondering how Coach Shawhan and Coach Shuchuk are feeling. I think they played a big part in the success.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
                      I agree, but a 200k+ salary to one of the current hot assistants would aid in trying to retain. I am wondering how Coach Shawhan and Coach Shuchuk are feeling. I think they played a big part in the success.
                      I agree. there are some great candidates and it will be tough for suzanne. I also like shawhan quite a bit. There are some guys on the list who I think haven't shown the leadership qualities I'd like to see.
                      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Did John MacInnes ever say why he stayed at Tech so many years? I'm sure he had could have gone to a larger school with better facilities any time he wanted. Just wondering...
                        Last edited by Burnt Orange Husky; 04-27-2017, 10:08 AM.
                        Abe Lincoln

Comment

Did John MacInnes ever say why he stayed at Tech so many years? I'm sure he had could have gone to a larger school with better facilities any time he wanted. Just wondering...
                          College sports certainly weren't the arms race they are today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                          What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

It was a different world. I'm sure MTU would have had a better shot at keeping Mel if Mel had 3 straight 20 win seasons in the old WCHA where that meant an NCAA tournament bid (without winning the Broadmoor) every year.

Comment

Why would he need to go when he was competing with those "larger" schools already?

Comment

Second profile was yesterday, Ron Rolston:
                                http://techhockeyguide.com/news/2017...ch-ron-rolston

Comment

Working...
                                X