Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Michigan Tech Off-season Revised - Onward and Upward

Re: Michigan Tech Off-season Revised - Onward and Upward

Quote Originally Posted by Biddco View Post
    holy ****. That's insane.

I see that this is a trend for Tech, scheduling tons of games (like most in teh country last year) each year. Wonder why Mel did that?
    Mel wanted to catch John MacInnes' win total. He knew he could because he was planning to stay at Tech for the long haul.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Maybe y'all can play at UAH over a break and play a neutral-site game on Tue/Wed in Huntsville and get in four games in six games.

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Cool Re: Michigan Tech Off-season Revised - Onward and Upward

I see that this is a trend for Tech, scheduling tons of games (like most in teh country last year) each year. Wonder why Mel did that?
    Check his contract. It may include a bonus if he wins X number of games or percentage of games. FWIW, Bemidji played only 2 non-conference games while Tech played 8.

Speaking of contracts, does anyone have any info on Mel's UofM compensation package?
    Last edited by Burnt Orange Husky; 05-04-2017 at 09:10 AM.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Orange Husky View Post
    Check his contract. It may include a bonus if he wins X number of games or percentage of games. FWIW, Bemidji played only 2 non-conference games while Tech played 8.

Speaking of contracts, does anyone have any info on Mel's UofM compensation package?
    Mel's contract did not have any explicitly documented bonuses.
    We're working on the Michigan contract.

Just curious, what year did Bemidji only play two non-conference games? They have always been at the 6 or 8 non-conference game threshold. There were two years they did the "double Alaska", but Tom Serratore feels that the bye week is better for his team than the two extra games.
    Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
    FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
    NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
    NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
    NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
    NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
    Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
    Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Bemidji played 2 games at North Dakota, 2 home against Princeton, Home & Away vs UMD and also played St. Cloud & Minnesota in the North Star Cup in St. Paul in non-conference play in the 2016-17 season. Bemidji also played 8 non-conference games in each of the 3 prior seasons since the formation of the "new" WCHA.
    Last edited by davyd83; 05-04-2017 at 11:27 AM.

Michigan Tech Fan

I think the number of non-conference games being scheduled recently, especially tourneys where you can face two different teams in two days, simply underscored Mel's understanding of how the NCAA tourney bids really worked. Being on the committee I am sure he was quite familiar of how to give yourself an edge to make the field. Getting a variety of opportunities for quality win bonuses against NC teams is key, something we've all seen the last two season the WCHA as a whole was sorely lacking. Just look at the NCHC - they are getting teams in the tourney that are barely over 0.500 because they get a few key wins over teams that also have a lot of wins. Meanwhile the WCHA teams with 0.600+ win percentage are sitting out. When you really look at the formula, the NCAA tourney for hockey has very little to do with number of wins, but rather WHO did you beat.

One of the Red's post-retirement interviews discussed why Michigan never played Tech for so many years, other than at the GLI. Red mentioned that Mel was in charge of scheduling all those years. So that tells me, Mel saw no value in Michigan playing Tech when they were a dumpster fire because there was no upside for Michigan, even if they beat Tech.

As for the 7 exempt games in 2017-18, I think Tech would be foolish to increase the number of games played over what they've already done the last couple seasons. At some point, the guys need a week off to refocus and just get away from the rink, especially once in the last month of the regular season like we had last year. Ideally I think that slot is the weekend after the emotional high of Winter Carnival. That following weekend always seems to be an opportunity to be a let down and not be ready to go the following week.

Ryan J
    Last edited by JohnsonsJerseys; 05-04-2017 at 11:40 AM.
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    http://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.

Mighty Techster

Quote Originally Posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
    One of the Red's post-retirement interviews discussed why Michigan never played Tech for so many years, other than at the GLI. Red mentioned that Mel was in charge of scheduling all those years. So that tells me, Mel saw no value in Michigan playing Tech when they were a dumpster fire because there was no upside for Michigan, even if they beat Tech.
    Understandable.

There aren't a lot of practices among college hockey coaches that Mel has criticized. He certainly doesn't like the poaching of verbally committed recruits, so I wouldn't expect any of ours to bolt for Michigan unless they decommitted before approaching Mel. On the other hand, I've never heard him complain about the 2-for-1 deals we had to make with bigger schools. So I don't expect 1-for-1s with Michigan now that one of "our" guys is their coach.

I think the number of non-conference games being scheduled recently, especially tourneys where you can face two different teams in two days, simply underscored Mel's understanding of how the NCAA tourney bids really worked. Being on the committee I am sure he was quite familiar of how to give yourself an edge to make the field. Getting a variety of opportunities for quality win bonuses against NC teams is key, something we've all seen the last two season the WCHA as a whole was sorely lacking. Just look at the NCHC - they are getting teams in the tourney that are barely over 0.500 because they get a few key wins over teams that also have a lot of wins. Meanwhile the WCHA teams with 0.600+ win percentage are sitting out. When you really look at the formula, the NCAA tourney for hockey has very little to do with number of wins, but rather WHO did you beat.
    Honestly, that's the best indicator of quality. The issue is that we don't have a ton of interactions.

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Coach Emeritus
    Enjoying the arrival of the Broadmoor Trophy in 2017

Interesting that the Hall of Fame game at Madison is not yet included here. Oversight?

http://michigantechhuskies.com/sport...17-18/schedule

Quote Originally Posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
    Interesting that the Hall of Fame game at Madison is not yet included here. Oversight?

http://michigantechhuskies.com/sport...17-18/schedule
    Where is the GLI?

Coach Emeritus
    Enjoying the arrival of the Broadmoor Trophy in 2017

Quote Originally Posted by MTUHuskies View Post
    Where is the GLI?

Dates won't be announced until June, have to wait for the NHL and NBA schedules to be accounted for first.

Still upright

Quote Originally Posted by redwing61 View Post
    Understandable.

There aren't a lot of practices among college hockey coaches that Mel has criticized. He certainly doesn't like the poaching of verbally committed recruits, so I wouldn't expect any of ours to bolt for Michigan unless they decommitted before approaching Mel. On the other hand, I've never heard him complain about the 2-for-1 deals we had to make with bigger schools. So I don't expect 1-for-1s with Michigan now that one of "our" guys is their coach.
    Personally I'd be happy with the GLi as our only big ten games vs Michigan..... and i'm against scheduling 2 for 1's with anyone.

The GLi is at little Ceaser's arena.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Follow me on Twitter: @Biddco Biddco's Avatar

So that tells me, Mel saw no value in Michigan playing Tech when they were a dumpster fire because there was no upside for Michigan, even if they beat Tech.
    This is silly. He didn't play them because he was already playing them or Michigan State at the GLI, which was enough to get a PWR comparison win against the Big Ten.
    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Out of context
    This is silly. He didn't play them because he was already playing them or Michigan State at the GLI, which was enough to get a PWR comparison win against the Big Ten.
    I'd have to agree with you, this is a more reasonable assessment. The fact that the ugly helmets didn't have to fly to "the middle of nowhere" (they can stay the eff out for all I care, downstate sucks compared to Gods Country) was just an added bonus for them.

Not to mention. That during that time, Michigan was traveling to NMU and LSSU...don't need 3 up trips.

THG has confirmed that Bill Muckalt is in Houghton, likely for an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    Or his first assignment as U of M assistant is to clean out Mel's old house.

Mighty Techster

Quote Originally Posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    I choose to believe you have guys in trenchcoats and shades hanging out at the airport, the SDC, and the Pilgrim River Steakhouse. Don't ruin this mental image for me.

Out of context
    Quote Originally Posted by redwing61 View Post
    I choose to believe you have guys in trenchcoats and shades hanging out at the airport, the SDC, and the Pilgrim River Steakhouse. Don't ruin this mental image for me.
    Honestly, pilgrim river sucks. Take them out to fitzgeralds in eagle harbor for whiskey and burnt ends and freighters off the shore

Thread Information