X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech Off-season Revised - Onward and Upward

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
    Based on a study I was working using data for the last 20 years of college hockey. I compared the final three seasons of the predecessor with the first three seasons of the successor. Only six program who had a .500+ record promoted an assistant.
    1. Minnesota State - Troy Jutting
    2. Niagara - Dave Burkholder
    3. Princeton - Len Quesnelle
    4. Alaska-Fairbanks -Tavis MacMillan
    5. North Dakota - Dave Hakstol
    6. Union - Rick Bennett

Only Rick Bennett improved on his predecessor's record, improving +0.101. Len Quesnelle had a net change of -0.239 sinking the program below .500. Tavis MacMillan also dropped UAF below .500 in his first 3 years.
    I'll stand up for Dave Burkholder here. Dave did a fine job replacing Blaise McDonald when he jumped to Lowell, but the Purple Eagles really haven't been the same since the CHA met its timely demise. Once the kids he recruited to be a part of a CHA team were gone, he never recovered. Go look how senior-laden that 12-13 team was.

GFM <— "Call me, Burky!"
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Comment

According to Brad Schlossman:
      Mel Pearson's contract with Michigan: 5 years, $350k base + $50k annual stay bonus. Michigan pays $250k buyout from Tech contract.
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

If what I heard is correct then.. he took less money to go to U of M and informed the team he left by email :/ kinda disappointing.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatch_man View Post
          If what I heard is correct then.. he took less money to go to U of M and informed the team he left by email :/ kinda disappointing.
          to be fair, U of M also offers more "other income" that really doesn't end up on a contract.
          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

I don't believe either of those items are correct. Mel was making $275k per season at Tech with an additional $25k per season in deferred compensation due him down the road. So Michigan is paying him $100k more per year in base salary and he likely will have other sources of income that wouldn't have been available at Tech. Regarding his departure notification, while I haven't seen anything official in print, I was told there was a team meeting with the players.
            Ryan
            Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
            https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
            Originally posted by geezer
            Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
            Originally posted by manurespreader
            ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

I was told there was a team meeting before he left to AA and that was before he was hired, but not after he accepted the job. As for salary, not counting the "other income" UofM may give, If I heard correctly, the offered raise by MTU would have been on par with UofM not more.
              Last edited by Hatch_man; 05-08-2017, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bose301s View Post
                You don't think Payne would take a shot?
                He had some ties to Anchorage, but probably never considered the UAA job. MTU is having some great success but is that enough?
                Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

THG review of week two in the coaching search:
                  http://techhockeyguide.com/news/2017...xt-a-fortnight

Comment

Originally posted by bose301s View Post
                    You don't think Payne would take a shot?
                    I see Payne as only being in the pros. Can he relate to the college players?
                    Last edited by giwan; 05-08-2017, 11:13 PM.

Comment

My guesses as to who actually applied and is in the "Group of 8" interviewees, from the 16 profiled by THG:

-Muckalt (confirmed interview)
                      -Shawhan (confirmed interview)
                      -Shuchuk (confirmed interview)
                      -Rolston
                      -Larson
                      -Ellsworth
                      -Mikesch (confirmed interview, per below)
                      -Knott

I'm assuming there may also be a 'wildcard' candidate that hasn't been sussed out yet, who gets the 8th interview in lieu of one of the younger/less experienced coaches.
                      Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 05-09-2017, 09:42 AM.

Comment

I was told there was a team meeting before he left to AA and that was before he was hired, but not after he accepted the job.
                        LOL...when I saw AA I was confused and thought, "Why was he going to Alaska Anchorage?" FWIW, Ann Arbor is commonly abbreviated as A2.
                        "Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
                        Abe Lincoln

Comment

From what I understand there is more to this decision than meets the eye. But can we move forward now please.
                          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Pat Mikesch interviews today and tomorrow.

Comment

I know we heard how many people applied for the NMU position, any indication how many applied for us?
                              2005-2006: 7-25-6
                              2006-2007: 18-17-5
                              2007-2008: 14-20-5
                              2008-2009: 6-25-7
                              2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                                Pat Mikesch interviews today and tomorrow.
                                well since you brought it up, THG can confirm that Pat Mikesch will get an in person interview with MTU.
                                Last edited by Shirtless Guy; 05-09-2017, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X