X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech Off-season Revised - Onward and Upward

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    We've whittled the list way down but I'm not sure we're comfortable talking about thing that way. have been completely unable to get anyone to say anyone is the next coach.
    That last part is what I find impressive. A deal has been struck and no one knows. Heck Buccigross had the Mel P. news hours before it was reported anywhere else. Havne't seen anythign that anyone knows, Tech Hockey Guide, Schlossman, no one has come out staying who it is.

Comment

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
      That last part is what I find impressive. A deal has been struck and no one knows. Heck Buccigross had the Mel P. news hours before it was reported anywhere else. Havne't seen anythign that anyone knows, Tech Hockey Guide, Schlossman, no one has come out staying who it is.
      I've chatted with schlossman, we're all in the same boat. I think you can all take a guess why they've been able to keep it a secret, but I can't publish anything based solely on that.
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
        Still a 3 man race, the big question is what the ranking was for offers out of the interviews and whether the first choice accepted.
        I think based on the timing, we will be happy.
        Turn down likely a 250-300,000 job is surprising, but means pro aspirations are still there most likely for RR or he is content and could not commit long term.

2A Ellsworth
        2B Shawhan

I do not think we can lose with either. Do not be let down.
        The big question is youth or experience wins out.

I wonder now if both are on the staff and if experience is chosen, like Muckalt at Michigan, we also have our coach in waiting.

Cam brings recruiting, Shawhan most likely the best person to keep it going if we can recruit from the bench management.

So in trying to wonder which way they wil go, I think it is now quite possible they have selected their next two coaches.

The best for now with the needed piece for Coach Shawhan, and the job Cam aspires to waiting years down the road.
        Last edited by Huskiefan906; 05-29-2017, 07:08 AM.

Comment

Didn't see this earlier, brought up one thing I did not see mentioned previously

http://www.mininggazette.com/sports/...oving-forward/

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
            Didn't see this earlier, brought up one thing I did not see mentioned previously
            http://www.mininggazette.com/sports/...oving-forward/
            Nice article. While we're waiting, here's an article from the Flim Flon 'theReminder' newspaper about our former coach. He talks about recruits Alex Smith and Greyson Reitmeier:
            Reitmeier, last year’s SJHL scoring leader and player of the year, will join Tech next season. The prospect of facing the 6-ft 4-in power forward isn’t a fun one, even for Pearson. “I was thinking… ‘Eeee…can I get him here?’” he said, before adding with a wry chuckle, “I have to be careful, don’t want to burn too many bridges back there.”
            I never heard before that he worked in the zinc mining industry during the summers...
            Last edited by Burnt Orange Husky; 05-29-2017, 12:48 PM.
            "Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
            Abe Lincoln

Comment

Huh... I don't know about that not wanting to burn bridges part. It looks like Jack Becker (per his twitter account) is now headed to Michigan.

I was hoping for Rolston. So I'll have to take a wait and see approach to who gets it. See how next season goes before I get too high or low about the hire.

Heard Shawhan was scouting the Muskegon Lumberjacks camp over the weekend. A couple of Tech commits were there, Blake Pietila and Evan Orr.

Comment

Joe Shawhan next coach of Huskies

Comment

Originally posted by buffer side View Post
                  Joe Shawhan next coach of Huskies
                  If true I wonder what the chances of Ellsworth getting an assistant position is.
                  2005-2006: 7-25-6
                  2006-2007: 18-17-5
                  2007-2008: 14-20-5
                  2008-2009: 6-25-7
                  2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

Free Press is reporting it's Shawhan so there you go.

Comment

I'm quite happy with this pick. Some will see him as the conservative hire, and he is, but he's been a substantial part of our success the last 3 years, and he definitely knows how to recruit and develop players.

Comment

Originally posted by Broseph Stalin View Post
                        Free Press is reporting it's Shawhan so there you go.
                        Here's the link:
                        Tech expected to name Shawhan hockey coach; Muckalt returning to U-M hockey as assistant

Interesting to note that he was a goalie...like Coach MacInnes...
                        Last edited by Burnt Orange Husky; 05-29-2017, 02:14 PM.
                        Abe Lincoln

Comment

I'll admit, I was hoping for a bigger name, but I think Shawhan is a good choice and has obviously been around the program and gotten acquanted with it over the past 3 years so I have faith in him. Wonder who his assistants will be, wouldn't mind him keeping Shuchuk on.

Comment

• Originally posted by bose301s View Post
                            I'll admit, I was hoping for a bigger name, but I think Shawhan is a good choice and has obviously been around the program and gotten acquanted with it over the past 3 years so I have faith in him. Wonder who his assistants will be, wouldn't mind him keeping Shuchuk on.
                            I too think this is a good choice, but go for the gusto and get Ellsworth for D and goaltending and retain Gary Shuchuk for the Forwards. This group can get to the frozen four soon.....

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
                              I too think this is a good choice, but go for the gusto and get Ellsworth for D and goaltending and retain Gary Shuchuk for the Forwards. This group can get to the frozen four soon.....
                              Shawhan was a goalie coach at NMU and I think when Mel brought him in that was part of the goal, to get him to work with the goalies. Not saying I don't want Ellsworth because I absolutely do, but Shawhan is a good goalie coach himself.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                                I'm quite happy with this pick. Some will see him as the conservative hire, and he is, but he's been a substantial part of our success the last 3 years, and he definitely knows how to recruit and develop players.
                                I think it's a great pick for the sake of continuity and allows the team to hit the ice at full speed in the fall. I concur that Ellsworth would be a powerful addition to the staff for recruiting.
                                Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                                X