This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech Off-season Revised - Onward and Upward

No mention / questions about assistant coaches?

Comment

Media really dropped the ball just then. Nobody could bother to ask him publicly about assistants or recruiting philosophy or playing style or anything else? Come on.
      Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
      USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
        Media really dropped the ball just then. Nobody could bother to ask him publicly about assistants or recruiting philosophy or playing style or anything else? Come on.
        Well there is Daver, Dirk.... yeah that's it. Maybe the local TV feed out of Calumet or Marquette. I doubt anyone came up from Detroit to cover the presser.
        Ryan J
        Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
        https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
        Originally posted by geezer
        Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
        Originally posted by manurespreader
        ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

I agree, I think if you demand things, they get held to higher standard not just good as is. Too polite? Too nice? Good ole yooper boy?

Comment

Let him enjoy his day a little bit
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
              Let him enjoy his day a little bit
              Fair enough!

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                While I agree with you that he is unlikely to leave, contracts really don't mean much...that's why we had to have a coaching search.
                Oh, I agree on contracts. I just find it funny some people on here are taking it for granted that he would make what appears like a lateral move (I know geography and family are going to matter). Some of you are taking it as a foregone conclusion.

I have enjoyed reading your thread the last few weeks though. Levels of homerism like this are just not there in the East anymore.
                BS UMass Lowell 2015
                PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                  Well there is Daver, Dirk.... yeah that's it. Maybe the local TV feed out of Calumet or Marquette. I doubt anyone came up from Detroit to cover the presser.
                  Ryan J
                  I know. Daver is who I was hollering at thru my screen. He had at least a day to prep for this.
                  However... leaving aside the unanswered questions, I approve of this hire. Joe is a players' coach all the way, very down to earth and friendly and will inspire loyalty. Has been around a long time and has had success everywhere.
                  Last edited by geezer; 05-30-2017, 09:25 AM.
                  Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                  USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Wish there were some media questions! Potential timing on assistants and style of play would've been nice.

I took Suzanne's list of names as maybe being the committee members. Good to here a little more confirmation that Baltus will be back next year when Suzanne talked about Neville/Baltus and one graduated and one will be back.

I'm curious to see how this goes. Not a flashy pick, and they've made sure to sell his past success through records and quotes from bigger names in hockey. He's a players coach and he really cares about relationships, but will that be enough to sell the program to the community and alumni for support.

Comment

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
                      Wish there were some media questions! Potential timing on assistants and style of play would've been nice.

I took Suzanne's list of names as maybe being the committee members. Good to here a little more confirmation that Baltus will be back next year when Suzanne talked about Neville/Baltus and one graduated and one will be back.

I'm curious to see how this goes. Not a flashy pick, and they've made sure to sell his past success through records and quotes from bigger names in hockey. He's a players coach and he really cares about relationships, but will that be enough to sell the program to the community and alumni for support.
                      I don't think selling to the community and alumni is as much an issue. Win they will be there, but to win you need the recruits. Can he and his assistants get them and develop them. I think it's been shown they can develop them but can they get them?

Comment

It will be very interesting to me to see who Joe Shawhan will get as assistants.
                        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                          It will be very interesting to me to see who Joe Shawhan will get as assistants.
                          I think it's very likely that Shuchuk remains. I could see the following a similar path as NMU and dipping into the USHL for the #2. St Norbert's AJ Aiken may also be a candidate for that role.
                          Last edited by davyd83; 05-30-2017, 11:50 AM.
                          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                            I think it's very likely that Shuchuk remains. I could see the following a similar path as NMU and dipping into the USHL for the #2. St Norbert's AJ Aiken may also be a candidate for that roll.
                            That is possible. I just don't know Shawhan's connections, but obviously that is one of the next assignments for THG...

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                              If you remember (or maybe didn't know), Joe Shawhan was Cam Ellsworth's coach with the Soo Indians.
                              Thanks. I didn't know that.
                              "Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
                              Abe Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                                I think it's very likely that Shuchuk remains. I could see the following a similar path as NMU and dipping into the USHL for the #2. St Norbert's AJ Aiken may also be a candidate for that role.
                                It would seem very problematic to have an AC who invests so little on the recruiting side. I think (hope) we are looking at two new coaches. These roles are critical to Joe's success. Best to make the tough decisions now because there are no guarantees he will get a second chance to hire the right guys later.

Comment

Working...
                                X