This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech Off-season Revised - Onward and Upward

I wonder if Mikesch got hired if he still keeps in touch with or would try to bring Cam in as an assistant.

Comment

IIRC, Mikesch left before Jamie was let go, did he leave on his own or was he let go as to try and right the sinking ship?
      2005-2006: 7-25-6
      2006-2007: 18-17-5
      2007-2008: 14-20-5
      2008-2009: 6-25-7
      2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

Mikesch coached with Russellbin 2010-11

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
          Mikesch coached with Russellbin 2010-11

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
          I thought Whitten replaced Mikesch, guess my memory was wrong. I forgot about Chris Tok.
          2005-2006: 7-25-6
          2006-2007: 18-17-5
          2007-2008: 14-20-5
          2008-2009: 6-25-7
          2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

Originally posted by bose301s View Post
            I thought Whitten replaced Mikesch, guess my memory was wrong. I forgot about Chris Tok.
            yup, Whitten replaced Tok who replaced Kallay...while Muckalt (after Pearson was hired) replaced Mikesch who replaced Maroste
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
              Based on a study I was working using data for the last 20 years of college hockey. I compared the final three seasons of the predecessor with the first three seasons of the successor. Only six program who had a .500+ record promoted an assistant.
              1. Minnesota State - Troy Jutting
              2. Niagara - Dave Burkholder
              3. Princeton - Len Quesnelle
              4. Alaska-Fairbanks -Tavis MacMillan
              5. North Dakota - Dave Hakstol
              6. Union - Rick Bennett

Only Rick Bennett improved on his predecessor's record, improving +0.101. Len Quesnelle had a net change of -0.239 sinking the program below .500. Tavis MacMillan also dropped UAF below .500 in his first 3 years.
              FYI, from the Soo Lakers and apologies for trolling your thread. Full disclosure, we are huge Joe Shawhan supporters, maybe because he is one of us, (like T. Kero to Houghton). Maybe because we just know he is good. Your thread is more interesting than ours right now.

Some clarification on the study.
              You state “Only” six programs in the last 20 years with a .500 record for the 3 years prior, promoted an asst. to HC when the opening became available.

The way this is presented makes one think that the vast majority seem to choose to hire outside. That seems odd for many reasons.

More than 20 years ago LSSU met your profile and hired twice from within that led to 3 NCAA titles, Frank Anzalone (1) and Jeff Jackson (2). Additionally, as your study shows, Union hired within and immediately won an NCAA title.
              For some reason North Dakota was not included in your study after promoting their AC and winning the NCAA title a year ago?

A couple of us chugged at this for a few minutes and we can only find 3 additional programs that met your standards. Yes they hired outside, DU-Montgomery, BU-Quinn, MSU-Comley but no others jumped out at us and if we’re accurate that means less than 10 schools meet the criteria of the study and six promoted from within. That makes more sense to us. Can you correct us if we’re wrong?

Comment

• Michigan Tech Off-season Revised - Onward and Upward

Originally posted by DM2SM View Post
                FYI, from the Soo Lakers and apologies for trolling your thread. Full disclosure, we are huge Joe Shawhan supporters, maybe because he is one of us, (like T. Kero to Houghton). Maybe because we just know he is good. Your thread is more interesting than ours right now.

Some clarification on the study.
                You state “Only” six programs in the last 20 years with a .500 record for the 3 years prior, promoted an asst. to HC when the opening became available.

The way this is presented makes one think that the vast majority seem to choose to hire outside. That seems odd for many reasons.

More than 20 years ago LSSU met your profile and hired twice from within that led to 3 NCAA titles, Frank Anzalone (1) and Jeff Jackson (2). Additionally, as your study shows, Union hired within and immediately won an NCAA title.
                For some reason North Dakota was not included in your study after promoting their AC and winning the NCAA title a year ago?

A couple of us chugged at this for a few minutes and we can only find 3 additional programs that met your standards. Yes they hired outside, DU-Montgomery, BU-Quinn, MSU-Comley but no others jumped out at us and if we’re accurate that means less than 10 schools meet the criteria of the study and six promoted from within. That makes more sense to us. Can you correct us if we’re wrong?
                22 programs replaced a coach that had +0.500 record over three seasons prior. Only six promoted from within.

North Dakota doesn't have three years of history past a coaching change.

Edit: 12 were alumni of the school they were hired to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Last edited by Flashy Man; 05-09-2017, 04:34 PM.
                Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

22 programs replaced a coach that had +0.500 record over three seasons prior. Only six promoted from within.

North Dakota doesn't have three years of history past a coaching change.

Edit: 12 were alumni of the school they were hired to.

Got it. Combined three year record verses three consecutive years at .500.
                  Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by DM2SM View Post
                    Got it. Combined three year record verses three consecutive years at .500.
                    Thanks
                    I think we're all hoping North Dakota continues to tank.

Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                    What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

I think we're all hoping North Dakota continues to tank.

And Michigan!
                      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

We're hoping Michigan tanks when they are playing Tech. I frankly don't care beyond that. I'm apparently not as obsessed as some folks here.

Comment

THG has confirmed that we missed someone in our 16 profiles. There should be a new profile article up tomorrow morning if we get pictures...
                          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                            THG has confirmed that we missed someone in our 16 profiles. There should be a new profile article up tomorrow morning if we get pictures...
                            My revised list:

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                            My guesses as to who actually applied and is in the "Group of 8" interviewees, from the 16 profiled by THG:

-Muckalt (confirmed interview)
                            -Shawhan (confirmed interview)
                            -Shuchuk (confirmed interview)
                            -Mikesch (confirmed interview)
                            -Rolston
                            -Larson
                            -Knott/Elsworth
                            -Mystery Candidate

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                              Did Red Berenson change his mind and come out of retirement?
                              "Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
                              Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Burnt Orange Husky View Post
                                Did Red Berenson change his mind and come out of retirement?
                                haha...very funny...but no. Our new profile isn't ready yet...still waiting on pictures so for now, we have Sweet Sixteen which we released last night:
                                http://techhockeyguide.com/news/2017...-sweet-sixteen

I will say that if we were going to miss someone this guy makes complete sense. I'll say more after its released.

Comment

Working...
                                X