X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech Off-season Revised - Onward and Upward

Originally posted by Hatch_man View Post
    Kinda felt like the awesome girlfriend that dumped you came back to visit and you weren't sure if you should be mad or cordial and she shows you all the great traits you thought were awesome. Mel was charming as always and interacted with everyone almost as if he was staying here... Can't wait for the new coach to be named so some closure can happen!!!
    Awesome might be too much. Maybe she looked great but career paths different, different locations etc so you knew it would not work out as things went on.

He should be charming, he knows the sentiment, but happy for him as well.

Face it, he left Tech initially thinking Red would coach 5-10 years and he would be next or at least have a shot. Staying there for 23, making it his dream job. Can't hold him back from a dream job and potentially an easier one. He essentially has unlimited funds there, a brand name and 3rd/4th most important sport. You can also say yeah it took a Tech grad to straighten that A2 team out.

If he did anything he woke up a passion of hockey in town. The level of excitement and intensity in that final game at the Mac was incredible.

Maybe he'll steer some of that money to Tech I mean he is an alum so Suzanne should hit him up hard for donations.

Comment

So getting back to the search, I am starting to believe it will be one of these 2 as I think Rolston would have been selected already.
      Shawhan
      Ellsworth
      I think Muckalt will go to Michigan as the next coach there, unless Mel gives Steve Shields the paid gig.
      Any news on timeframe, there is the team and recruits to think about the longer this plays out.

Comment

My first reaction to Mel being there was Really??? But who knows, maybe he was always upfront that he'd leave for the Michigan job if offered. I don't think it'd be too awkward if that was the case.

For the job, can't rule out Rolston if we don't know that all the in person interviews are done. Those may take some time.

Comment

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
          ...maybe he was always upfront that he'd leave for the Michigan job if offered.
          Unless I dreamt it, I recall several times where he publicly said this would be his last job and that he would retire here. Obviously the politically correct thing to say but better off saying nothing than deceive people. If you believe his UM presser then his statements here were untrue. Not that it matters; more wasted energy!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
            So getting back to the search, I am starting to believe it will be one of these 2 as I think Rolston would have been selected already.
            Shawhan
            Ellsworth
            I think Muckalt will go to Michigan as the next coach there, unless Mel gives Steve Shields the paid gig.
            Any news on timeframe, there is the team and recruits to think about the longer this plays out.
            Why do you say this? Info inside or pure speculation?

On another note, based on what Suzanne said I think she always knew he would go back to that place if it came up. I believe she said something along the lines of the rumor that Red was considering retiring she was getting get for him to leave.

Comment

• Originally posted by giwan View Post
              Why do you say this? Info inside or pure
              Just pure speculation

Comment

In person interviews are not done. If we don't hear an announcement in the next week, my guess is Rolston is a no.
                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                  In person interviews are not done. If we don't hear an announcement in the next week, my guess is Rolston is a no.
                  Are you considering the in person interviews as the last step?

Comment

Originally posted by rustedblades View Post
                    Unless I dreamt it, I recall several times where he publicly said this would be his last job and that he would retire here. Obviously the politically correct thing to say but better off saying nothing than deceive people. If you believe his UM presser then his statements here were untrue. Not that it matters; more wasted energy!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
                    I don't remember Mel saying that he would retire from Tech. I do remember him mentioning he hoped the upgrades to the East wall and other upgrades to the arena were taken care of before he left. I remember hearing it on one of his Monday Mel Pearson Shows.
                    Last edited by Wi.Huskies Fan; 05-22-2017, 01:23 PM.
                    MTU Huskies 3 time NCAA Champions... and going for more.
                    2017-18 WCHA playoff Pick'em Champion!

Comment

Originally posted by Hatch_man View Post
                      Kinda felt like the awesome girlfriend that dumped you came back to visit and you weren't sure if you should be mad or cordial and she shows you all the great traits you thought were awesome.
                      I've lived that actual scenario, ironically at a Tech vs Michigan game at Yost. It's tough as nails especially when you don't have a new girlfriend. But trust me, she's having second thoughts too so smile, fake happiness, and make her feel like she's missing something. Epilogue: I ended up marrying a lady much nicer than my old girlfriend.

I really think Cam Ellsworth is just the guy we need. He's young, scrappy, and a relentless worker and hard work covers a multitude of sins. Plus, it sounds like he has a chip on his shoulder and that'll work to our advantage...especially at GLI...
                      Last edited by Burnt Orange Husky; 05-20-2017, 09:07 PM.
                      "Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
                      Abe Lincoln

Comment

I don't understand the negativity towards Mel. If he hadn't been so successful at Tech, do you think Michigan would have wanted him? And how many of the fans would have turned down a raise of over $100,000? Yes, I know in base pay it's only $75k. But when you add additional income, such as his radio show, hockey camps and endorsements, even with whatever additional money Tech would offer, he'll still be $100 grand ahead at UM. Tap your sticks and say "Thank you Mel" for putting Tech back on the map after a quarter century of struggles.
                        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                          I don't understand the negativity towards Mel. If he hadn't been so successful at Tech, do you think Michigan would have wanted him? And how many of the fans would have turned down a raise of over $100,000? Yes, I know in base pay it's only $75k. But when you add additional income, such as his radio show, hockey camps and endorsements, even with whatever additional money Tech would offer, he'll still be $100 grand ahead at UM. Tap your sticks and say "Thank you Mel" for putting Tech back on the map after a quarter century of struggles.
                          I think a lot of it is playful

Comment

The in the crease updates used to end with Mel asking at the end, Are you with us, leaving for that place takes a few weeks to get over, however once the new coach is in, I think the attitude changes back to fond admiration except when he is on the opposition bench.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                              I have no negativity besides wanting to watch Tech beat UM in the GLI championship this year!! When I saw Mel at the SDC on friday, I thanked him for everything he did at MTU and wished him luck at UM except for the GLI. I am on the other hand very disappointed he left. I thought he had been at MTU long enough to want to retire from MTU and I think he left some unfinished business on the table here. I am very much looking forward to the new head coach though and what they can bring to the table. Onward and Upward!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by giwan View Post
                                I think a lot of it is playful
                                Mel who?

Comment

Working...
                                X