X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech Off-season Revised - Onward and Upward

Originally posted by Burnt Orange Husky View Post
    Now that we're in the dog days of summer and the new coaching staff is in place, I think it would be a good to time to reach out to Suzanne and begin a dialog about creating a women's team. It really chaps my arse to see the rich and powerful Big Ten teams in the WCHA. It's time to slap them around...umm can't say that...beat them up...no good either...put them in their place...nix...show them who's boss...rats...anyway you get my point.

I remember asking Pres. Mroz about a women's team and Title IX and he cavalierly said, "We already spend more money on women than we have to." So with his departure, it may be time to bring it to the forefront. Goodness knows the UP high schools produce plenty of potential prospects. And the Theta Chis could provide a few bone crushers.

Suzanne could challenge all of the female alumni to donate towards the cause and make it a reality...
    I think its quite pathetic that not a single school in Michigan does Women's hockey but I highly doubt MTU will be first.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
      I think its quite pathetic that not a single school in Michigan does Women's hockey but I highly doubt MTU will be first.
      Not a single Michigan school offers D1 hockey. D3 is offered at a few places.

Have had this discussion with Suzanne and Forrest and just not in the budget. We talked numbers and could do it on a shoestring with several million but then why? End up being like a Finlandia and its a constant struggle to win.

An FYI there currently are several UP women playing at the D1 and D3 level.
      Last edited by giwan; 07-12-2017, 07:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
        Not a single Michigan school offers D1 hockey. D3 is offered at a few places.

Have had this discussion with Suzanne and Forrest and just not in the budget. We talked numbers and could do it I a shoestring with several million but then why? End up being like a Finlandia and its a constant struggle to win.
        If Clarkson, Mercyhurst and Lindenwood can field teams, Tech can too. And why? It would be very popular and position Tech as a leader, especially since no other school in Michigan offers a women's team. How often does Tech get to upstage the bigger schools?

Female Tech alumni have had high paying jobs for decades so raising more than a few million dollars shouldn't be a problem. Determine the amount of money we need to field a competitive team and challenge the alumni to fund it. I'm confident the women would rally around it.
        Last edited by Burnt Orange Husky; 07-12-2017, 07:26 AM.
        "Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
        Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Burnt Orange Husky View Post
          Now that we're in the dog days of summer and the new coaching staff is in place, I think it would be a good to time to reach out to Suzanne and begin a dialog about creating a women's team. It really chaps my arse to see the rich and powerful Big Ten teams in the WCHA. It's time to slap them around...umm can't say that...beat them up...no good either...put them in their place...nix...show them who's boss...rats...anyway you get my point.

I remember asking Pres. Mroz about a women's team and Title IX and he cavalierly said, "We already spend more money on women than we have to." So with his departure, it may be time to bring it to the forefront. Goodness knows the UP high schools produce plenty of potential prospects. And the Theta Chis could provide a few bone crushers.

Suzanne could challenge all of the female alumni to donate towards the cause and make it a reality...
          Man, I should keep my trap shut but ... here it goes: women's hockey? I don't get it. No check. Slow. A bantam AA team would smoke them. Very expensive. Clearly a force-fed PC deal. Not as severe as WNBA but similar. Why?

Comment

• Originally posted by model94 View Post
            Man, I should keep my trap shut but ... here it goes: women's hockey? I don't get it. No check. Slow. A bantam AA team would smoke them. Very expensive. Clearly a force-fed PC deal. Not as severe as WNBA but similar. Why?
            So how many NCAA Division I women's games have you been to? It's a pretty good brand of hockey.
            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by model94 View Post
              I'm guessing you've never had a daughter.

I haven't either, but I can't understand why someone would basically say, "women shouldn't play hockey". You completely lost me at "force-fed, PC deal".

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

I haven't either, but I can't understand why someone would basically say, "women shouldn't play hockey". You completely lost me at "force-fed, PC deal".
                I wonder if he got on the ice with the Wisconsin women's team where he would fit into the lineup. First line? Second line? Third line? Stick boy? Or "I'm sorry sir, I need to see your ticket to let you into the game."
                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

To be fair, he didn't say women shouldn't play hockey. He said he's not interested in watching it. That is a significant difference.

Myself, I would love to watch a women's Tech team play, but how much interest would it garner relative to attendance on an ongoing basis?

As far as competitiveness, I thoroughly enjoyed watching the women's Olympic Games at the last olympics. Doesn't compare to the nhlers in the men's olympics, but it is what it is. To me, A good competitive game is interesting to watch, whether it's women or men or pee wees.
                  Last edited by Scrum Bucket; 07-13-2017, 01:07 AM.

Comment

I would love to see a Tech women's hockey team, however I don't see any chance MTU wants to start up another sports program that I think we can all agree would be a heavy negative cash flow for the athletics department. Hockey is not a cheap sport and a lot of men's programs barely generate revenue. A women's hockey team at Tech would simply add more strain to an athletics budget that does not have a surplus of money to burn. Nothing against women's hockey, but if campuses like Michigan and State are not fielding women's teams that should be an indication of how close Tech could be to putting a women's hockey team on the ice. If the Keweenaw K-Wings (do they even exist any more?) were drawing 1,000 people per game, I would feel differently about a women's D-I team at Tech.

Ryan J
                    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                    Originally posted by geezer
                    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                    Originally posted by manurespreader
                    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Any ideas on what seats to get for the Vegas games?
                      Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                      USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Incoming class announced: http://www.michigantechhuskies.com/s...20170712hv7pyq

Forwards
                        Justin Misiak
                        Greyson Reitmeier
                        Marcus Russell

So Aleksi Poikola is out.

Defensemen
                        Seamus Donohue
                        Keegan Ford (played at Wisconsin in 2014–15, so two years of eligibility remaining?)
                        Mitch Meek
                        Tyler Rockwell
                        Cooper Watson

So Travis Brown (which we already knew) and Tristan Rostagno are out. Jake Gingell, who is already 20 and has three years of USHL experience, is either deferred to next year or is fed up and heading elsewhere.

Goaltenders
                        Robbie Beydoun

Still need another one.

Comment

I was going to post this morning, saying Tech ought to just go ahead and put out a press release and deal with the third goalie when they figure it out.. They must be mind readers.

As to the forwards I figured Poikola was the odd man out. No surprise there. The surprise to me is seeing Keegan Ford's name there. Was he practicing with the team last year and would he be the fourth returner that Shawhan alluded to? I guess I had pretty much written him off, figuring he'd never turn up in a Tech jersey. I hope all the issues from last year are behind him..

I checked the THG site and see that some names have disappeared from the recruiting grid. Much more manageable now. Less of a log jam at D.

Go Huskies!

Comment

Originally posted by The Troll mtu86 View Post
                            I checked the THG site and see that some names have disappeared from the recruiting grid. Much more manageable now. Less of a log jam at D.
                            Gingell is one of the names removed. Shirtless Guy, do we know the story there?

Comment

Originally posted by The Troll mtu86 View Post
                              I was going to post this morning, saying Tech ought to just go ahead and put out a press release and deal with the third goalie when they figure it out.. They must be mind readers.

As to the forwards I figured Poikola was the odd man out. No surprise there. The surprise to me is seeing Keegan Ford's name there. Was he practicing with the team last year and would he be the fourth returner that Shawhan alluded to? I guess I had pretty much written him off, figuring he'd never turn up in a Tech jersey. I hope all the issues from last year are behind him..

Go Huskies!
                              Oops, I did miss one tidbit I got when I updated the grid after release. Todd Kiilunen will be returning, that would be the 4th guy. We'll have a release shortly on our analysis of the roster release.
                              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Nice to hear the Todd will still be on the team.. good kid, good family.. Who knows maybe he has a chance at getting in a game this year, with nine D on the roster there is going to be some pretty good competition for ice time.

Look forward to reading THG's analysis.
                                Last edited by The Troll mtu86; 07-13-2017, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X