• Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech Off-season Revised - Onward and Upward

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
    No pressure

WCHA regular season title. Check
    WCHA playoff title Check
    NCAA title number 4

This staff likes to win championships, I see Tech teams that compete in the future. I like our odds to filling out the resume. Good luck, we are all behind you, bonus points for each win over the Weasels at the GLI.
    I'm all in on our new staff. I think they are great and will do really well. I disagree with BOH there about facilities. Denver would not have spent 3 million dollars on the locker room if they didn't think it mattered.
    Welcome to the Huskies Mr. Brooks. We're glad you are here.

One other comment. A lot of times when some organization hires a coach they want the established guy. But often the established guys are mired in the past. I think it's better to get some up and comers, some guys that have the desire and the guts to make things happen. I think we have that.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

as much as I would have liked to see Cam come back to Houghton, I knew full well that that was a very unrealistic long-shot.

So as I said before I'm taking a wait and see approach. If they continue to build upon the recent success, then all is well and they were great hires..

Now we just have to wait and see what the roster will look like. And which recruits got sent packing.

I have to miss the interview tomorrow. I hope someone asks some really good insightful questions..

Comment

Wow, can't believe Joe is going into this much detail regarding his discussions with Ellsworth.

Comment

Originally posted by redwing61 View Post
          Wow, can't believe Joe is going into this much detail regarding his discussions with Ellsworth.
          Agreed but good info. sounds like Joe is just going to tell it like it is NO SPIN(?)

Comment

I've been busy this morning. What did coach say?
            Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
            USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by redwing61 View Post
              I thought the same thing, they tried, but and the end of the day, he's right in that the staff has goaltending expertise in Joe, so it is a more well rounded staff without Cam.

Comment

On vacation, so listened in over coffee this morning.

It sounded like there has been a couple recruits asking to review things including possible look at Michigan.

Coach indicated forwards will be strength of team this year.

3 candidates going through NCAA clearances for additional goalie

Very happy with his staff. Steward arrives in the Keweenaw in a week.
                3 Tech grads were interviewed for assistants, sounded like Cam and Joe had lengthy discussions and discussed likely scenarios concerning the assistant job.

Comment

A few of my notes from the Joe Shawhahn hour:
                  On coaches:
                  Looking for good people, could relate to players, our motto is we want to get better everyday
                  Dallas has had success in USHL, had an opportunity with NCHC team, chose MTU
                  Dallas has USHL and MN covered well with recruiting
                  Brooks - wanted a guy that could really coach, hand him the PP or something, great person, great resume, he can coach and recruit
                  Wanted a Tech guy if we could find one, respectfully, he wanted the best guy for now, interviewed 3 Tech grads, all good and capable

Questions:
                  How concerned are you with the goaltending situation?
                  Kero will get opportunity. Down to 3 goalie recruits, more of a walk on situation, need NCAA approval.
                  Roster announcement waiting on that to firm up.
                  Beydoun, got better in juniors. Has some consistency concerns, great games vs. fight the puck.
                  Would be less concerned if all D was back there, would be a big help. Our scoring chances we gave up last year were very low because of our D.

When might we know the time of the UW game, a Sunday game and GLI dates/times?
                  Meeting with Suzanne tomorrow, will talk about this. GLI stuff mostly set, UW time could be set too.

Who does Coach Shawhahn think of the top 6 forwards?
                  Baltus/Steman, Steman 20 pts 5x5 as freshmen, he's elite two-way center. Luchini, Jackson, Smith is a hockey player, great with the puck. Have to like our forwards.
                  L'Esperance impact player. Gould has worked his tail off, special guy, personally, couldn't be more proud of his 3 goals, had a great year. He has a chance to be a special college hockey player.

With any coaching change, difficulties with recruits that were recruited by previous coach?
                  More of an issue, is guys that want to go to UM now. They have advisors now, want to explore things, even with verbal or NLI.
                  Simple philosophy, this is a special place, want special people that want to be here.

What style of play changes might we see?
                  Hopefully none, like our style. Want to tweak forecheck, a little more direct for more offensive zone time.

Luchini, Jackson, Birks, Reinke, Smith going to NHL Dev Camp - Could be others, Auk probably

Scheduling - Has a lot of hockey friends, Clarkson would like home and home. Meeting with Suzanne tomorrow, will discuss our scheduling strategy. Recently has been UM/MSU/Notre Dame, a lot of it is in your network where alumni can see you. Tourney in Phoenix was great alum turnout. Strength of schedule is important.

Comment

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
                    I thought the same thing, they tried, but and the end of the day, he's right in that the staff has goaltending expertise in Joe, so it is a more well rounded staff without Cam.
                    Agreed and yes lateral move. Only benefits for Cam is to show he can recruit elsewhere, meaning its not about Bazin, closer to her family and alumni back home. Doesn't bother me in the least that there is no alum on staff except for Shelast.

Joe really covered a lot and quite a bit of depth in his choices of his ACs.

Comment

Today's show posted:
                      https://soundcloud.com/mix93wkmj

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                        Agreed and yes lateral move. Only benefits for Cam is to show he can recruit elsewhere, meaning its not about Bazin, closer to her family and alumni back home. Doesn't bother me in the least that there is no alum on staff except for Shelast.

Joe really covered a lot and quite a bit of depth in his choices of his ACs.
                        A little surprised about his temper comment, doesn't seem the fiery type. Must have missed that.

Comment

Originally posted by lawdoggies View Post
                          Great stuff, I like this guy a lot. His one style-of-play "tweak" is something that has bugged me for a couple years, why not go in hard on the forecheck and get the other team to make a mistake? A lot of goals are scored that way. Mel was a little too conservative in playing "by the book" without possession, our forwards under Mel always gave the bad guys too much room to skate.
                          Sounds like good times are ahead for the Huskies, great attitude from Coach Joe.
                          Another thing: he sounds very smart. Good vocabulary, quick mind. Confident. All that stuff about not having a degree earlier in his career... clearly it was by choice.
                          Last edited by geezer; 06-27-2017, 02:40 PM.
                          Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                          USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Radio interview with Chris Brooks here: http://www.1230wxco.com/audio/Sports...orts%20Den.mp3

Interview starts around 33:00. Not a ton of insight, but worth a listen. He's staying in Stevens Point for a couple months to help with their transition.

Comment

• Originally posted by lawdoggies View Post
                              I like how coach comes across. He is frank and to the point when he speaks. Looking forward to "The Joe Show".
                              MTU Huskies 3 time NCAA Champions... and going for more.
                              2017-18 WCHA playoff Pick'em Champion!

Comment

I found a house for coach Pearson. perfect location.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...rget_dpa_48104
                                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Working...
                                X