This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bose301s View Post
    Shawhan was a goalie coach at NMU and I think when Mel brought him in that was part of the goal, to get him to work with the goalies. Not saying I don't want Ellsworth because I absolutely do, but Shawhan is a good goalie coach himself.
    Yes, but he has other duties now.....

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech Off-season Revised - Onward and Upward

Meh. I get the need for continuity and Shawhan is definitely qualified, but after Pearson and the other names being bandied about this is pretty underwhelming. Getting Ellsworth on staff would make me feel better though.
      Beat em' Beat em' MTU!!!
      Northern Sucks

Comment

• Originally posted by Burnt Orange Husky View Post
        Here's the link:
        Tech expected to name Shawhan hockey coach; Muckalt returning to U-M hockey as assistant

Interesting to note that he was a goalie...like Coach MacInnes...
        Interesting also that he played 14 years of college hockey...impressive
        Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
        USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

I see Ellsworth as a given, we need recruiting strength.

Just makes sense connecting the dots.

Comment

Originally posted by TECHFAN View Post
            Meh. I get the need for continuity and Shawhan is definitely qualified, but after Pearson and the other names being bandied about this is pretty underwhelming. Getting Ellsworth on staff would make me feel better though.
            This was pretty much exactly how I felt as well, I guess we'll see.
            Originally posted by geezer View Post
            Interesting also that he played 14 years of college hockey...impressive
            I noticed that as well, lol.
            2005-2006: 7-25-6
            2006-2007: 18-17-5
            2007-2008: 14-20-5
            2008-2009: 6-25-7
            2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

I like the pick. He seems passionate about the program from his between period talks with Dirk during games. I think he learned some from Mel also. Seems to me he has good hockey sense and is knowledgeable about the game. Good hire for the Huskies. The players we have now know his personality and he knows their's. It should be a smooth transition. Looking forward to the '17-'18 season.
              MTU Huskies 3 time NCAA Champions... and going for more.
              2017-18 WCHA playoff Pick'em Champion!

Comment

How do you like a first line of Jackson Luchinni and L'Esperance

That seems to be the best in the years since Alex Petan left.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
                  How do you like a first line of Jackson Luchinni and L'Esperance

That seems to be the best in the years since Alex Petan left.
                  So you mean the best in a season?
                  2005-2006: 7-25-6
                  2006-2007: 18-17-5
                  2007-2008: 14-20-5
                  2008-2009: 6-25-7
                  2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

Not my initial pick but he's my guy now. Ellsworth would be a great add. I'm happy this is over!

Comment

Originally posted by bose301s View Post
                      ...but Shawhan is a good goalie coach himself.
                      Hmmm...I seem to recall that Angus got caught behind the net in two big games, the last being against Denver and led to an easy goal. Not judging, just saying...
                      "Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
                      Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Burnt Orange Husky View Post
                        Hmmm...I seem to recall that Angus got caught behind the net in two big games, the last being against Denver and led to an easy goal. Not judging, just saying...
                        Coaches can only do so much, at some point it's on the players...
                        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by bose301s View Post
                          If true I wonder what the chances of Ellsworth getting an assistant position is.
                          Why would Ellsworth make what is at best a lateral move both financially and position wise? And would the top assistant position and salary be available if Shuchuk were to remain on staff? Then you would also have to have an equal financial move for his wife and her job.
                          Last edited by davyd83; 05-29-2017, 08:47 PM.
                          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                            Coaches can only do so much, at some point it's on the players...
                            That 1st period against Denver looked like edgy nerves.
                            Last edited by giwan; 05-29-2017, 10:03 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Burnt Orange Husky View Post
                              I also seem to recall that Angus developed into one of the best goaltenders in the country.
                              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Not likely Ellsworth is going to Houghton. You don't immediately go to work for the guy that beat you for the same job you were vying for, unless that guy's name is Abe Lincoln, or you were previously reporting to that position (see: Shuchuk, Gary).

Besides, I'd like to see Shawhan pick a true outsider, or at least someone who has spent a significant amount of time coaching outside the Great State of Superior (I know that's Ellsworth, but...see above).

EDIT: This is all assuming he keeps Shuchuk and only hires one new assistant, which I don't see why he wouldn't for at least another year, unless he doesn't agree with Shuchuk's recruiting/coaching style.
                                Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 05-29-2017, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X