• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech Off-season Revised - Onward and Upward

Congratulations, Joe is a good one.
    BLEED BLUE

Comment

Congrats to Tech on the hire. I hope the program continues to improve.

I'm curious to see if Shuchuk stays on as assistant. What will the dynamic be for having both wanted the promotion, but only one gets it?

I wondered that myself with Mel returning to UM and how Powers would feel, but Powers has moved on. Not sure if that tells how he felt about the hire or if he was just ready to make a career/life change.
      Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
      wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
      7 B1G
      7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
      6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
      5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
      5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
      2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
      2 Alaskan

Comment

I'm ready for THG's piece on assistant coaches, including how often folks stay in place after HC's change, etc. Gavin Morgan is on his third head coach here, but there are a lot of reasons for that (the biggest one is that his wife has really carved out a great career niche in the aerospace community here), and my sense is that his situation is the exception.

GFM
        Geof F. Morris
        UAH BSE MAE 2002
        UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
          I'm ready for THG's piece on assistant coaches, including how often folks stay in place after HC's change, etc. Gavin Morgan is on his third head coach here, but there are a lot of reasons for that (the biggest one is that his wife has really carved out a great career niche in the aerospace community here), and my sense is that his situation is the exception.

GFM
          Good hire by Tech where it looks like they got the guy they wanted.

I wouldn't want to be THG trying to handicap possible assistants...that sounds like a headache.
          tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Not the Wow factor I would have liked, but then again, as it's been said before, probably wasn't one out there. So, between the presser, what Suzanne and Les had to say, and the testimonials from former players I'm won over, at least a little. Congrats to Joe... Go Huskies!!

Nice to hear that Baltus will be back. Hopefully that will give the offense a boost this coming season.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Troll mtu86 View Post
              Not the Wow factor I would have liked, but then again, as it's been said before, probably wasn't one out there. So, between the presser, what Suzanne and Les had to say, and the testimonials from former players I'm won over, at least a little. Congrats to Joe... Go Huskies!!

Nice to hear that Baltus will be back. Hopefully that will give the offense a boost this coming season.

Didn't see the video live. Watched it later and wow did this seem more emotional than expected? Like adding or seeing family?

Sounds like a great pick and hope the AC work out well.

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                Didn't see the video live. Watched it later and wow did this seem more emotional than expected? Like adding or seeing family?

Sounds like a great pick and hope the AC work out well.
                Agreed. Suzanne tearing up surprised me a little bit.

Comment

On another note. It's official, Jack Becker can be removed from the THG Recruiting Grid. He is now committed to Michigan.

Comment

Its amazing how fast that "gentleman's agreement" stuff can be "forgotten" in the B10 cesspool of backstabbing *******s.
                    Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                    USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                      Its amazing how fast that "gentleman's agreement" stuff can be "forgotten" in the B10 cesspool of backstabbing *******s.
                      Don't go there, no coach and no nli is fair game, that's how MTU got Baltus.
                      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by geezer View Post
                        Media really dropped the ball just then. Nobody could bother to ask him publicly about assistants or recruiting philosophy or playing style or anything else? Come on.
                        I hope you guys are all kidding. Announcement press conferences are all about happy stuff and BJ'ing the new coach. Even if you ask those questions, you will not get an answer of any substance. They will be deflected and you'll get an answer about playing style like "we're going to hustle and go 100%" and assistant coach answers are "we're going to build a great staff".

Just because we waited this long for the first announcement doesn't mean you get everything answered at once.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                          Don't go there, no coach and no nli is fair game, that's how MTU got Baltus.
                          I know it's "legal." So does Mel. But his actions don't match up with his words.
                          Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                          USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

• Originally posted by The Troll mtu86 View Post
                            On another note. It's official, Jack Becker can be removed from the THG Recruiting Grid. He is now committed to Michigan.
                            Well, if he's as overrated as his dad was, no big loss anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by geezer View Post
                              I know it's "legal." So does Mel. But his actions don't match up with his words.

I would expect this was a player decision, you cannot blame Mel if he no longer wanted to play for us. Who cares, let him go. I think it has been positive that as long as the search took, we did not have anyone else bailing or asking out of the NLI.

I am glad it is over, now excited to hear who joins the staff.

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                                youre missing the point, Nel did the exact same thing rob UAA when we took Brent Baltus away while they were in the process of hiring Matt Thomas...NMU lost 3? Recruits during their search.
                                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Working...
                                X