X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech Off-season Revised - Onward and Upward

Originally posted by giwan View Post
    Didn't see the video live. Watched it later and wow did this seem more emotional than expected? Like adding or seeing family?

Sounds like a great pick and hope the AC work out well.
    I thought that too. Not sure I understand the dynamics for that.

Here's the Detroit Free Press article. A few quotes from Joe. The only real note is he already left town to recruit.
    http://www.freep.com/story/sports/co...key/356611001/

And the Mining Gazette with some player quotes from Gould, Neville and Baltus.
    http://www.mininggazette.com/sports/...ing-the-torch/

Comment

• Originally posted by geezer View Post
      Yeah, I'll shut up now. I was just in a bad mood when I saw that.
      No worries. It's understandable. Was just a bit miffed by the B10 comment considering that this type of thing happens at most of the major programs around the country. As another poster mentioned it was probably more the kid's decision and less Mel actively recruiting a verbal commit.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Troll mtu86 View Post
        This.

I thought he was the one who decommitted from Wisco. He seems to have trouble making a decision and sticking with it. I won't lose any sleep over losing him. We'll find others. I was merely pointing out he needs to be removed from the Tech recruiting grid.
        It was reported that Becker had decommitted. My best guess is that after the coaching change at UW he was probably told to look elsewhere. A lot of Eaves' recruits decommitted after the coaching change without giving any details as to why. I guess if there is an excuse for the kid, it's that he committed to two schools who have since made coaching changes. I was a bit surprised though that he will end up at UM.

Comment

Tech made a good decision in the coach they just hired .

Comment

I'm not unhappy with Shawhan, but he was my third pick behind Rolston and Ellsworth. I think Joe has the potential to do great things at Tech and he definitely has the a lot of the right parts. I think his assistant picks will be very telling. I'm curious if anyone knows what happened with Rolston. He seemed like everyone's first choice and the heir apparent. Then, suddenly, news broke before the holiday that Rolston was no longer in consideration. He didn't fly all the way up here for nothing, so there must have been some interest. The program was capable of offering a pretty healthy compensation package, so that didn't seem like it would be an issue. I haven't heard that Rolston accepted a staff position at an NHL program, so I'm very curious about what the impasse was, if anything. I suppose it's also possible that Shawhan just beat Rolston out fair and square with his commitment to the program and his enthusiasm, but that doesn't seem likely given that the media already reported last week that he was no longer in the running. With all the emotionality shown at Shawhan's unveiling, one wonders what transpired behind the scenes. Perhaps we'll never know.

Comment

Originally posted by UpNorthHockey View Post
              I'm not unhappy with Shawhan, but he was my third pick behind Rolston and Ellsworth. I think Joe has the potential to do great things at Tech and he definitely has the a lot of the right parts. I think his assistant picks will be very telling. I'm curious if anyone knows what happened with Rolston. He seemed like everyone's first choice and the heir apparent. Then, suddenly, news broke before the holiday that Rolston was no longer in consideration. He didn't fly all the way up here for nothing, so there must have been some interest. The program was capable of offering a pretty healthy compensation package, so that didn't seem like it would be an issue. I haven't heard that Rolston accepted a staff position at an NHL program, so I'm very curious about what the impasse was, if anything. I suppose it's also possible that Shawhan just beat Rolston out fair and square with his commitment to the program and his enthusiasm, but that doesn't seem likely given that the media already reported last week that he was no longer in the running. With all the emotionality shown at Shawhan's unveiling, one wonders what transpired behind the scenes. Perhaps we'll never know.
              I wholeheartedly agree. It's why I brought up that emotional aspect and I don't think it was just Suzanne. There was a comment as well from Shawhan, about an emotional interview with Les I think or someone.

Maybe there were concerns with Ron bolting to the NHL if given another chance? Not that it should matter in my purview. I can see Shawhan if successful not leaving for anywhere else, maybe ever, no matter who came calling. The UP in a way is what he knows his entire life.

Comment

Just saw this posted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIuILpahZHw&t=11s

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                  I saw that earlier.
                  I think Joe will be great. Sometimes you don't want the superstar high profile guy. Sometimes the hardworking, lunchpail type, is the guy who gets the job done and who behind the scenes, is so valuable. I'm very happy for him. I'm also curious if there is any rumor out there as to who is on the list to be added to the staff.
                  I thought it was really funny about the clothes. Reminds me of me, and my former boss.
                  MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                    Its amazing how fast that "gentleman's agreement" stuff can be "forgotten" in the B10 cesspool of backstabbing *******s.
                    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DBMcL63UQAAO1qb.jpg
                    ---
                    National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
                    Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
                    19 Conference Championships
                    10 Conference Tournament Championships
                    2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
                      Is he washing Harbaugh's jet? "Hey Pearson, you missed a spot!"
                      Last edited by Burnt Orange Husky; 05-31-2017, 08:44 PM.
                      "Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
                      Abe Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by giwan View Post
                        If I was one of his players, I would give it all I had for him and try to improve as a player. His personality seems like you don't have to be afraid to go and talk to him, but he won't be afraid to tell you when your play is not "up to snuff" and he knows you can do better.
                        MTU Huskies 3 time NCAA Champions... and going for more.
                        2017-18 WCHA playoff Pick'em Champion!

Comment

Originally posted by Burnt Orange Husky View Post
                          Is he washing Harbaugh's jet? "Hey Pearson, you missed a spot!"
                          You'll have to forgive MGoBlow. It's difficult being Urban Meyer's b*tch the last 5 years.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                            I think Joe will be great. Sometimes you don't want the superstar high profile guy. Sometimes the hardworking, lunchpail type, is the guy who gets the job done and who behind the scenes, is so valuable.
                            I seem to recall that Coach MacInnes was that kind of guy. Unpretentious, not flashy, not high strung. Tom Laundry with skates.

I thought it was interesting that Suzanne told Coach Joe to buy some new clothes. That speaks to her level of attention to detail and marketing sense. She's great and I'm proud she's our AD. Bravo! Now if we can just get her to start Womens Hockey at Tech...
                            "Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
                            Abe Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by giwan View Post
                              Terrific coach. Even better man.
                              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnt Orange Husky View Post
                                I thought it was interesting that Suzanne told Coach Joe to buy some new clothes. That speaks to her level of attention to detail and marketing sense.

She's great and I'm proud she's our AD. Bravo! Now if we can just get her to start Women's Hockey at Tech...
                                It was clearly a bit of a joke to thaw the seriousness of the situation, but let's be honest - Shawhan was sometimes wearing suits from 1989 that my Dad was proudly wearing up until about 2010. Nice tan, coach!

Comment

Working...
                                X