Page 40 of 42 FirstFirst ... 30313233343536373839404142 LastLast
Results 781 to 800 of 827

Thread: Michigan Tech Off-season Revised - Onward and Upward

  1. #781
    stuck below the bridge
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Howell/Brighton
    Posts
    508

    Re: Michigan Tech Off-season Revised - Onward and Upward

    Quote Originally Posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
    It appears that Gary Shuchuk will not be returning to the coaching staff.

    Inside word says that Ellsworth has interest, but his asking price may be too high to find a compromise. I'd put it at less than a 20% chance that it ends up happening.
    I hope they find a way to make this happen.

  2. #782
    Really??!!
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Great white north
    Posts
    1,683

    Re: Michigan Tech Off-season Revised - Onward and Upward

    Quote Originally Posted by The Troll mtu86 View Post
    Someone tell Dirk to post a day and time... or do we just have to listen everyday and be surprised.
    On radio now and phone interviews this week for other AC

  3. #783
    Coach Emeritus
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Enjoying the arrival of the Broadmoor Trophy in 2017
    Posts
    2,558

    Re: Michigan Tech Off-season Revised - Onward and Upward

    Joe says he wants assistant #2 to concentrate more on coaching than recruiting. Also wants the hire ASAP, preferably by Friday this week so the new guy can get out and see some players.

  4. #784
    Mighty Techster
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    351

    Re: Michigan Tech Off-season Revised - Onward and Upward

    Joe says he's not a fan of committing more players than he has spots for. Have to respect him for that, even if it ends up hurting the talent level of the roster a little bit. Seems to have been one point of disagreement with Mel.

  5. #785
    stuck below the bridge
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Howell/Brighton
    Posts
    508

    Re: Michigan Tech Off-season Revised - Onward and Upward

    Quote Originally Posted by giwan View Post
    On radio now and phone interviews this week for other AC
    Turned on the show to check. Caught it just as they were starting the interview. Nothing earth shattering, but at least gets a little info out to us. I had heard we had lost a possible third goalie early on. Didn't know that we had lost two. I'm wondering who had to be trimmed from the recruit list. That will be interesting to see, when the roster comes out.

    Players excited and working hard.. Bring on October!!!!

  6. #786
    stuck below the bridge
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Howell/Brighton
    Posts
    508

    Re: Michigan Tech Off-season Revised - Onward and Upward

    Quote Originally Posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
    Joe says he wants assistant #2 to concentrate more on coaching than recruiting. Also wants the hire ASAP, preferably by Friday this week so the new guy can get out and see some players.
    Also said he wants someone with a pretty deep coaching pedigree. Does that eliminate Cam? Who I believe has only held that one coaching position??

  7. #787
    Really??!!
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Great white north
    Posts
    1,683

    Re: Michigan Tech Off-season Revised - Onward and Upward

    Quote Originally Posted by redwing61 View Post
    Joe says he's not a fan of committing more players than he has spots for. Have to respect him for that, even if it ends up hurting the talent level of the roster a little bit. Seems to have been one point of disagreement with Mel.
    I'm sure he feels it wrong to end up disappointing some recruit and you can use that point to recruit against as well. Can understand that completely.

    On the other hand you better be sure on the talent you do have and enough backup for things that happen, ie the recruit gets hurt, does not develop, decides to go elsewhere. Worry that the NCAA is going to corral this issue doesn't matter till they do.

    Otherwise Go Joe and let's move forward.

  8. #788
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,717

    Re: Michigan Tech Off-season Revised - Onward and Upward

    Good to get some updates. Joe seems so candid on what's going on with hockey or his family etc.

    My most interesting point was the different recruiting philosophy from Mel, and Mel did "the grab" when you could get someone. I wonder who Joe had to tell they couldn't come. it was abound to happen as we kept getting commits but also got a few redshirts on the team in recent years.

    The goalie explanation was interesting too, an experienced transfer that was eligible right away would've been nice. Now it'll be a walk on type freshmen.

    Sounds like he hopes to get the roster out soon too.

  9. #789
    2009 NCAA Champions Sean Pickett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Posts
    2,118

    Re: Michigan Tech Off-season Revised - Onward and Upward

    Quote Originally Posted by mtu_huskies View Post
    The goalie explanation was interesting too, an experienced transfer that was eligible right away would've been nice.
    I believe that transfer was Connor LaCouvee, who graduated from BU this spring. At the BU hockey banquet I asked him about his future plans and he mentioned to me Michigan Tech was a school he was looking at. I have no knowledge beyond that, but last week it was reported he will be at Minnesota State for the upcoming season.

    Sean
    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

    Watch BU Hockey highlights
    NCAA Hockey Financials

  10. #790
    stuck below the bridge
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Howell/Brighton
    Posts
    508

    Re: Michigan Tech Off-season Revised - Onward and Upward

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Pickett View Post
    I believe that transfer was Connor LaCouvee, who graduated from BU this spring. At the BU hockey banquet I asked him about his future plans and he mentioned to me Michigan Tech was a school he was looking at. I have no knowledge beyond that, but last week it was reported he will be at Minnesota State for the upcoming season.

    Sean
    He'd be the one I heard about.

  11. #791
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    U.P.
    Posts
    40

    Re: Michigan Tech Off-season Revised - Onward and Upward

    Todd Milewski has Pat Mikesch and Chris Tok on the list of possible candidates for the Wisconsin A.C. job in this article.

    http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/c...906339fb1.html

    Who is on Shawhan's short list for interviews this week?

    Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

  12. #792
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Lower Michigan
    Posts
    830

    Re: Michigan Tech Off-season Revised - Onward and Upward

    Any stream of the show this morning?

    Why not the first Joe Shawhan show?
    Last edited by Huskiefan906; 06-19-2017 at 10:42 PM.

  13. #793
    Coach Emeritus
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Enjoying the arrival of the Broadmoor Trophy in 2017
    Posts
    2,558

    Re: Michigan Tech Off-season Revised - Onward and Upward

    Quote Originally Posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
    Any stream of the show this morning?

    Why not the first Joe Shawhan show?
    http://themix93.com/sports/podcasts/

  14. #794
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Lower Michigan
    Posts
    830

    Re: Michigan Tech Off-season Revised - Onward and Upward

    Thank you...

  15. #795
    Still upright
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southeast Michigan for now
    Posts
    5,935

    Re: Michigan Tech Off-season Revised - Onward and Upward

    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

    It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

  16. #796
    DYKWIA? FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    America's Great Comeback City™, LOL
    Posts
    24,379

    Re: Michigan Tech Off-season Revised - Onward and Upward

    Ice Vegas pairings are set. Tech will face BC in the opener.

  17. #797
    Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    15,974

    Re: Michigan Tech Off-season Revised - Onward and Upward

    Expect MTU to announce the 2017-18 roster and the final assistant coaching spot soon. THG will have some coverage between now and Independence Day on both those items as well as the state of recruiting for MTU.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

    Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

  18. #798
    Still upright
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southeast Michigan for now
    Posts
    5,935

    Re: Michigan Tech Off-season Revised - Onward and Upward

    Quote Originally Posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    Expect MTU to announce the 2017-18 roster and the final assistant coaching spot soon. THG will have some coverage between now and Independence Day on both those items as well as the state of recruiting for MTU.
    This is my number 1 worry by far. I wonder since mel has left if things will actually get better on the recruiting front. Given mel being so old and all.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

    It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

  19. #799
    Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    15,974

    Re: Michigan Tech Off-season Revised - Onward and Upward

    Quote Originally Posted by manurespreader View Post
    This is my number 1 worry by far. I wonder since mel has left if things will actually get better on the recruiting front. Given mel being so old and all.
    What exactly is your worry? That Mel over recruited and Shawhan is kinda left with a difficult task where he currently can't offer to a defenseman that could come in before his contract is even done?

  20. #800
    Still upright
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southeast Michigan for now
    Posts
    5,935

    Re: Michigan Tech Off-season Revised - Onward and Upward

    Quote Originally Posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    What exactly is your worry? That Mel over recruited and Shawhan is kinda left with a difficult task where he currently can't offer to a defenseman that could come in before his contract is even done?
    No my worry is that down the line the quality of recruits will change. I hope it increases and I asked questions of the mel show, which he never answered about the quality of recruits.
    I'd really like to see us start to get recruits that are highly sought after.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

    It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 10 users browsing this thread. (2 members and 8 guests)

  1. redwing61

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •