Page 14 of 40 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Michigan Tech Off-season Revised - Onward and Upward

stuck below the bridge

Re: Michigan Tech Off-season Revised - Onward and Upward

Rolston and Muckalt, 1A and 1B. I like Rolston for the success he's had at the junior and college level(as an Assistant). I really like Muckalt if Tech could get Ellsworth to come in as an Assistant or Associate Head Coach and be ready to take over when Muckalt bolts for the pros in a couple of years. After that I'll play wait and see how it all plays out.

stuck below the bridge

Quote Originally Posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
    Are the non-conference foes understood for next year,
    Tweet says 36 games with 34 plus GLI on the schedule.

Ice breaker
    Union
    UMD or Minny

GLI
    Michigan State
    BG or Mich

Ice Vegas
    BC or ASU
    NMU or BC or ASU

Home
    ASU
    ASU

There was talk of Wisconsin for the hall of fame to start the season, will there be another non conf matchup?
    Wisconsin had a press release on the Hall of Fame Game. Sounded like a done deal. Tech is saying still finalizing things..

Quote Originally Posted by giwan View Post
    Anyone their top 5? Not in any order. Bill, Cam, Ron, Dane, Keith

This talk of in or out of the Tech family should not be considered in my opinion, and whether they will be poached to a "bigger" program is a worthwhile risk as they need to succeed to do so. Had 1-2 more that could have been included in the top 5 but had to cut it somewhere.

Anything new, heard or seen on campus? Search committee? Flights in and out? Freighters?
    I've heard that "stepping stone" concern expressed around the Northern hire. I can only hope that 4-5-6 years from now it is a major topic of discussion.

I love (goal) lamp

Quote Originally Posted by The Troll mtu86 View Post
    Rolston and Muckalt, 1A and 1B. I like Rolston for the success he's had at the junior and college level(as an Assistant). I really like Muckalt if Tech could get Ellsworth to come in as an Assistant or Associate Head Coach and be ready to take over when Muckalt bolts for the pros in a couple of years. After that I'll play wait and see how it all plays out.
    Muckalt with Ellsworth may be my dream team right now.
    2005-2006: 7-25-6
    2006-2007: 18-17-5
    2007-2008: 14-20-5
    2008-2009: 6-25-7
    2009-2010: 5-30-1

Quote Originally Posted by bose301s View Post
    Muckalt with Ellsworth may be my dream team right now.
    Is there anything to suggest Muckalt an Ellsworth would work together?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Question Re: Michigan Tech Off-season Revised - Onward and Upward

Question: What successful college hockey programs have promoted an existing assistant coach to head coach and continued their success?
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Orange Husky View Post
    Question: What successful college hockey programs have promoted an existing assistant coach to head coach and continued their success?
    Based on a study I was working using data for the last 20 years of college hockey. I compared the final three seasons of the predecessor with the first three seasons of the successor. Only six program who had a .500+ record promoted an assistant.
    1. Minnesota State - Troy Jutting
    2. Niagara - Dave Burkholder
    3. Princeton - Len Quesnelle
    4. Alaska-Fairbanks -Tavis MacMillan
    5. North Dakota - Dave Hakstol
    6. Union - Rick Bennett

Only Rick Bennett improved on his predecessor's record, improving +0.101. Len Quesnelle had a net change of -0.239 sinking the program below .500. Tavis MacMillan also dropped UAF below .500 in his first 3 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by SCSU Euro View Post
    What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

I love (goal) lamp

Quote Originally Posted by MTUHuskies View Post
    Is there anything to suggest Muckalt an Ellsworth would work together?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Not anything I know of, honestly it's 100% wishful thinking that has no basis, lol.

Question Re: Michigan Tech Off-season Revised - Onward and Upward

Quote Originally Posted by Flashy Man View Post
    Based on a study I was working using data for the last 20 years of college hockey. I compared the final three seasons of the predecessor with the first three seasons of the successor. Only six program who had a .500+ record promoted an assistant.
    Many thanks for your analysis! Since you have the data, how many successful programs hired a former assistant and continued their success?
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Michigan Tech Fan

Regardless of whether or not you take a current/past assistant from your own team or someone from outside the program, you should expect a flatline for a couple seasons, if not a dip in terms of team success. Unless the next coach bought into the last coach's vision 100%, most will want to tweak how the team will play and will want players that fit that system. That means the team struggles to learn a new system, some players depart who don't believe in that system and it takes a few years to fill the pipeline with new talent who buy into that coach's system. That's the biggest danger of being breeding ground for future great coaches and turning them over every 4-5 years. (Well unless you're one of those teams that has a half-dozen first round draft picks on your roster every season, then is likely matters less, but talent isn't the ultimate factor in success - see BU.) I think Tech's best case scenario for the next head coach is to take the best combination of current ability and their desire to stay long term. If they have 80% of Pearson's ability but they would be content to lead Tech for the next 20 years, then I think you go with that person and hope they learn something along the way and improve themselves as well. If Tech manages to be a tourney team one or both of the next two seasons under a 1st year head coach, I think that would be above expectations.
    Ryan
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    http://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.

Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar

Well, I think we're stopping profiles at 16 everyone...hope you checked them out because I'm pretty sure the next head coach will be one of them...
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

MTU NMU LSSU

Quote Originally Posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    Well, I think we're stopping profiles at 16 everyone...hope you checked them out because I'm pretty sure the next head coach will be one of them...
    Thanks for all the work to put those profiles up. It shows the remarkable level of enthusiasm that exists for Tech hockey. I can't think of any other programs that had anything like the THG analysis. I'll be stunned if it's someone we missed. I hope we get Rolston, but I'd be pleased with Schuchuk, Shawhan or Muckalt.

I was surprised that your Oz profile didn't mention that he was fired in Columbus after only 3 seasons, and didn't seem to be very well-liked by tOSU administrators or fans. I don't think the full story has ever come out on exactly what happened though.
    Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 05-08-2017 at 11:35 AM.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

Really??!!

Great work, read each one at least once, now the real question(s) Any word? Any clue? Suzanne in town? Glenn? As big a hire as Mel was, in many ways this one is bigger for the program.

Quote Originally Posted by giwan View Post
    Great work, read each one at least once, now the real question(s) Any word? Any clue? Suzanne in town? Glenn? As big a hire as Mel was, in many ways this one is bigger for the program.
    I have plenty that I believe to be true but most of it cannot be published yet. Stay tuned.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Here is the full list of profiles, I'm 99% sure the next head coach will be one of these guys:
    Bill Muckalt, The Protégé, Tri-City (USHL) HC
    Ron Rolston, The Thoroughbred, Springfield (AHL) HC
    Cam Ellsworth, The Young Gun, UMass Lowell (HEA) AC
    Joe Shawhan, The Yooper, Michigan Tech AC
    Seth Appert, The Veteran, RPI (ECAC) HC
    Davis Payne, The Professional, Los Angeles (NHL) AC
    Damon Whitten, The Spartan, LSSU (WCHA) HC
    Dane Jackson, The Champion, UND (NCHC) AC
    Keith Fisher, The Disciple, PSU (B1G) AC
    Chris Bergeron, The Rival, BGSU (WCHA) HC
    Gary Shuchuk, The Citizen, Michigan Tech AC
    Pat Mikesch, The Phoenix, Green Bay (USHL) HC
    Ben Barr, The Engineer, UMass (HEA) AC
    Brett Larson, The Bulldog, UMD (NCHC) AC
    Mark Osiecki, The Badger, Wisconsin (B1G) AC
    Todd Knott, The Maverick, Minnesota State (WCHA) AC
    Last edited by Shirtless Guy; 05-08-2017 at 12:41 PM.

I would say, of the 16 profiled (and pretending they've all applied), I would be happiest with one of Rolston, Muckalt, or Shawhan. For a choice that's more out of left field, I think Payne or Jackson could certainly be good fits, but the job will be a harder sell. We all know Bergeron and Oz likely aren't interested. After that, with all due respect, the rest of the list feels like a speculative list of applicants from 2003, sans the D3 coaches.

But what do I know?
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

I love (goal) lamp

Woohoo, I'm the first voter!!

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    I would say, of the 16 profiled (and pretending they've all applied), I would be happiest with one of Rolston, Muckalt, or Shawhan. For a choice that's more out of left field, I think Payne or Jackson could certainly be good fits, but the job will be a harder sell. We all know Bergeron and Oz likely aren't interested. After that, with all due respect, the rest of the list feels like a speculative list of applicants from 2003, sans the D3 coaches.

But what do I know?
    I'm sure a few on the list didn't apply (most likely Bergeron, Payne, Osiecki, Jackson, and Appert).
    Some of these guys just don't seem to fit that well upon examination (Barr, Knott, and Whitten).
    The rest...who knows.

Thread Information