• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech Off-season Revised - Onward and Upward

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
    https://youtu.be/26mYX7mEepk

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Well no doubt players choose a school based on a lot more than just hockey. Even if the coaching is top notch, the facilities great, scouts close, the education excellent, etc. they still choose asu for some stupid reason, or CC, or whoever..... But my point is we have to have at least a few of these more talented guys. I think sure, all those things that have been brought up are true, but that's a copout if you ask me. I'm fine with under the radar guys, I like them, I think a lot develop to be very good, but once in a while we also need an on the radar guy.
    So my concern is, we have made great strides, we're moving forward, we have brought the fans back in to the arena and downstate we fill other people's buildings, but we have to take the next step somehow. I'm sure its a gradual process. it takes further facility upgrades like the east end being re done, and it takes a lot of commitment from everyone, and money too. So let's keep the momentum going. Tech has a long history.... longer than most everyone else. Let's keep it going.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
      Well no doubt players choose a school based on a lot more than just hockey. Even if the coaching is top notch, the facilities great, scouts close, the education excellent, etc. they still choose asu for some stupid reason, or CC, or whoever..... But my point is we have to have at least a few of these more talented guys. I think sure, all those things that have been brought up are true, but that's a copout if you ask me. I'm fine with under the radar guys, I like them, I think a lot develop to be very good, but once in a while we also need an on the radar guy.
      So my concern is, we have made great strides, we're moving forward, we have brought the fans back in to the arena and downstate we fill other people's buildings, but we have to take the next step somehow. I'm sure its a gradual process. it takes further facility upgrades like the east end being re done, and it takes a lot of commitment from everyone, and money too. So let's keep the momentum going. Tech has a long history.... longer than most everyone else. Let's keep it going.
      Unless we are filling those proposed extra seats that does not matter. Now if you fill them because you can drop the price a bit but still gain more $$$ great. I think facilities are not that high on the list for a recruit.

It is a process for sure, if any of you remember a mel interview where he said some recruits would not even answer the phone or listen to him when things got started. Meaning that just his name mel brought nothing to the table.

We give mel a lot of credit for recruiting and maybe he deserves most but wasn't Joe the MAIN recruiter? Anyone have insight here?

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
        Unless we are filling those proposed extra seats that does not matter. Now if you fill them because you can drop the price a bit but still gain more $$$ great. I think facilities are not that high on the list for a recruit.

It is a process for sure, if any of you remember a mel interview where he said some recruits would not even answer the phone or listen to him when things got started. Meaning that just his name mel brought nothing to the table.

We give mel a lot of credit for recruiting and maybe he deserves most but wasn't Joe the MAIN recruiter? Anyone have insight here?
        Even if Joe was the MAIN recruiter, will he still be with the added duties of HC?

I would think having NHL connections and moving players to the next level (preferably after a full 4 years) is what a lot of recruits notice.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
          Even if Joe was the MAIN recruiter, will he still be with the added duties of HC? I would think having NHL connections and moving players to the next level (preferably after a full 4 years) is what a lot of recruits notice. Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
          You would think Joe would not have that extra time as HC but that also means mel didn't.

I agree recruits want to see a HC that can develop a team and players to get a shot at the next level. Though in reality most will not.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
            Add about 30,000 staudents, move the campus at least four hours closer to a big city, schedule Minnesota instead of Bemidji every year and award full cost of living stipends. There's a good start to getting those top 20 recruits lining up. Oh and join the Big Ten, Hockey East or the NCHC. Unfortunately most of the D-II schools face similar problems in that regard.
            Lake Superior State won two national championships not long ago so you can argue that coaching up players is more important than recruiting. Especially when top rated recruits are one and done like Angus Redmond. Certainly being a hockey player at a football school is not all that. I remember reading an article in the Ann Arbor News back when UofM won their last national championship. The prof was handing back tests and when he got to one of the hockey players, he said, "Congratulations." Most of the other students in the class had no idea what was up. And if facilities where most important, North Dakota would win the NC every year...
            "Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
            Abe Lincoln

Comment

A full hour with Joe Shawhan is coming up on Tuesday 27 June at 9am on Mix93.

Comment

Chris Brooks names second assistant.

http://michigantechhuskies.com/sport...20170626mev0dd

I'll admit I have never heard of him but his resume is very solid just like Steward's. While I wish Cam had made it to our bench I think that Coach Shawhan has made some extremely solid choices for assistants.
                2005-2006: 7-25-6
                2006-2007: 18-17-5
                2007-2008: 14-20-5
                2008-2009: 6-25-7
                2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

I think we can all be disappointed that the staff isn't what we might have hoped for back when Mel left, but at the same time be really impressed with the combination of Joe Shawhan, Chris Brooks, and Dallas Steward. You've got a wealth of experience and multiple titles between them on their resumes from Shawhan's success under Pearson to Brooks' D3 title along with making the D3 tournament 4 straight years and Steward's two Clark Cups (USHL Titles) in the last 3 seasons. There is a ton to like about this staff not to mention their varying backgrounds. I look forward to seeing what this team can do on their leadership.

THG's article on Brooks: http://techhockeyguide.com/news/2017...shawhans-staff
                  Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                    I think we can all be disappointed that the staff isn't what we might have hoped for back when Mel left, but at the same time be really impressed with the combination of Joe Shawhan, Chris Brooks, and Dallas Steward. You've got a wealth of experience and multiple titles between them on their resumes from Shawhan's success under Pearson to Brooks' D3 title along with making the D3 tournament 4 straight years and Steward's two Clark Cups (USHL Titles) in the last 3 seasons. There is a ton to like about this staff not to mention their varying backgrounds. I look forward to seeing what this team can do on their leadership.

THG's article on Brooks: http://techhockeyguide.com/news/2017...shawhans-staff
                    Nothing to be disappointed with here. Those are two excellent choices. Both are pretty good guys as well who will be good fits in Houghton. I don't think you can really differentiate a #2 & #1. They both have very complimentary strengths and I think Brooks experience recruiting at the D-1 level is a big plus.
                    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                      Nothing to be disappointed with here. Those are two excellent choices. Both are pretty good guys as well who will be good fits in Houghton. I don't think you can really differentiate a #2 & #1. They both have very complimentary strengths and I think Brooks experience recruiting at the D-1 level is a big plus.
                      The only thing I am "disappointed" with is that there wasn't any way to get Ellsworth on the staff, but I am not disappointed in who is on the staff at all.
                      2005-2006: 7-25-6
                      2006-2007: 18-17-5
                      2007-2008: 14-20-5
                      2008-2009: 6-25-7
                      2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

Originally posted by bose301s View Post
                        The only thing I am "disappointed" with is that there wasn't any way to get Ellsworth on the staff, but I am not disappointed in who is on the staff at all.
                        I just meant that when this all started, I don't think any of us would have guessed those three would the staff but we should all be excited to see what they can do.
                        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                          I think we can all be disappointed that the staff isn't what we might have hoped for back when Mel left, but at the same time be really impressed with the combination of Joe Shawhan, Chris Brooks, and Dallas Steward. You've got a wealth of experience and multiple titles between them on their resumes from Shawhan's success under Pearson to Brooks' D3 title along with making the D3 tournament 4 straight years and Steward's two Clark Cups (USHL Titles) in the last 3 seasons. There is a ton to like about this staff not to mention their varying backgrounds. I look forward to seeing what this team can do on their leadership. THG's article on Brooks: http://techhockeyguide.com/news/2017...shawhans-staff
                          Look at mels assistants choices how much did we know? You can argue all you want, even go back and wish it was Rolston instead of Joe but I think the team is solid and hungry. In fact might argue a better recruiting group than the last set of coaches. It's a step up for each coach and they have something to prove.

Cam might have been a $$$ issue or maybe not. You could argue Cam would jump at the next HC positions available as being an AC was a lateral move.

As much as Suzanne wanted some stability which Joe can offer this is really a fresh group, that's shown serious success as HC's at a lower level. I can see some shaking up that can happen to tweek the players and systems employed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                            I just meant that when this all started, I don't think any of us would have guessed those three would the staff but we should all be excited to see what they can do.
                            I'm excited ... it's a new day with lots to look forward to!

Comment

I think it's the best staff we could hope for given the circumstances, TBH.

Comment

No pressure

WCHA regular season title. Check
                                WCHA playoff title Check
                                NCAA title number 4

This staff likes to win championships, I see Tech teams that compete in the future. I like our odds to filling out the resume. Good luck, we are all behind you, bonus points for each win over the Weasels at the GLI.

Comment

Working...
                                X