• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech Off-season Revised - Onward and Upward

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    7 exempt games, 4 at Alaska schools, icebreaker and HOF game
    holy ****. That's insane.

I see that this is a trend for Tech, scheduling tons of games (like most in teh country last year) each year. Wonder why Mel did that?
    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

• Originally posted by Biddco View Post

I see that this is a trend for Tech, scheduling tons of games (like most in teh country last year) each year. Wonder why Mel did that?
      Exposure. Doing anything and everything to get MTU's name out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post

Mel wanted to catch John MacInnes' win total. He knew he could because he was planning to stay at Tech for the long haul.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Maybe y'all can play at UAH over a break and play a neutral-site game on Tue/Wed in Huntsville and get in four games in six games.

GFM
          Geof F. Morris
          UAH BSE MAE 2002
          UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
            Check his contract. It may include a bonus if he wins X number of games or percentage of games. FWIW, Bemidji played only 2 non-conference games while Tech played 8.

Speaking of contracts, does anyone have any info on Mel's UofM compensation package?
            Last edited by Burnt Orange Husky; 05-04-2017, 09:10 AM.
            "Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
            Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Burnt Orange Husky View Post
              Check his contract. It may include a bonus if he wins X number of games or percentage of games. FWIW, Bemidji played only 2 non-conference games while Tech played 8.

Speaking of contracts, does anyone have any info on Mel's UofM compensation package?
              Mel's contract did not have any explicitly documented bonuses.
              We're working on the Michigan contract.
              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Burnt Orange Husky View Post

Just curious, what year did Bemidji only play two non-conference games? They have always been at the 6 or 8 non-conference game threshold. There were two years they did the "double Alaska", but Tom Serratore feels that the bye week is better for his team than the two extra games.
                Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

• Originally posted by Burnt Orange Husky View Post

Bemidji played 2 games at North Dakota, 2 home against Princeton, Home & Away vs UMD and also played St. Cloud & Minnesota in the North Star Cup in St. Paul in non-conference play in the 2016-17 season. Bemidji also played 8 non-conference games in each of the 3 prior seasons since the formation of the "new" WCHA.
                  Last edited by davyd83; 05-04-2017, 11:27 AM.
                  "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

I think the number of non-conference games being scheduled recently, especially tourneys where you can face two different teams in two days, simply underscored Mel's understanding of how the NCAA tourney bids really worked. Being on the committee I am sure he was quite familiar of how to give yourself an edge to make the field. Getting a variety of opportunities for quality win bonuses against NC teams is key, something we've all seen the last two season the WCHA as a whole was sorely lacking. Just look at the NCHC - they are getting teams in the tourney that are barely over 0.500 because they get a few key wins over teams that also have a lot of wins. Meanwhile the WCHA teams with 0.600+ win percentage are sitting out. When you really look at the formula, the NCAA tourney for hockey has very little to do with number of wins, but rather WHO did you beat.

One of the Red's post-retirement interviews discussed why Michigan never played Tech for so many years, other than at the GLI. Red mentioned that Mel was in charge of scheduling all those years. So that tells me, Mel saw no value in Michigan playing Tech when they were a dumpster fire because there was no upside for Michigan, even if they beat Tech.

As for the 7 exempt games in 2017-18, I think Tech would be foolish to increase the number of games played over what they've already done the last couple seasons. At some point, the guys need a week off to refocus and just get away from the rink, especially once in the last month of the regular season like we had last year. Ideally I think that slot is the weekend after the emotional high of Winter Carnival. That following weekend always seems to be an opportunity to be a let down and not be ready to go the following week.

Ryan J
                    Last edited by JohnsonsJerseys; 05-04-2017, 11:40 AM.
                    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                    Originally posted by geezer
                    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                    Originally posted by manurespreader
                    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                      One of the Red's post-retirement interviews discussed why Michigan never played Tech for so many years, other than at the GLI. Red mentioned that Mel was in charge of scheduling all those years. So that tells me, Mel saw no value in Michigan playing Tech when they were a dumpster fire because there was no upside for Michigan, even if they beat Tech.
                      Understandable.

There aren't a lot of practices among college hockey coaches that Mel has criticized. He certainly doesn't like the poaching of verbally committed recruits, so I wouldn't expect any of ours to bolt for Michigan unless they decommitted before approaching Mel. On the other hand, I've never heard him complain about the 2-for-1 deals we had to make with bigger schools. So I don't expect 1-for-1s with Michigan now that one of "our" guys is their coach.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                        I think the number of non-conference games being scheduled recently, especially tourneys where you can face two different teams in two days, simply underscored Mel's understanding of how the NCAA tourney bids really worked. Being on the committee I am sure he was quite familiar of how to give yourself an edge to make the field. Getting a variety of opportunities for quality win bonuses against NC teams is key, something we've all seen the last two season the WCHA as a whole was sorely lacking. Just look at the NCHC - they are getting teams in the tourney that are barely over 0.500 because they get a few key wins over teams that also have a lot of wins. Meanwhile the WCHA teams with 0.600+ win percentage are sitting out. When you really look at the formula, the NCAA tourney for hockey has very little to do with number of wins, but rather WHO did you beat.
                        Honestly, that's the best indicator of quality. The issue is that we don't have a ton of interactions.

GFM
                        Geof F. Morris
                        UAH BSE MAE 2002
                        UAHHockey.com

Comment

Interesting that the Hall of Fame game at Madison is not yet included here. Oversight?

http://michigantechhuskies.com/sport...17-18/schedule

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                            Interesting that the Hall of Fame game at Madison is not yet included here. Oversight?

http://michigantechhuskies.com/sport...17-18/schedule
                            Where is the GLI?

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
                              Where is the GLI?

Dates won't be announced until June, have to wait for the NHL and NBA schedules to be accounted for first.

Comment

Originally posted by redwing61 View Post
                                Understandable.

There aren't a lot of practices among college hockey coaches that Mel has criticized. He certainly doesn't like the poaching of verbally committed recruits, so I wouldn't expect any of ours to bolt for Michigan unless they decommitted before approaching Mel. On the other hand, I've never heard him complain about the 2-for-1 deals we had to make with bigger schools. So I don't expect 1-for-1s with Michigan now that one of "our" guys is their coach.
                                Personally I'd be happy with the GLi as our only big ten games vs Michigan..... and i'm against scheduling 2 for 1's with anyone.

The GLi is at little Ceaser's arena.
                                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Working...
                                X