X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech Off-season Revised - Onward and Upward

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    You think he has no interest in coaching, he'd be a bad choice as coach, or that we're not objective about the subject (or some combination of all three)?

Seriously, we were trying to help the guy promote his book and get some page views...until the coaching search, our review of his book was the most popular thing we had ever published.
    Speaking of recruiting. maybe you all should run an article on the type of recruit best suited for college hockey. Look at the number of one and done's around, Keifer bellows being the latest. maybe you could interview our new coach about his recruiting philosophy and what he would like to see in a player, how he goes about it and what he sees as why so many school seem to like these one and done guys.
    I mean some have been mostly failures.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

I would guess there are two main answers why coaches go after potential "one and done" players. 1) Are really going to tell a true blue chip recruit they don't want him on the team because he might leave after a year? 2) Coaches believe deep down they can talk the player into another year to further their development, allow them to "experience college life", etc.

In the end, is it worth it? I guess it depends on how good the kid really is and how much you like rebuilding 40-50% of your roster EVERY season.

Ryan
      Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
      https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
      Originally posted by geezer
      Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
      Originally posted by manurespreader
      ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
        I would guess there are two main answers why coaches go after potential "one and done" players. 1) Are really going to tell a true blue chip recruit they don't want him on the team because he might leave after a year? 2) Coaches believe deep down they can talk the player into another year to further their development, allow them to "experience college life", etc.

In the end, is it worth it? I guess it depends on how good the kid really is and how much you like rebuilding 40-50% of your roster EVERY season.

Ryan
        Not to mention the name drop of your school if they pan out...Jujhar Khaira is probably getting Michigan Tech mentioned regularly for Edmonton broadcasts...that has value.
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
          Exhibit A, Ted Donato:
          http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=32184

Straight from NHL/AHL player to NCAA head coach.
          Ted had winning years his first two years with a team that was primarily recruited by Mazzoleni. Once Donato got his first full class in, he went on to losing records in 6 of the next 8 seasons.
          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
            Ted had winning years his first two years with a team that was primarily recruited by Mazzoleni. Once Donato got his first full class in, he went on to losing records in 6 of the next 8 seasons.
            But he has kept his job for 13 years. The only one to do that in Houghton is John J. MacInnes.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Interesting story about Steward from a few years ago - he sounds like a very religious man, even has a year of seminary school - anyone remember if Shawhan has put out tweets about his own faith? Or am I thinking of someone else?
              http://www.sfstampede.com/news_artic...id=627591-news
              I followed the links and got to a page (not related to either man directly) that said "Igniting the Hockey World for Jesus Christ" which... I don't like to mix up my religion in sports, but I'm not going to condemn someone else either. It's just interesting.
              Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
              USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                Interesting story about Steward from a few years ago - he sounds like a very religious man, even has a year of seminary school - anyone remember if Shawhan has put out tweets about his own faith? Or am I thinking of someone else?
                http://www.sfstampede.com/news_artic...id=627591-news
                I followed the links and got to a page (not related to either man directly) that said "Igniting the Hockey World for Jesus Christ" which... I don't like to mix up my religion in sports, but I'm not going to condemn someone else either. It's just interesting.
                shawhan is religious, that might be the connection that got Steward to come to Houghton.
                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Joe gets a new suit... an allowance for a car... JC is on his side... I can see where this is headed and it's all good.

Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                    shawhan is religious, that might be the connection that got Steward to come to Houghton.
                    Perhaps a secondary connection. I just listened to a 2010 interview with Steward in which he mentions Tony Dungy's coaching philosophy. Shawhan has mentioned it, too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                      Not to mention the name drop of your school if they pan out...Jujhar Khaira is probably getting Michigan Tech mentioned regularly for Edmonton broadcasts...that has value.
                      You're.... being sarcastic about Khaira's value to the MTU branding, right?
                      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                        compared to Pietila and Kero...sure but its not like there is a long list of players that have made it to the NHL?

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                          I saw JJ on three nationally broadcast Oilers game this season and Tech was mentioned in all three. Any positive or neutral promotion for Tech Hockey is a good one in my opinion.

Currently, the number of former Tech players who have a legit shot to appear in the NHL is fairly short compared to some other big college programs. However the list of Tech alumni in/near the NHL is MUCH longer now than it has been for many years. Starting from most likely to appear... Kero, Khaira, Copley, Pietila, Conner, Phillips... For many years, Tech didn't have more than one or two guys playing pro hockey with a legit shot to make an NHL regular season roster.
                          Ryan

Edit: I left Roy and Watson off the list as they are unknowns at this point regarding where they will settle in next season. They both have the potential to be solid AHL / call-up type guys.
                          Last edited by JohnsonsJerseys; 06-08-2017, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by redwing61 View Post
                            Perhaps a secondary connection. I just listened to a 2010 interview with Steward in which he mentions Tony Dungy's coaching philosophy. Shawhan has mentioned it, too.
                            Just my opinion but I think you have to be very careful bringing religion into the the locker room. I would think overall it's a mistake. Be religious, but live by example, and don't wear it on your sleeve, is what I would say.
                            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

I'm not at all worried about MTU hockey turning into "Jesus in the locker room".

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                                Be religious, but live by example, and don't wear it on your sleeve, is what I would say.
                                You'll be fine with Shawhan but there is no pause button on your moral and spiritual makeup. His faith will be in the locker room along with the faiths and beliefs of each player or member of staff. Everyone subscribes to something.

Comment

Working...
                                X