X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech Off-season Revised - Onward and Upward

Originally posted by Broseph Stalin View Post
    Mel who?
    Yep, next man up. Just waiting to hear who it will be.
    Ryan
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Originally posted by geezer
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
    Originally posted by manurespreader
    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
      I don't understand the negativity towards Mel.
      From the very beginning of Mel's hiring, the UofM folks told us they could get him back anytime. We said, "Nah, he's back at his alma mater, a hockey school. He won't leave, he's the Big Coach on Campus. The second coming of MacInnes." And boom, first time the phone rings, Mel's gone. To a football school in a football conference. Stating it's his "Dream Job".

So while we're thankful Mel made Tech respectable again, we can't help but feel a bit slighted by his departure and Dream Job proclamations. As well as a bit scared that we may be stepping into another 30 year slump...
      Last edited by Burnt Orange Husky; 05-22-2017, 10:52 AM.
      "Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
      Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Burnt Orange Husky View Post
        a bit scared that we may be stepping into another 30 year slump...
        While there is no promise of future success, I think a large component of that 30 year era was the athletic department taking the hockey program for granted and letting it coast along with a D-II mindset that simply putting a team on the ice each season was good enough to keep fans happy. Since the Russell era (in spite of his lack of on-ice success) there has been a clear change in the resources being put behind the hockey program. Again simply spending a ore-freighter full of cash guarantees you nothing, but it does show that Tech is serious about trying to put a winning product on the ice going forward. Also given the stark contrast of the last few seasons vs the previous 30, now that Tech fans have a taste of winning they are going to be far less tolerant of losing and will be more vocal if they see the program headed back to where it was a decade ago.
        Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by Burnt Orange Husky View Post
          From the very beginning of Mel's hiring, the UofM folks told us they could get him back anytime. We said, "Nah, he's back at his alma mater, a hockey school. He won't leave, he's the Big Coach on Campus. The second coming of MacInnes." And boom, first time the phone rings, Mel's gone. To a football school in a football conference. Stating it's his "Dream Job".

So while we're thankful Mel made Tech respectable again, we can't help but feel a bit slighted by his departure and Dream Job proclamations. As well as a bit scared that we may be stepping into another 30 year slump...
          I also think its hard to move on until we know who's the new coach. Once we have something to focus our future on, it will change some of the resentment.
          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
            I also think its hard to move on until we know who's the new coach. Once we have something to focus our future on, it will change some of the resentment.
            Exactly, we're still stuck on what might have been with Mel rather than what the new guy will do because we don't have the new guy yet. Once we do I definitely think attention will shift from Mel to the new hire.
            2005-2006: 7-25-6
            2006-2007: 18-17-5
            2007-2008: 14-20-5
            2008-2009: 6-25-7
            2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
              Yep, next man up. Just waiting to hear who it will be.
              Ryan
              I felt this way 5 minutes after the announcement. Nothing against the man, but he isn't Tech's coach. Rolston can build on what's been done. If he comes in with Ellsworth we're better off than with the previous coach. A great mix of brains, experience, hard work, and connections.

Comment

The entire Mel thing was just such a great step in the right direction, it's hard to not be annoyed after he left.

In fact, really annoyed. Redmond leaving is a bummer, but if that doesn't happen, I see no reason we don't make the tournament the next two years at least. Outside of that, Tech is on some pretty stable footing, and I see no reason why we can't make a Frozen Four. Outside of game one at Duluth this year, (and denver) I can't think of a time we got blown out of a building in the past couple years.

If Mel rode it out to the end of his contract (2021) I have zero doubt we could have at least made it out of a regional.

The good news is the groundwork is laid. Hopefully whomever comes in isn't too big of a shakeup and we can build on the strong foundation that has been laid.

In the poll I voted Shawhan, but that was prior to a confirmed Ellsworth interview. My money and hopes are on Ellsworth now - I really like the idea of that, especially with the recruiting pedigree being reported
                In Mel We Trust(ed)

Comment

Think that answer will be this week? Thurs??

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                    Think that answer will be this week? Thurs??
                    I hope so, guess it depends on what happens but I could see it happening yet in May. We haven't published anything because we've kinda run out of facts.
                    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

We haven't published anything because we've kinda run out of facts.
                      The current thought process is that if we don't have any updates by next week, we're going to start a series of columns regarding who will be the next coach based on "alternative facts" that have been presented to us.

Ryan

Comment

I had heard that Michigan Tech was not going to hire a coach and allow the fans to call the shots. If indoor football teams and minor league baseball teams can do it, why not college hockey? Imagine the yearly savings on not having coaching salaries to pay, plus the money that could be made on the downloaded app! Captains' Practices all year long! It would be "YUGE"

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/sp...138645573.html
                        Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                        FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                        NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                        NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                        NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                        NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                        Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                        Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
                          I had heard that Michigan Tech was not going to hire a coach and allow the fans to call the shots. If indoor football teams and minor league baseball teams can do it, why not college hockey? Imagine the yearly savings on not having coaching salaries to pay, plus the money that could be made on the downloaded app! Captains' Practices all year long! It would be "YUGE"

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/sp...138645573.html
                          BSU can let Tommy go and I'll coach them for free.

GFM
                          Geof F. Morris
                          UAH BSE MAE 2002
                          UAHHockey.com

Comment

I had heard that Michigan Tech was not going to hire a coach and allow the fans to call the shots. If indoor football teams and minor league baseball teams can do it, why not college hockey? http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/sp...138645573.html
                            Sweet, I'm in! I'll subscribe at the higher price point and my first move as athletic director is that we're getting the team six new sets of jerseys. Home, home alternate, road, road alternate and two new throwbacks. If we look good, we'll play good. (Since I'm going to be an athletic director I can use "we" rather than "they" when referring to Huskies hockey now.) Oh and we're punting Michigan out of the GLI for an out of state invite team.

BTW, best line in that article: "The fan-run Screaming Eagles currently have a 1-2 record. Too soon to fire the fans?"

Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                              Sweet, I'm in! I'll subscribe at the higher price point and my first move as athletic director is that we're getting the team six new sets of jerseys. Home, home alternate, road, road alternate and two new throwbacks. If we look good, we'll play good. (Since I'm going to be an athletic director I can use "we" rather than "they" when referring to Huskies hockey now.) Oh and we're punting Michigan out of the GLI for an out of state invite team.

BTW, best line in that article: "The fan-run Screaming Eagles currently have a 1-2 record. Too soon to fire the fans?"

Ryan
                              Athletic Director? Who said anything about being AD? You, and other fans, just get to run the team, not the whole Husky athletic program. Just that at the higher price point, you get to "dabble" in more of the operations.

Although, I am sure you could come up with some pretty sweet jerseys! Please stay away from the camo look though, I have never really cared for that look in athletic uniforms.
                              Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                              FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                              NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                              NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                              NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                              NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                              Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                              Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Athletic Director? Who said anything about being AD? You, and other fans, just get to run the team, not the whole Husky athletic program... I am sure you could come up with some pretty sweet jerseys! Please stay away from the camo look though...
                                Well that indoor football team offered a subscription fee to be GM, so I just equated that to AD in college. Besides nothing else matters beyond hockey so the AD should be 99% focused on hockey... Just don't tell the D-II athletes on campus.

Tech actually did consider a camo jersey, well they were presented a camo option by their supplier at the time, but it never made it to the ice. Here is the prototype jersey, circa early 2010s. I thought it would have looked ok, but I'm sure it was just a money thing. As in I doubt they could have sold the jerseys for more than the jerseys would have cost to produce, thus defeating the purpose of a special, one-game, fund raising jersey.
                                Ryan

Comment

Working...
                                X