X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Michigan Tech Off-season Revised - Onward and Upward

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
    Are you making a case for Ellsworth?
    I don't recognize many of the candidates on the list but Cam's name jumped out when I first saw it and wanted to point out the similarity to Coach MacInnes. I remember Cam was an accomplished goalie and a bright spot during the Tech dark ages. When I read he's been an assistant at UMass Lowell, I got excited as they've had a lot of success in recent years. And he's young, another similarity to Coach MacInnes, who was only 31 when he was named Head Coach.
    Last edited by Burnt Orange Husky; 04-27-2017, 08:36 PM.
    "Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
    Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
      Are you making a case for Ellsworth?

I've been thinking Muckalt (or anyone from a larger program) would be a fight risk and I'd be bummed if they stayed a few years and left the team in this situation again. But as was stated earlier, if they can keep the upward trend going while they are here, it becomes more of a successful program than one successful coach. If they did bolt for a bigger school a successful Tech program would only attract even better candidates. Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
      I think FEW stay long term in today's game.

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
        No college recruiting, college contacts? Always the pros, maybe doesn't matter.
        look at Andy Murray, the key there will be the assistants, but that profile as a guy that's raise the stanley cup as a coach and been an NHL head coach is helpful. It's not like he doesn't have contacts with other former huskies and friends former coworkers working all over...
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

There is a great interview with Mel on WTKA on their website with their equivalent of Dirk Hembroth. He sounds just like Monday mornings on the Mel Pearson show.

I learned a bit from the interview, Mitch Reinke going to Calgary Flames development camp, none of the Michigan Tech assistants are heading to UM. He indicated Billy Muckalt is on the list as preferred assistant with him.

He indicated he was up late answering texts from UM alumni hockey players and The Michigan Tech faithful. He said Tech comments ranged from being sad, happy and mad.

He bragged about our d-Corp this year and mentioned how we lost Pheonix and Angus early. Also said we had some **** good hockey players during his tenure.

Take a listen, it might help to soothe the vitriol. I have calmed down a bit now making it to step 3 in the grieving process. On a positive note, I plan to skip step 4 entirely and go right to step 5 when the Huskies announce a great selection for this upcoming season.
          Despite my fondness for Mel, I can never root for UM unless they are playing North Dakota, St. Cloud, or Miami (OH).
          Last edited by Huskiefan906; 04-27-2017, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnt Orange Husky View Post
            What's really amazing is that MacInnes spent over half of his coaching career at Dee Stadium . His namesake didn't open until 1972 and I'm sure it seemed like a palace in comparison.

I think he was a humble man and genuinely enjoyed Michigan Tech, Houghton, and the Copper Country.
            A class act and a Copper Country legend!
            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
              There is a great interview with Mel on WTKA on their website with their equivalent of Dirk Hembroth. He sounds just like Monday mornings on the Mel Pearson show.

I learned a bit from the interview, Mitch Reinke going to Calgary Flames development camp, none of the Michigan Tech assistants are heading to UM. He indicated Billy Muckalt is on the list as preferred assistant with him.

He indicated he was up late answering texts from UM alumni hockey players and The Michigan Tech faithful. He said Tech comments ranged from being sad, happy and mad.

He bragged about our d-Corp this year and mentioned how we lost Pheonix and Angus early. Also said we had some **** good hockey players during his tenure.

Take a listen, it might help to soothe the vitriol. I have calmed down a bit now making it to step 3 in the grieving process. On a positive note, I plan to skip step 4 entirely and go right to step 5 when the Huskies announce a great selection for this upcoming season.
              Despite my fondness for Mel, I can never root for UM unless they are playing North Dakota, St. Cloud, or Miami (OH).
              Can't find it. Can you post the link to the interview?
              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                Depending on how this plays out, one possible scenario is:
                1) Muckalt becomes MTU HC
                2) Ellsworth becomes Tri-City HC
                3) They both succeed in those rolls
                4) Muckalt moves on to an AHL/top tier college job
                5) Ellsworth becomes MTU HC
                Like I have said, I have no clue about this whole process, but what about Muckalt with Ellsworth as assistant?
                2005-2006: 7-25-6
                2006-2007: 18-17-5
                2007-2008: 14-20-5
                2008-2009: 6-25-7
                2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post

Sorry, Hembroth made me laugh, it's Hembroff

Comment

Originally posted by bose301s View Post
                    Sorry, Hembroth made me laugh, it's Hembroff
                    Sorry I am 48, and make the occasional inadvertent typo.

Also Tech engineers outnumber Michigan engineers at my work by a 2-1 margin🇫🇮😀

Here is the link
                    https://audioboom.com/posts/5853601-04-mel-pearson-in-studio-042517?t=0
                    Last edited by Huskiefan906; 04-27-2017, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bose301s View Post
                      Like I have said, I have no clue about this whole process, but what about Muckalt with Ellsworth as assistant?
                      With the position Tech is in, it will be interesting to see which direction they go. They proved with Mel that they are willing to make things happen.

Comment

I really like the idea of Muckalt as the HC with Ellsworth and Shawhan as assistants. That way if Muckalt leaves in a few years Ellsworth could step in. I really really like coach Shawhan and the value he brings to the program, however I'm not sold as him as the head coach. For whatever reason I've never been a fan of Shuchuk so it won't hurt my feelings if he is not part of the future of Michigan Tech Hockey.

Comment

I'm sure the HC will have full control over assistant hires. Ellsworth seems great, but has Muckalt ever even met him?
                          Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                          USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                            I'm sure the HC will have full control over assistant hires. Ellsworth seems great, but has Muckalt ever even met him?
                            I think its possible, I'm sure they've crossed paths on the recruiting trail...especially over the last 2 years with Ellsworth recruiting players from Tri-City like freshman Mattias Goransson...
                            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Yeah, it feels unlikely that you'd just get those three guys together whom THG has floated as possibilities.

GFM
                              Geof F. Morris
                              UAH BSE MAE 2002
                              UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by <3_Blizzard View Post
                                I really like the idea of Muckalt as the HC with Ellsworth and Shawhan as assistants. That way if Muckalt leaves in a few years Ellsworth could step in. I really really like coach Shawhan and the value he brings to the program, however I'm not sold as him as the head coach. For whatever reason I've never been a fan of Shuchuk so it won't hurt my feelings if he is not part of the future of Michigan Tech Hockey.
                                The one thing I see with that is both Ellsworth and Shawhan are goalies and goalie coaches, not that that's bad, but I think it is good to have someone with offensive, someone with defensive and someone with goalie experience as coaches.

Comment

Working...
                                X