X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech Off-season Revised - Onward and Upward

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    But it screws our fans out of home games, and the school out of home gate revenue. Such as last season, when we had a total of 14 home games. We also started off with 9 of our first 12, and 13 of our first 18 games on the road, largely because we played 2 games each at Duluth, at Michigan, and at Michigan State in the opening 6 weeks. That's ridiculously unbalanced.
    Go look at our road/home splits over the last 18 seasons and ask me how much pity I have for you. It stinks! This much is true. But the fact is that the big schools don't have much incentive to do 2-for-1s with small schools. Win and you don't do much for your RPI; lose and you're hurting. Yes, it's lower home revenue for Mugwump State Technical College than Boston University, but you have your season ticket base to carry you through the games against MSTC.

The only way that something like this works is a contractual agreement within conferences or across them (say, WCHA-AHC-ECAC) that says, "Sign a 2-for-1 or more than N money dates and you're fined $X." That said, that won't fly with everyone. UAH has traditionally used money dates to defray the costs of the program — going to NoDak for "their Stanley Cup Game 7" is pretty lucrative.

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by The Troll mtu86 View Post
      It was an entertaining show this morning for sure. Joe getting a little fired-up over 2 for 1s and Mel's coaching style was worth it all on it's own. Goaltending shaping up to be the question mark again this year. D sounds solid with four returning and one coming in having some college experience already. Going to be pretty stiff completion for that 6th D spot.On offense it sounds like some speed coming in, and little bit of a raw talent project in Reitmeier (a lot of upside if he develops). Guys that are going to have to grow into the college game a little bit. Baltus and the rest of the upperclassmen are going to have to provide the scoring. I like the emphasis on playing faster. If they can do it, and still be responsible on the D end this should be a fun team to watch.

WOW just listened to the Joe Hour. Talk about fully of energy and raring to go.

If his eye for recruits and creating a team, is as good as his energy, this team will be firing on all points.

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
        Go look at our road/home splits over the last 18 seasons and ask me how much pity I have for you. It stinks! This much is true. But the fact is that the big schools don't have much incentive to do 2-for-1s with small schools. Win and you don't do much for your RPI; lose and you're hurting. Yes, it's lower home revenue for Mugwump State Technical College than Boston University, but you have your season ticket base to carry you through the games against MSTC.

The only way that something like this works is a contractual agreement within conferences or across them (say, WCHA-AHC-ECAC) that says, "Sign a 2-for-1 or more than N money dates and you're fined $X." That said, that won't fly with everyone. UAH has traditionally used money dates to defray the costs of the program — going to NoDak for "their Stanley Cup Game 7" is pretty lucrative.

GFM
        the big ten flies to virtually every away game via charter flight. Whether it's 20 minutes or 2 hours, and it's never two hours, mostly it's an hour or a little less. it's no skin off their nose to go to any small school no matter who. The only issue is the money they want for themselves and the exposure they get in front of their home fans. I get that they pay off teams to show up but to me it's unfair and false benefit because if they keep doing it they won't have anyone to play but themselves. The big AD's are under pressure to get as much money as they can and they do it on the backs of the smaller schools.
        I'd rather play the ECAC or the NCHC at home and get one for ones, even though in Tech's particular case, there are so many alumni in Michigan and Ohio that many of these away games turn into de-facto home games for Tech,With Tech fans nearly outnumbering the home team's fans.It's real hard for me to get to Houghton for a series, but to go to one in Lansing or somewhere in the lower is a lot easier.
        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

If anyone would be interested in one of Dane Birks' jerseys from the Pittsburgh Penguins development camp, drop me a line at info@johnsonsjerseys.net. I had to buy both, but one is fine for me so I'm just going to sell the other. Doesn't matter to me which one I keep. I'm asking $85 or best offer which includes shipping in the US. Nice, heavy pro quality jerseys with light wear, team tagging on the inside and team LoA included as well.
          Ryan

Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
          https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
          Originally posted by geezer
          Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
          Originally posted by manurespreader
          ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

August lull: So when will we get a sneak peek at the new jersey? And will it be carried in the SDC store?

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
              Mel can take a 1-for-1, or nothing.
              How much of this decision lies with Mel and how much with the AD? Not trying to start controversy, honestly wasn't sure of the answer. I'd think Mel would do right by Tech, but wondering if he can make that call on his own.

Comment

August lull: So when will we get a sneak peek at the new jersey? And will it be carried in the SDC store?
                I am told within the next 30 days. No word on whether or not, the school will be selling replicas. I don't see why they wouldn't. I've never known the school to miss the chance to sell something.

Originally posted by TalonsUpPuckDown View Post
                How much of this decision lies with Mel and how much with the AD? Not trying to start controversy, honestly wasn't sure of the answer. I'd think Mel would do right by Tech, but wondering if he can make that call on his own.
                If that former Huskies coach wanted to do right by Tech, he would be behind the Huskies bench this season. Considering he is already poaching players he recruited to play for Tech, one of whom had already signed an NLI, he clearly isn't going to be doing the Huskies any favors now or in the future. It may not be his decision, but I doubt he is at the negotiations table asking if something nice can be done for Tech. If they give Tech a 1 for 1 deal, they've just opened the floodgates for every other team to demand the same.
                Ryan J

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                  I am told within the next 30 days. No word on whether or not, the school will be selling replicas. I don't see why they wouldn't. I've never known the school to miss the chance to sell something.

If that former Huskies coach wanted to do right by Tech, he would be behind the Huskies bench this season. Considering he is already poaching players he recruited to play for Tech, one of whom had already signed an NLI, he clearly isn't going to be doing the Huskies any favors now or in the future. It may not be his decision, but I doubt he is at the negotiations table asking if something nice can be done for Tech. If they give Tech a 1 for 1 deal, they've just opened the floodgates for every other team to demand the same.
                  Ryan J
                  It is presumed Coach Shawhan and his assistants will do right by Tech. That is what I'm concerned about. That guy that held the seat until Joe was ready can do whatever he wants in Skunkville. As long as he doesn't beat Tech, I don't care what he does.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Cooper Watson hopes to continue and build upon his older brother's legacy:

http://www.mininggazette.com/sports/...-accomplished/

Comment

I am told within the next 30 days. No word on whether or not, the school will be selling replicas. I don't see why they wouldn't. I've never known the school to miss the chance to sell something.Ryan J
                      Regardless of how much I've pestered Suzanne (and trust me I've pestered a lot), they still don't sell the cream GLI jerseys...

Comment

Regardless of how much I've pestered Suzanne (and trust me I've pestered a lot), they still don't sell the cream GLI jerseys...
                        Shirtless has put in 3 orders for them IIRC, I know it's at least 2, and they are official game jerseys, not replicas, I have a Tanner Kero one I ordered 2 years ago.
                        2005-2006: 7-25-6
                        2006-2007: 18-17-5
                        2007-2008: 14-20-5
                        2008-2009: 6-25-7
                        2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

I suppose every time you ask if the school is going to order some they figure, "Oh this likely will be the last year the team wears that style, no point ordering them now..."
                          2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017.... Five years later, they are STILL using them and they are going to be worn again this season.
                          Ryan J

Comment

I suppose every time you ask if the school is going to order some they figure, "Oh this likely will be the last year the team wears that style, no point ordering them now..."
                            2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017.... Five years later, they are STILL using them and they are going to be worn again this season.
                            Ryan J
                            They're just such awesome jerseys, I can't blame them for keeping them around.
                            2005-2006: 7-25-6
                            2006-2007: 18-17-5
                            2007-2008: 14-20-5
                            2008-2009: 6-25-7
                            2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

Working...
                            X