This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech Off-season Revised - Onward and Upward

Will UM be gracing the MaC anytime soon? I have a feeling GLIs only for at least the short term.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
      Will UM be gracing the MaC anytime soon? I have a feeling GLIs only for at least the short term.
      Mel was very careful to never criticize 2-for-1 requirements, so you can be sure if he brings his new team here for a series, we'll be going there twice.

Also, yesterday was the first time he's acknowledged Michigan Tech on twitter since taking his new job.

Comment

Originally posted by redwing61 View Post
        Mel was very careful to never criticize 2-for-1 requirements, so you can be sure if he brings his new team here for a series, we'll be going there twice.

Also, yesterday was the first time he's acknowledged Michigan Tech on twitter since taking his new job.
        That tweet makes me want to gag, it's a night you'll never forget but a few weeks later you turned your back on us.
        2005-2006: 7-25-6
        2006-2007: 18-17-5
        2007-2008: 14-20-5
        2008-2009: 6-25-7
        2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

• Originally posted by bose301s View Post
          That tweet makes me want to gag, it's a night you'll never forget but a few weeks later you turned your back on us.
          He "turned his back?" He was offered another job that greatly increased his income, maybe even doubled it when you consider bonuses, benefits, media contracts and such. Be thankful that he was so successful at Tech that Michigan wanted to offer him the job.
          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

New era, new staff. Stop talking about Pearson - unfollow him on Twitter if you have to. This is getting silly.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
              New era, new staff. Stop talking about Pearson - unfollow him on Twitter if you have to. This is getting silly.
              Sounds like a plan...I already unfollowed him...don't really see a point in following him anymore...I can't stand Michigan Hockey...what do you think of the staff?
              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by bose301s View Post
                If you were in the same situation and were offered a pay raise and more benefits and also be closer to your family would you turn down the offer?

Mel didn't turn his back on MTU..he returned the program back to respectibility.

I am sure it was a tough decision to make. I am sure his family had some input in his decision.
                Last edited by Wi.Huskies Fan; 06-29-2017, 09:22 PM.
                MTU Huskies 3 time NCAA Champions... and going for more.
                2017-18 WCHA playoff Pick'em Champion!

Comment

Originally posted by Wi.Huskies Fan View Post
                  Mel didn't turn his back on MTU..he returned the program back to respectibility.
                  Mel who?
                  "Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
                  Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Burnt Orange Husky View Post
                    That's awesome!
                    2005-2006: 7-25-6
                    2006-2007: 18-17-5
                    2007-2008: 14-20-5
                    2008-2009: 6-25-7
                    2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

Originally posted by Burnt Orange Husky View Post
                      Mel who?
                      Actually he changed the spelling when he took the new position it's now "Meyel". It is still pronounced [mel] but there is an "I" at the center of it all...

As for the staff, overall I was hoping for a big name splash. Whether they were the best coaches or not, I felt Tech needed that to show things were going to the next level. I guess now, we'll have to let the product on the ice determine if the right moves were made. I think they all have legit resumes for their roles. I think we should continue to over recruit and grab all the talent we can get (until the NCAA creates firm rules that say otherwise).

Just tell the kids "Hey, we want you, but you're competing for a spot on this roster starting right now. How soon you get to campus and see the ice is up to you. If you develop faster than the others, we'll see you soon and you'll be on the ice come game time. If you stagnate in your development, you may not even get on campus..."

If we end up with one or two kids that want more playing time than Tech can offer, I'm sure Brooks can get help them get on the team at UW-StP. The Pointers could consider them compensatory picks for us snagging their coach. I'm sure any D-III team would love to pick up a couple fringe D-I players to bolster their roster.

Ryan J
                      Last edited by JohnsonsJerseys; 06-30-2017, 07:44 AM.
                      Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                      https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                      Originally posted by geezer
                      Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                      Originally posted by manurespreader
                      ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                        As for the staff, overall I was hoping for a big name splash. Whether they were the best coaches or not, I felt Tech needed that to show things were going to the next level. I guess now, we'll have to let the product on the ice determine if the right moves were made. I think they all have legit resumes for their roles. I think we should continue to over recruit and grab all the talent we can get (until the NCAA creates firm rules that say otherwise). Ryan J
                        Yep, gonna have to see how it goes and let the product speak for itself.

Finally had a chance to listen to the interview. Liked that we are looking to be more aggressive on the forecheck. Liked Coach's attitude that we want players who want to be part of something special and if they don't want to be here... don't let the door hit you on the way out.. Couldn't agree more. Some of those recruits who want out and think they are going to follow the former coach to uofm might be in for a very rude awakening! As in they were/are a very good fit for Tech, but really no so much for uofm.. They are all superstars when they have an agent/family advisor whispering in their ears, right

I noticed that back in Shawhan's first interview he mentioned that we would be returning 4 D-men. That must mean Kiilunen will be staying on the roster. Wonder if that helps or hurts with the roster crunch. Sounds like Coach is willing to play whomever is performing the best, scholarship player or not. Maybe Todd has a chance of seeing some game action this year.

Comment

Overall, I like the staff. Joe was obviously the conservative "promote from within" choice, but I think he's perfectly qualified for the job, and has surrounded himself with two very good assistants. Giving Joe the reins also means the team won't have to spend 3 years making a huge transition in playing style or recruiting profiles, and it sounds like he plans to continue the speedy puck possession system that Mel implemented, with a few tweaks. As for over-recruiting, I guess we'll see how long Joe sticks to his altruistic view now that he's in fully charge of the roster. My guess is that while he won't do quite as much stockpiling as Mel did, he'll end up having to do some level of it.

Comment

I have gotten over the fact that Mel's heart was elsewhere. Still seems foreign hearing him talk Michigan hockey, YUCK, but I will always tip my hat to what he did here.

When Joe Shawhan was hired, I was curious if Mel's plan was really getting the necessary goalie help to alleviate the loss of Steve Shields or if he felt that he was hiring someone that could take over as we have all learned now that he would jump if that job became open. But, for now what is done is done, do not disparage Mel, just root for our team and provide our new coach and staff all the support. Sure, the GLI's are going to be interesting, but hey let's make it a focus to win more than we have previously. I love hockey, I love Tech hockey, and I can't wait to see where Coach Shawhan can take us.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                              I think we should continue to over recruit and grab all the talent we can get (until the NCAA creates firm rules that say otherwise).

Ryan J
                              Rumor is that the NCAA is going to step in and legislate the recruiting process. I believe coach Shawhan spoke about it slightly in his show. But I have heard elsewhere that it's being considered what with 12 yr old kids committing etc, etc. Long overdue if you ask me and other sports are just as bad as this one so I think this is an NCAA type of deal, not just hockey.
                              MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Any word what is going on with Cliff Watson, has he signed with San Jose?

Comment

Working...
                                X