This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
    Why would Ellsworth make what is at best a lateral move both financially and position wise? And would the top assistant position and salary be available if Shuchuk were to remain on staff? Then you would also have to have an equal financial move for his wife and her job.
    Guess we will find out tomorrow.
    MTU Huskies 3 time NCAA Champions... and going for more.
    2017-18 WCHA playoff Pick'em Champion!

Comment

• Originally posted by Wi.Huskies Fan View Post
      Guess we will find out tomorrow.
      Read up a few posts for the answer.
      I believe his wife is also from the copper country..

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech Off-season Revised - Onward and Upward

The next move for Ellsworth is Head coach somewhere, I doubt he leaves UML for less than that.
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Shawhan the Coach needs to draw talent to Houghton, Ellsworth fills the recruiting strength and gets on the job familiarity before taking over down the road.
          It seems like connecting the dots is clear otherwise I think Muckalt or Ellsworth would have got the job after Rolston was out.
          I think we have a solid coach, but the worry is matching/replacing the recruiting draw that Mel had.
          Maybe over thinking or just wishful thinking....
          Last edited by Huskiefan906; 05-29-2017, 10:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
            Shawhan the Coach needs to draw talent to Houghton, Ellsworth fills the recruiting strength and gets on the job familiarity before taking over down the road.
            It seems like connecting the dots is clear otherwise I think Muckalt or Ellsworth would have got the job after Rolston was out.
            I think we have a solid coach, but the worry is matching/replacing the recruiting draw that Mel had.
            What was the recruiting draw Mel had? Even he said when he started he was getting guys saying no way or not answering the phone. So the real key is development to show they can go to the next level.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
              The next move for Ellsworth is Head coach somewhere, I doubt he leaves UML for less than that.
              Absolutely. Zero chance he leaves UML for anything short of HC gig in USHL or NCAA.
              https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
              Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

I am pretty confident Muckalt would not have gotten the job. Of the 4 remaining "known" candidates, obviously knowing nothing about how their interviews went, I tend to think Ellsworth and Mikesch had roughly equal odds. However, there were also a couple of mystery interviews that we will likely never know the identity of.

I don't think there's anything worth seriously dwelling on though. We hired a good coach, IMO. One that, should he put successful teams on ice, is fairly likely to stick around for the duration.

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                What was the recruiting draw Mel had? Even he said when he started he was getting guys saying no way or not answering the phone. So the real key is development to show they can go to the next level.
                This. Recruiting is 80% program success/ability to develop players for the pros, and 20% perceived program "prestige".

How do you think UML gets the recruits they do? It isn't because folks outside the Northeast have ever heard of the school. I won't pretend that most people outside of the Midwest have ever heard of MTU either, even casual college hockey fans (as proven to me by our Connecticut sales guy who is a Yale fan).

Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
                Absolutely. Zero chance he leaves UML for anything short of HC gig in USHL or NCAA.
                I've stated privately that I'd like to see him take a USHL head gig. He's proven that he's quite ready.
                Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 05-30-2017, 12:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
                  Muckalt left a HC gig to be an assistant at Michigan so it happens. Don't discount Julie Ellsworth's influence and the desire to get their infant son, Asher, closer to family.
                  "Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
                  Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Burnt Orange Husky View Post
                    Muckalt left a HC gig to be an assistant at Michigan so it happens.
                    He likely just wanted to relocate closer to Wal-Mart.

I can't wait to see the looks on people's faces in about 20 minutes when Scotty Bowman is announced as the next Tech head coach.
                    Ryan J
                    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                    Originally posted by geezer
                    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                    Originally posted by manurespreader
                    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Tech announced that Joe is the head coach ... Go Huskies!!

http://www.michigantechhuskies.com/s...20170530dkg3m3

Comment

I would like to stake my claim as one of the two votes for Shawhan in the poll. Winning!
                        In Mel We Trust(ed)

Comment

Originally posted by Burnt Orange Husky View Post
                          Muckalt left a HC gig to be an assistant at Michigan so it happens. Don't discount Julie Ellsworth's influence and the desire to get their infant son, Asher, closer to family.
                          If you remember (or maybe didn't know), Joe Shawhan was Cam Ellsworth's coach with the Soo Indians.

Comment

"Dr." Suzanne Sanregret mentioned a list of names to thank, so you can infer from that who could have possibly been on the committee:

Brian Brewster
                            Tyler Shelast
                            Mike Stevens
                            Bill Sproule
                            Joel Isaccson
                            Calvin Larson
                            Gary Kruzich
                            Darcy Way
                            Kevin Luke
                            Alane Isaacson
                            Brent Baltus
                            Mike Neville

Les Cook and Glenn Mroz were part of the search but I don't think they were part of the committee.

Suzanne was crying at the end of her introduction of Joe. His off-mic remark - "I hope those are tears of joy."

Comment

I see Ellsworth as a given, we need recruiting strength.

Just makes sense connecting the dots.
                              You do realize he is still under contract elsewhere right?
                              BS UMass Lowell 2015
                              PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

Originally posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
                                You do realize he is still under contract elsewhere right?
                                While I agree with you that he is unlikely to leave, contracts really don't mean much...that's why we had to have a coaching search.
                                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Working...
                                X