X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech Off-season Revised - Onward and Upward

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    You tell that to Travis Brown, Aleksi Poikola, Tristan Rostagno, Jake Gingell, and their families. all but Poikola committed over a year ago and we're all in on MTU, now they're pushing aging out and have limited options. No one can deny that Pearson succeeded on ice, but there is more to a program than just winning. You need to treat people the right way. Those four guys and their families deserved better from Pearson. As you can see from the THG article, this has been happening for awhile and this year is just the worst example.
    Is there any evidence of this happening with Mel and Red at UM before he came to tech? Or other schools? Seems to me that it wouldn't be as big of a problem if more kids left after 1 or 2 years like some of those programs have.

Personally I would prefer to not over-recruit and have the guys stay all 4 years.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
      You don't know who was offered what money or who were walk ons. I saw both Rostagno and Brown were players who had regressed from the USHL back to the NAHL. They were depth players. I saw both last year. Chances are they'd have spent more time in coats & ties than helmets and pads. As for over recruiting, what exactly is over recruiting. If you have a non-qualifier and a de-commit, and then run into an injury of two, all of a sudden whatever that perfect number is leaves you short handed. Until an NLI is signed, players can de-commit, but teams can too.
      Easy solution. Have an early signing period. Make sure the school has some skin in the game. If you're going to commit early, let's put pen to paper. The players need to shoulder some of the blame as well. Don't commit to a school that has 20+ verbals sitting out there. At some point, you have to know somebody is going to be the odd man out.
      "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
        Is there any evidence of this happening with Mel and Red at UM before he came to tech? Or other schools? Seems to me that it wouldn't be as big of a problem if more kids left after 1 or 2 years like some of those programs have.

Personally I would prefer to not over-recruit and have the guys stay all 4 years.
        the difference is that leftovers from Michigan have options. Most of the WCHA would take a decommit from Michigan if it happened and typically that all goes down before they get too old to play another year of juniors and find a new team. None of the above have that option except Gingell and he has to enroll somewhere and then will have 4 years to play his 4 if it works out for him.
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by eye4talent View Post
          Easy solution. Have an early signing period. Make sure the school has some skin in the game. If you're going to commit early, let's put pen to paper. The players need to shoulder some of the blame as well. Don't commit to a school that has 20+ verbals sitting out there. At some point, you have to know somebody is going to be the odd man out.
          Comes down to it a verbal means NOTHING. Allow the NLI's to be signed at any time. I see women's coaching having commits at 8-9th grade.

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
            Money would be better spent to endow some other things. ie Men's hockey coach positions, scholarships, etc
            My intent is that a women's team would have to stand on its own supported by new donations from female donors. Donors who won't/don't donate to the men's team. If the well paid female Tech alums can't raise the money then no team. Put a number out there, inspire people, and see what happens. I'd like to know what the number is. It might take a few years to raise enough.

I've learned a few things in life and one of them is, if you don't ask, you don't get...
            Last edited by Burnt Orange Husky; 07-14-2017, 02:03 PM.
            "Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
            Abe Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by RapidsCity View Post
              Yeah. That Pearson guy really screwed the Tech program up.
              Players decommit. Players leave early. Does that not leave the team in a bad spot? It's not a commitment until there's a signed NLI.
              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
                It's a very common practice in D-1 sports, as is "gray shirting."

https://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...redshirt-rules
                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

It's a very common practice in D-1 sports, as is "gray shirting."

https://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...redshirt-rules
                  Can you effectively grayshirt in a sport that crosses the semester boundary (hoops, hockey, et al)?

GFM
                  Geof F. Morris
                  UAH BSE MAE 2002
                  UAHHockey.com

Comment

We've got a commitment from Jake Crespi, Michigan's 2017 Mr. Hockey.

https://***********/jakecrespi24

Comment

Originally posted by redwing61 View Post
                      We've got a commitment from Jake Crespi, Michigan's 2017 Mr. Hockey.

https://***********/jakecrespi24
                      Sounds like Jake doesn't really know what he is doing. First LSSU. Then a commit that's not a commit to NMU. And now tweeting he's committed to Tech. And no official announcement on Tech's part..

I've seen him play more than several times over the past two years. I think a lot of people are reading far to much into that "Mr. Hockey" thing. He cost Brighton one of their games against Hartland this year by running his mouth at a ref. And was largely a non-factor in the championship game against CC. Brighton got the early lead and then hung on for dear life. Stuck in their own zone for two periods, regardless of whether or not Crespi was on the ice. Brighton's goalie won that Championship.

No matter where Crespi ends up (assuming Tech for the moment) he needs a couple of years in juniors, and some maturing when it comes to controlling his mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by The Troll mtu86 View Post
                        Sounds like Jake doesn't really know what he is doing. First LSSU. Then a commit that's not a commit to NMU. And now tweeting he's committed to Tech. And no official announcement on Tech's part..

I've seen him play more than several times over the past two years. I think a lot of people are reading far to much into that "Mr. Hockey" thing. He cost Brighton one of their games against Hartland this year by running his mouth at a ref. And was largely a non-factor in the championship game against CC. Brighton got the early lead and then hung on for dear life. Stuck in their own zone for two periods, regardless of whether or not Crespi was on the ice. Brighton's goalie won that Championship.

No matter where Crespi ends up (assuming Tech for the moment) he needs a couple of years in juniors, and some maturing when it comes to controlling his mouth.
                        MTU can't say anything official without an NLI and as far as I know this is just a verbal commitment. There was never anything remotely legit about a commitment to NMU as far as I know...lots of kids that commit as early as Crespi did to LSSU change their minds...
                        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Which is exactly why verbals before age 17 are ridiculous, and should be banned by the NCAA.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                            Which is exactly why verbals before age 17 are ridiculous, and should be banned by the NCAA.
                            Exactly, agree 100%

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                              And how would you enforce such a rule? There really is no such thing as a verbal commitment, since it is not in any way a commitment. The only commitment is the NLI. If you use 17th Birthday as the benchmark, does it but kids born in November at a disadvantage to those born in February? If a player or team backs out of this verbal commitment, what happens?

Comment

And how would you enforce such a rule? There really is no such thing as a verbal commitment, since it is not in any way a commitment. The only commitment is the NLI. If you use 17th Birthday as the benchmark, does it but kids born in November at a disadvantage to those born in February? If a player or team backs out of this verbal commitment, what happens?
                                Dave, I don't know how I would enforce it. However, can we agree that verbals before 16 or 17 are just ridiculous? There is ground to be found here, I think. There is a suitable threshold.

Comment

Working...
                                X