X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech Off-season Revised - Onward and Upward

http://techhockeyguide.com/news/2017...017-and-beyond
    Read this and let me know if you still have questions and I'll try and figure out whats on the record in the mean time...
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
      I would love to see a Tech women's hockey team, however I don't see any chance MTU wants to start up another sports program that I think we can all agree would be a heavy negative cash flow for the athletics department. Hockey is not a cheap sport and a lot of men's programs barely generate revenue. A women's hockey team at Tech would simply add more strain to an athletics budget that does not have a surplus of money to burn. Nothing against women's hockey, but if campuses like Michigan and State are not fielding women's teams that should be an indication of how close Tech could be to putting a women's hockey team on the ice. If the Keweenaw K-Wings (do they even exist any more?) were drawing 1,000 people per game, I would feel differently about a women's D-I team at Tech.

Ryan J
      Money would be better spent to endow some other things. ie Men's hockey coach positions, scholarships, etc

Comment

From the THG article:
        "Now, with the release of the projected 2017-18 roster, it appears obvious that things have been handled poorly over the last few years, and to some extent Pearson's entire tenure. "

I have to admit that I was smitten by Mel and thought he could do no wrong. I hope Joe can right the ship and this doesn't hurt the program long-term.

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
          From the THG article:
          "Now, with the release of the projected 2017-18 roster, it appears obvious that things have been handled poorly over the last few years, and to some extent Pearson's entire tenure. "

I have to admit that I was smitten by Mel and thought he could do no wrong. I hope Joe can right the ship and this doesn't hurt the program long-term.
          Really sad to see that Tristan Rostagno isn't coming. He committed a long time ago and although he developed slowly, he had a great last season. Also very disappointed about Becker and Pehrson. I get that Mel needed to cast a wide net in order to keep bringing in top talent, but it's sad to see us not honor such a large number of commitments. I don't recall seeing this happen to such an extent in any other programs and I hope it doesn't hurt our recruitment image.

Comment

Originally posted by UpNorthHockey View Post
            Really sad to see that Tristan Rostagno isn't coming. He committed a long time ago and although he developed slowly, he had a great last season. Also very disappointed about Becker and Pehrson. I get that Mel needed to cast a wide net in order to keep bringing in top talent, but it's sad to see us not honor such a large number of commitments. I don't recall seeing this happen to such an extent in any other programs and I hope it doesn't hurt our recruitment image.
            I'm sure he and his family are angry at the situation but I hope they and everyone else left out understands that there wasn't much Shawhan could do...there wasn't enough scholarship money to go around and someone needed to be cut out...sadly it was Brown, Rostagno, and Gingell.
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

The hazards of recruiting and going after such young kids, and over recruiting. Someone gets burned when it's time to make final cuts. The darkside of college hockey that few people see or if they do, don't want to do anything about.

I heard that Rostango is a pretty good kid, and smart. His family supposedly had some connections to Tech. I don't like to see the ones with family connections get burned. That will hurt them down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                I'm sure he and his family are angry at the situation but I hope they and everyone else left out understands that there wasn't much Shawhan could do...there wasn't enough scholarship money to go around and someone needed to be cut out...sadly it was Brown, Rostagno, and Gingell.
                I hope what you mean by scholarship money is that full or partial offers were made that MAX out what's allowed by the NCAA. As well as academic offers as allowed. Hopefully you do not mean Tech does not offer the full amount of scholarships?

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                  I hope what you mean by scholarship money is that full or partial offers were made that MAX out what's allowed by the NCAA. As well as academic offers as allowed. Hopefully you do not mean Tech does not offer the full amount of scholarships?
                  I'm saying that for MTU to honor all the commitments made by pearson, they would be violating NCAA rules. Shawhan offered all the recruits the opportunity to still walk on and deal with the numbers but had no money left.

Comment

No one was complaining when Tech won the Broadmoor last season. I know this is tough to be in this situation, but I hope the best for the guys and hope that they can find a new landing spot. I look at the guys arriving on campus and I just got the urge to order the season package once again for a third straight year.
                    I think Misiak and Reitmeyer crack the lineup and Russell may just do it as well.

Watson, Donohue, Meek, and Rockwell fighting it out for the 3rd pair.

Hopefully, the goaltending is solid to start the season.

Go Huskies!!

Comment

Pretty crappy situation Mel left Joe with, in his rush to flee Houghton under cover of darkness and kiss the One Ring.

We've got some pretty good depth at forward. I see us finishing anywhere from 2nd to 6th next year.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                        Pretty crappy situation Mel left Joe with, in his rush to flee Houghton under cover of darkness and kiss the One Ring.

We've got some pretty good depth at forward. I see us finishing anywhere from 2nd to 6th next year.
                        Can understand a bit more now about Joe's radio comments.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                          I'm saying that for MTU to honor all the commitments made by pearson, they would be violating NCAA rules. Shawhan offered all the recruits the opportunity to still walk on and deal with the numbers but had no money left.
                          You don't know who was offered what money or who were walk ons. I saw both Rostagno and Brown were players who had regressed from the USHL back to the NAHL. They were depth players. I saw both last year. Chances are they'd have spent more time in coats & ties than helmets and pads. As for over recruiting, what exactly is over recruiting. If you have a non-qualifier and a de-commit, and then run into an injury of two, all of a sudden whatever that perfect number is leaves you short handed. Until an NLI is signed, players can de-commit, but teams can too.
                          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                            You don't know who was offered what money or who were walk ons. I saw both Rostagno and Brown were players who had regressed from the USHL back to the NAHL. They were depth players. I saw both last year. Chances are they'd have spent more time in coats & ties than helmets and pads. As for over recruiting, what exactly is over recruiting. If you have a non-qualifier and a de-commit, and then run into an injury of two, all of a sudden whatever that perfect number is leaves you short handed. Until an NLI is signed, players can de-commit, but teams can too.
                            Rostagno and Gingell had NLIs so they were not walk-ons, say what ever you want but Pearson completely F-d this up.
                            Last edited by Shirtless Guy; 07-13-2017, 10:17 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                              Rostagno and Gingell had NLIs so they were not walk-ons, say what ever you want but Pearson completely F-d this up.
                              Yeah. That Pearson guy really screwed the Tech program up.

Comment

Originally posted by RapidsCity View Post
                                Yeah. That Pearson guy really screwed the Tech program up.
                                You tell that to Travis Brown, Aleksi Poikola, Tristan Rostagno, Jake Gingell, and their families. all but Poikola committed over a year ago and we're all in on MTU, now they're pushing aging out and have limited options. No one can deny that Pearson succeeded on ice, but there is more to a program than just winning. You need to treat people the right way. Those four guys and their families deserved better from Pearson. As you can see from the THG article, this has been happening for awhile and this year is just the worst example.

Comment

Working...
                                X