This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
    What happened with Cianfarano doesn't speak to anyone's academic abilities, and the long lead time of commitment ought to have made her rejection less likely, rather than more. The specific issue in her case was not grades; it was that she didn't take a sufficient number of what the Big 10 considers to be core academic classes. No one, so far as I know, has suggested that she wouldn't have passed that extra class had she taken it, or that it indicated that she wouldn't have been academically successful. My understanding is that she could have been admitted to Wisconsin, but that she wouldn't have been eligible to play hockey as a freshman and would have had to redshirt.

Given how far ahead she committed to Wisconsin, she really ought to have been aware of the set of classes she needed to take to be eligible. There is some confusion involved with Canadian high school students, but someone should have been on top of this. Some of the blame falls on the Wisconsin athletic department for not communicating. If this has happened again with Shirley (which, so far as I can tell, remains nothing but an unsourced rumor, and even if she isn't eligible, we don't know if it's the same issue), then it's on Mark Johnson.
    Completely agree on this case. I was merely referring to the overall challenge of committing to girls 3 years before graduation. Not unlike on the sports side where players can get hurt or stop developing, the same thing can happen on the academic front: they stop developing or focus too much on sports and their marks suffer, hang out with the wrong crowd, etc.
    There is no real excuse for not having taken the required courses.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
      It should be noted that the problem with Cianfarano's admission was failing to meet a Big 10 standard, so she wouldn't have been admitted to Minnesota, either.
      Please don't bring reality into this while Buckies kids try to bash MN. It takes an excuse away from the dears

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2017-2018

Future mega recruit MaKenna Webster has made the U17 US field hockey team. That is one sport that I just haven't been able to get into.
        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
          I'll break this down a little futher...

Ummm...No they aren't. Where is the proof of this? Wisconsin's record for the 3 years without Cianfarano is 97-14-9 with 8 of the 14 losses coming against Minnesota. Minnesota is definitely having an effect on Wisconsin's won/loss record.

So are you implying that other institutions, besides Wisconsin, "actually" don't have much in they way of academic standards?

Quinnipiac took on Cianfarano...Who has the U of M let in?

So again, are you implying that other institutions, besides Wisconsin, aren't preparing girls for the future?

TimothyA would say he finds paint thinner quite refreshing...

So again, are you implying that other institutions, besides Wisconsin, are selling their souls to hang banners?

Where's the proof that for years, young women have been picking schools based on banners and not degrees? And BTW, doesn't Wisconsin have quite a few of those banners themselves?

So again, are you implying that other institutions, besides Wisconisn, are sweeping academic issues under the rug?

Where's the proof? The proof is facts, information and specifics, however, I won't be going there I don't feel it's appropriate.

Am I understanding you correctly that all schools have the same academic standards and for that matter moral standards? I find it ironic that grown men(myself included) can hyperanalize and sometimes criticize kids and schools for there lack hockey talent or banners. Beating your chest and reminding others that they are inferior is lauded but the thought merely implying that another school perhaps having higher academic admission standards is blasphemy.

And yes girls are selling there souls for banners at Minnesota, Wisconsin or whatever. I know girls that have committed to these schools without ever visiting any other schools recruiting them and not even picking up the phone to answer a call from Harvard, Yale or Princeton. I believe I know of two girls that committed to one of these juggernauts that had never been on campus.

This is an observation not a criticism that girls are doing this. If a young lady wants to play for the best and and challenge her love for the game that is wonderful and is nobody's business but hers. And yes, many people are tremendously successful graduating from the U of M or W, however, I won't pretend that all academic enrollment qualifications are created equally.

The U of M's success is based on banner's. Not the school, not the science lab, not dorms, not the professors, but banners! Young girls talk about being a gopher someday and have never been on campus, been to a game or met the coach. They go there because they hang banners, get it???? And no, I am not implying this is anything negative, condescending, unethical, immoral or any other adjective. Picking a school because of there sports program is not something anyone should feel sheepish about. Being a student athlete is hard enough. Being a student athlete on one of the nations best teams is even harder. Great preparation for life!

Comment

Originally posted by upfromtheminors View Post
            Where's the proof? The proof is facts, information and specifics, however, I won't be going there I don't feel it's appropriate.
            How convenient...Maybe that feeling of inappropriateness should have caused you to not post originally?

Am I understanding you correctly that all schools have the same academic standards and for that matter moral standards? I find it ironic that grown men(myself included) can hyperanalize and sometimes criticize kids and schools for there lack hockey talent or banners. Beating your chest and reminding others that they are inferior is lauded but the thought merely implying that another school perhaps having higher academic admission standards is blasphemy.
            Obviously not.

And yes girls are selling there souls for banners at Minnesota, Wisconsin or whatever. I know girls that have committed to these schools without ever visiting any other schools recruiting them and not even picking up the phone to answer a call from Harvard, Yale or Princeton. I believe I know of two girls that committed to one of these juggernauts that had never been on campus.
            So wait, Now Wisconsin is selling their soul for banners?

This is an observation not a criticism that girls are doing this. If a young lady wants to play for the best and and challenge her love for the game that is wonderful and is nobody's business but hers. And yes, many people are tremendously successful graduating from the U of M or W, however, I won't pretend that all academic enrollment qualifications are created equally.
            But you will pretend that there are these facts, information, and specifics that just can't be talked about, right?

The U of M's success is based on banner's. Not the school, not the science lab, not dorms, not the professors, but banners! Young girls talk about being a gopher someday and have never been on campus, been to a game or met the coach. They go there because they hang banners, get it???? And no, I am not implying this is anything negative, condescending, unethical, immoral or any other adjective. Picking a school because of there sports program is not something anyone should feel sheepish about. Being a student athlete is hard enough. Being a student athlete on one of the nations best teams is even harder. Great preparation for life!
            Just be honest and come out and say you've got a major bee in your bonnet about Minnesota.
            At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
              How convenient...Maybe that feeling of inappropriateness should have caused you to not post originally?

When I speak of being inappropriate, Shirley and TT where already named in the conversation. You want proof and proof often comes with Names. I would prefer not to use names because we are just talking hockey here and discussing a girls ACT or grades is not cool with me on the forum, and "winning" an argument with pieholefrenzy is definitely not that important. I will give you this, trading banners for degrees was probably not a good choice of words. It is what I meant, but probably was not specific enough. When I said banners for degrees, I did not mean actually graduating and getting a degree. I meant how is Minnesota, Wisconsin and UMD out recruiting Harvard, Yale or even BC some very respected institutions to obtain a degree from? So in other words, trading winning (banners) rather than obtaining a degree from some of our nations most esteemed universities, in the business world (not hockey frenzy world)?

With that I commented that I thought it was refreshing to stick admission standards. But now after reading your comments carefully. I have come to realize that Wisconsin probably just recruited the only 2 girls in women's hockey with poor grades or a bad ACT score.

And no, I have no problem with Minnesota, we already got rid of one great girls program in UND. I for love watching the great games and great rivalries. Besides if Minnesota went away I would not have the privilege of reading another thousand of your posts!

Obviously not.

So wait, Now Wisconsin is selling their soul for banners?

But you will pretend that there are these facts, information, and specifics that just can't be talked about, right?

Just be honest and come out and say you've got a major bee in your bonnet about Minnesota.
              When I speak of being inappropriate, Shirley and TT where already named in the conversation. You want proof and proof often comes with Names. I would prefer not to use names because we are just talking hockey here and discussing a girls ACT or grades is not cool with me on the forum, and "winning" and agreement with pieholefrenzy is definitely not that important. I will give you this, trading banners for degrees was probably not a good choice of words. It is what I meant, but probably was not specific enough. When I said banners for degrees, I did not mean actually graduating and getting a degree. I meant how is Minnesota, Wisconsin and UMD out recruiting Harvard, Yale or even BC some very respected institutions to obtain a degree from? So in other words, trading winning (banners) rather than obtaining a degree from some of our nations most esteemed universities, in the business world (not hockey frenzy world).

With that I commented that I thought it was refreshing to stick admission standards. But now after reading your comments carefully. I have come to realize that Wisconsin probably just recruited the only 2 girls in women's hockey with poor grades or a bad ACT score.

And no, I have no problem with Minnesota, we already got rid of one great girls program in UND. I for love watching the great games and great rivalries. Besides if Minnesota went away I would not have the privilege of reading another 1,526 of your posts!
              Last edited by upfromtheminors; 07-11-2017, 04:16 PM.

Comment

When I speak of being inappropriate, Shirley and TT where already named in the conversation. You want proof and proof often comes with Names. I would prefer not to use names because we are just talking hockey here and discussing a girls ACT or grades is not cool with me on the forum, and "winning" and agreement with pieholefrenzy is definitely not that important. I will give you this, trading banners for degrees was probably not a good choice of words. It is what I meant, but probably was not specific enough. When I said banners for degrees, I did not mean actually graduating and getting a degree. I meant how is Minnesota, Wisconsin and UMD out recruiting Harvard, Yale or even BC some very respected institutions to obtain a degree from? So in other words, trading winning (banners) rather than obtaining a degree from some of our nations most esteemed universities, in the business world (not hockey frenzy world).

And no, I have no problem with Minnesota, we already got rid of one great girls program in UND. I for love watching the great games and great rivalries. Besides if Minnesota went away I would not have the privilege of reading another 1,526 of your posts!
                Don't know if you meant to type it that way but pieholefrenzy...That is actually pretty good...
                At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

My understanding is the U of MN is considered to be a substantially better school academically than it used to be. I suppose I care a little about that but mostly that's a topic for others!

These kids who have worked so hard on their hockey games taking the hockey program into account when they pick a school? Of course, and more power to them Although I think maybe somewhere in this discussion you said you didn't disapprove of that concept.

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
                    My understanding is the U of MN is considered to be a substantially better school academically than it used to be.
                    So instead of being a complete pile of garbage, it's now mostly a pile of garbage. Fantastic!

I can understand nowadays not necessarily visiting before committing with all the virtual tours and google earth things you can see before you commit. If it were me, I'd have to visit. More than anything a player is committing to the coach more than the school. If you are elite and want a shot at a title, you don't have too many choices, 3, maybe 4 at this point.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                      So instead of being a complete pile of garbage, it's now mostly a pile of garbage. Fantastic!

I can understand nowadays not necessarily visiting before committing with all the virtual tours and google earth things you can see before you commit. If it were me, I'd have to visit. More than anything a player is committing to the coach more than the school. If you are elite and want a shot at a title, you don't have too many choices, 3, maybe 4 at this point.
                      Who besides Gophers and Clarkson?
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        who besides gophers and clarkson?
                        lets go tech
                        Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                        And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                        WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                        If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          Who besides Gophers and Clarkson?
                          I was being generous and included BC and UW on the list. I'd hate to offend either of those fan bases.

Comment

You should have remained in the minors

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
                              My understanding is the U of MN is considered to be a substantially better school academically than it used to be.
                              don't let the college rankings fool you, the only thing that has changed is that they have made changes to make themselves look better in the areas that are part of the metrics of the rankings. Basically this has meant making it difficult for students to choose to be part time students which ruins a schools 5 year graduation rate. Basically they have put as many obstacles as possible in the way of a student being part time to encourage them to be full time. The other thing is being more selective to increase the average scores of incoming freshmen.
                              None of these changes necessarily make it a better school, in fact lowering the number of working adults could be seen as lowering it because they are more mature and bring their life experience and work experience to the classroom.

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                                don't let the college rankings fool you, the only thing that has changed is that they have made changes to make themselves look better in the areas that are part of the metrics of the rankings. Basically this has meant making it difficult for students to choose to be part time students which ruins a schools 5 year graduation rate. Basically they have put as many obstacles as possible in the way of a student being part time to encourage them to be full time. The other thing is being more selective to increase the average scores of incoming freshmen.
                                None of these changes necessarily make it a better school, in fact lowering the number of working adults could be seen as lowering it because they are more mature and bring their life experience and work experience to the classroom.
                                When I graduated from high school in the 1970s, any Minnesota student with a diploma could get into the General College, no matter their grades. The idea was that you take a kid who showed no motivation in HS, send them to the big city where the drinking age was 18 (or later, 19), throw them into the grinder and expect that they would suddenly blossom academically. Well, some did. If I'm not mistaken, that number was somewhere around 20 (22, if you include the 60s). Meanwhile, we were wasting tax dollars on these students who had no business going to college.

So, when they shut down the GC and raised the entrance requirements, they truly did attract a higher caliber of students. While they are not on the level of the Ivies academically, UM does not have to apologize for its educational opportunities. If you happen to be a player that can attract the interest of the Gophers' hockey program, you can get both an excellent education and a great college athletic experience. I would guess that you would be hard-pressed to find a recent GWH graduate who regrets her decision to go to UM (transfers to Bemidji notwithstanding).
                                Last edited by Leather helmet; 07-16-2017, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X