X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2017-2018

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    Looks like there is video on BSU's website that one can watch the games, hopefully it's free.

On Wisconsin!
    Definitely worth a try!
    Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
      Definitely worth a try!
      Only issue is trying to watch the men and women on the computer at the same time.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Only issue is trying to watch the men and women on the computer at the same time.
        I think it's $7.95 per game.

Comment

The Badgers weren't bad, exactly, but they were sloppy and loose with the puck; Campbell made up for it for a while, but it ultimately caught up to them. Bemidji played with energy, and almost pulled it out.

There was a drive by Shaver with eight or so minutes left in the third, when it "didn't matter all that much" that I thought certainly merited a review, but the refs disagreed.

Anybody know why Norby was out of the lineup?

Comment

Well, that was a shocking weekend. Not seeing either game I cannot comment much on what went wrong, though I'd say the circumstances of losing a 3 goal lead yet winning and overcoming a 1 goal deficit late to get to OT are certainly character builders. If Bemidji played like Mankato played the first 5 minutes of last Saturday I can see why UW had trouble.

Norby not making the trip also jumbled the lines a bit. Hopefully it's nothing serious.

Roque took 3 penalties in the 2nd period, yikes. She let's frustration get to her once and awhile.

Rowe got to shoot in the shootout and scored, not bad for a converted 7th D to wing.

St. Cloud took it to UMD this last weekend, UW better be ready.

I'd like to see the home/away stats splits. I'm beginning to formulate the thought that UW is not as good on the road as at home, maybe a trait of a young team and one that does not bode well during playoff time. Typically MJ teams are machines at home and on the road.

UW's box score on their website doesn't have a shots on goal by period or a shots on goal total on the main page, LAME.
            Last edited by Timothy A; 01-21-2018, 06:59 AM.

Comment

Roque took 3 penalties in the 2nd period, yikes. She let's frustration get to her once and awhile.

The first was a classic Roque penalty, where two skaters run into each other, Roque stays up because she's bigger and stronger on her skates, and the other player falls. So Roque gets a penalty. Should not have been called. The third was a 'trip' where she poked at the puck and the Bemidji player fell over. It was surprising that she could go down so easily, and you could see Roque essentially saying to the ref "I hardly touched her!" (One of the two refs was IMO the worst in the league, Gui Bradford, though he had a not horrible weekend; he made the call on the first one, I'm not sure who made the call on the third.) As weak a 'trip' as you could want to see. The second one, also a trip IIRC, I didn't see.

Generally, and with notable exceptions (Schneider filling in for Norby, and Shaver), they looked sluggish and a step slow. I would not be surprised to find out it is flu season in the Badger locker room.

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                The Badgers weren't bad, exactly, but they were sloppy and loose with the puck; Campbell made up for it for a while, but it ultimately caught up to them. Bemidji played with energy, and almost pulled it out.

There was a drive by Shaver with eight or so minutes left in the third, when it "didn't matter all that much" that I thought certainly merited a review, but the refs disagreed.

Anybody know why Norby was out of the lineup?
                The Beavers played with much more energy than the Badgers! It seems some of the Girls don't understand the need to play both ways! Not sure if that is a conditioning issue or to concerned about the O-Zone. Norby was sorely missed for that reason. She is full of energy & is extremely disruptive as is Shaver. Hopefully Norby is back this weekend from her tweaked knee from the Mankato series. Soupy had the flu but was still solid! 3 big weekends coming up...play hard or grab some bench!

Comment

Originally posted by Tool Shed View Post
                  The Beavers played with much more energy than the Badgers! It seems some of the Girls don't understand the need to play both ways! Not sure if that is a conditioning issue or to concerned about the O-Zone. Norby was sorely missed for that reason. She is full of energy & is extremely disruptive as is Shaver. Hopefully Norby is back this weekend from her tweaked knee from the Mankato series. Soupy had the flu but was still solid! 3 big weekends coming up...play hard or grab some bench!
                  Thanks for the insight. Feel free to toss more our way.

Comment

The women's hockey team home/away splits are amazing....both after 12 games....Home 4.50 gf - .58 ga / away 2.75 gf / 1.33 ga. I'd say that does not bode well for the wcha tourney or the ncaa's, but is indicative of a young team.

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                      I would not be surprised to find out it is flu season in the Badger locker room.
                      Very astute thought on your part.

Comment

Very astute thought on your part.
                        Please note that whenever a Badger goalie allows more than one goal in a game, she has the flu! Seems like we heard this last year when ARD allowed a few!

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
                          Please note that whenever a Badger goalie allows more than one goal in a game, she has the flu! Seems like we heard this last year when ARD allowed a few!
                          Please note that whenever the Gophers can't win games that they are "young". Even they they are older than the Badgers.

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
                            Well, it's a logical explanation for an uncharacteristic performance. I suppose the rodent goalies are sicker than having the flu, eh?

I did the home away splits from last year to compare to this year to either prove my idea that UW is struggling on the road is right or a bunch of dodo.

Home
                            2017 2018
                            GF 4.57 4.50
                            GA .63 .58

Away
                            2017 2018
                            GF 3.42 2.75
                            GA 1.04 1.33

The home numbers are pretty much right on, the away numbers are worse in both GF & GA, though the GF stands out at .75 goals per game less. I think a more talented and experienced team can battle through the quiet road games and keep the heat on the opponent, while both types of teams benefit from the raucous LaBahn crowd to pour it on. One thing to remember is that there are still at least 10 more games to go for a full season comparo.

Comment

Gophers only use the flu excuse when they allow four or more goals but man oh man, what a young team!

Comment

Originally posted by upfromtheminors View Post
                                Please note that whenever the Gophers can't win games that they are "young".
                                Minnesota isn't young, with or without quotes. However, it is obvious that Wisconsin is better than UM -- quite a bit better. What are some of the reasons for this? No matter what I put here, you could call them excuses. Brad Frost's job is to try to compete with the Wisconsin's of the world. You can have all of the excuses in the world, but the losses in the standings are still losses. That is how Frost's team will be judged, not by whether it is young or old.

Minnesota isn't very experienced up the middle. Three centers play. Piazza is a senior, with maybe two years of experience at center if you take away her games playing wing. Skarzynski is in her first season playing center, and Wente is a freshman. The team plays roughly 4 1/2 D. One senior, 1 1/2 sophomores, and two freshmen. Collectively, there are too many mistakes made, and coupled with inconsistent goaltending, too many goals allowed.

There are other issues. The team doesn't pass very well. It doesn't respond well to adversity and tends to give up goals in bunches. Added together, it hasn't shown an ability to challenge Ohio State, let alone Wisconsin.

It could be that they've all had the flu all year ...
                                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Working...
                                X