X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2017-2018

Originally posted by ARM View Post
    Early in the weekend, UM got behind the Wisconsin D a couple of times with homerun passes. By the end of the weekend, it was all the Gophers could do to get the puck deep somehow to change when they needed it. UM doesn't have enough offense right now to keep the Badgers honest, so UW can clamp down with a VERY aggressive forecheck and the Gophers couldn't do much about it.
    I disagree on this. That was certainly true for parts of the game today, but definitely not all, and definitely not all at the end. There were stretches where Minnesota did a good job of breaking that forecheck, but I'll discuss that more in the Gopher thread.

As for the Badgers, they're facing one of the same problems that Minnesota has over the last couple of years (though it's well down the list of Minnesota's problems right now): Mark Johnson hasn't adjusted his coaching to the players he has. Wisconsin skates really well and can control the puck forever, but they just don't generate chances. They're actually pretty good at finishing the chances they get, with some very nice shooting on the rare occasions they had good looks. Yesterday, their goals came when no Gopher was in the same zip code as Shaver to open the game, when Emily Brown and Patti Marshall had a miscommunication allowing Roque to make a fairly easy pass to Wellhausen who shot without anyone really contesting her, and a bad five hole goal. Today was more of the same: both Wisconsin goals came in transition, the first off a center ice faceoff when Lindsey Agnew and Marshall (I think) ran in to each other giving Mauermann and Cogan a 2-on-1 against a defenseman with only one working ankle, and the other in overtime when a Gopher D-man went the wrong way.

Beyond that, Wisconsin had a lot of offensive zone possession, sometimes for several minutes at a stretch, and accomplished very little with it. It isn't that they can't shoot; it looks more like they'd rather just keep the puck than try to generate scoring chances. They won't take any risks. Johnson's systems are extremely conservative, and it seems like he's still trying to coach as if he had a stable of otherworldly talent that can play that way and still get the puck to the net. When you watch them, they look like they're a lot better team than Minnesota, but they aren't really much better at actually winning games; I think the scores this weekend accurately reflect the narrowness of that gap. Johnson's going to have to loosen things up for this team to reach its potential.
    Last edited by Eeyore; 10-29-2017, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
      I disagree on this. That was certainly true for parts of the game today, but definitely not all, and definitely not all at the end. There were stretches where Minnesota did a good job of breaking that forecheck, but I'll discuss that more in the Gopher thread.

As for the Badgers, they're facing one of the same problems that Minnesota has over the last couple of years (though it's well down the list of Minnesota's problems right now): Mark Johnson hasn't adjusted his coaching to the players he has. Wisconsin skates really well and can control the puck forever, but they just don't generate chances. They're actually pretty good at finishing the chances they get, with some very nice shooting on the rare occasions they had good looks. Yesterday, their goals came when no Gopher was in the same zip code as Shaver to open the game, when Emily Brown and Patti Marshall had a miscommunication allowing Roque to make a fairly easy pass to Wellhausen who shot without anyone really contesting her, and a bad five hole goal. Today was more of the same: both Wisconsin goals came in transition, the first off a center ice faceoff when Lindsey Agnew and Marshall (I think) ran in to each other giving Mauermann and Cogan a 2-on-1 against a defenseman with only one working ankle, and the other in overtime when a Gopher D-man went the wrong way.

Beyond that, Wisconsin had a lot of offensive zone possession, sometimes for several minutes at a stretch, and accomplished very little with it. It isn't that they can't shoot; it looks more like they'd rather just keep the puck than try to generate scoring chances. They won't take any risks. Johnson's systems are extremely conservative, and it seems like he's still trying to coach as if he had a stable of otherworldly talent that can play that way and still get the puck to the net. When you watch them, they look like they're a lot better team than Minnesota, but they aren't really much better at actually winning games; I think the scores this weekend accurately reflect the narrowness of that gap. Johnson's going to have to loosen things up for this team to reach its potential.
      Two game diatribe to conclude Wisconsin is overrated and there is a "narrowness of the gap"? Pretty much everything I heard or read people were predicting a split, which would indicate the gap is already narrow. Minnesota had a great record coming in and pretty much always takes care of business in there own building. So I do agree with you on the gap, but pointing out W's weakness's to do so is silly. Both teams are young and have a lot of things to shore up. So I too will play this game. Minnesota getting swept at home, unacceptable! The crowd, even more unacceptable! The play, the D looked slow and lost many races to the puck. In addition, if they ventured outside the box they looked vulnerable. Which is probably looked why they stayed inside, which in turn limited W's scoring chances. M's offense will score a lot more when they make more than one pass in the offensive end. And since when can't this legendary program stay on their feet, I thought I had walked into the aquatic center.

Comment

Originally posted by upfromtheminors View Post
        Two game diatribe to conclude Wisconsin is overrated and there is a "narrowness of the gap"? Pretty much everything I heard or read people were predicting a split, which would indicate the gap is already narrow. Minnesota had a great record coming in and pretty much always takes care of business in there own building. So I do agree with you on the gap, but pointing out W's weakness's to do so is silly. Both teams are young and have a lot of things to shore up. So I too will play this game. Minnesota getting swept at home, unacceptable! The crowd, even more unacceptable! The play, the D looked slow and lost many races to the puck. In addition, if they ventured outside the box they looked vulnerable. Which is probably looked why they stayed inside, which in turn limited W's scoring chances. M's offense will score a lot more when they make more than one pass in the offensive end. And since when can't this legendary program stay on their feet, I thought I had walked into the aquatic center.
        I'm more than a little curious about what you feel the point of this board is. Eeyore made a well-reasoned post giving his opinion on what he saw. His opinion is that MJ is not coaching this team to its potential; you certainly may disagree with that, but then tell us why you think that way. If you feel what he posted is a diatribe, you really need to get out more.

If this board did become just a place where each team's boosters talk about the awesomeness of their own team, we wouldn't even have 17 people paying attention.

Comment

Originally posted by Leather helmet View Post
          I'm more than a little curious about what you feel the point of this board is. Eeyore made a well-reasoned post giving his opinion on what he saw. His opinion is that MJ is not coaching this team to its potential; you certainly may disagree with that, but then tell us why you think that way. If you feel what he posted is a diatribe, you really need to get out more.

If this board did become just a place where each team's boosters talk about the awesomeness of their own team, we wouldn't even have 17 people paying attention.
          First, what I think think board is for is extremely irrelevant. But, since you asked, I think it is to have serious conversations, gather information, boast, poke fun, antagonize, take a break, irritate, boast about our teams, point out the faults of other teams, and most important of all read pretentious long posts that grown men have done thousands of times. I did not think it was possible to post 3,000 times and take your self seriously.

I apologize for breaking any rules, I want to officially change my moniker to "fuelonthefireguy"

You want me to tell you why I think that way? Wait one second............................................ .................................ok, I'm ready. I had to go grab my smoking jacket and pipe. I too do not agree with many things MJ does, however, perhaps I could differ to you and have you give me your thoughts on how a 12-0 team that is full of freshman and sophomores that just swept Minnesota in it's own building is not being coached to it's potential? In addition, after watching Frost's interviews after both games he made it very clear that he was "VERY happy with where his team is at"

Last, Eeyore made the point that Wisconsin team this year is not living up to it's potential. With that statement I am assuming he feels Wisconsin has much more talent on their roster than Minnesota because if the Badgers were living up the their potential the score would have been much worse correct?

Comment

First, what I think think board is for is extremely irrelevant. But, since you asked, I think it is to have serious conversations, gather information, boast, poke fun, antagonize, take a break, irritate, boast about our teams, point out the faults of other teams, and most important of all read pretentious long posts that grown men have done thousands of times. I did not think it was possible to post 3,000 times and take your self seriously.

I apologize for breaking any rules, I want to officially change my moniker to "fuelonthefireguy"

You want me to tell you why I think that way? Wait one second............................................ .................................ok, I'm ready. I had to go grab my smoking jacket and pipe. I too do not agree with many things MJ does, however, perhaps I could differ to you and have you give me your thoughts on how a 12-0 team that is full of freshman and sophomores that just swept Minnesota in it's own building is not being coached to it's potential? In addition, after watching Frost's interviews after both games he made it very clear that he was "VERY happy with where his team is at"

Last, Eeyore made the point that Wisconsin team this year is not living up to it's potential. With that statement I am assuming he feels Wisconsin has much more talent on their roster than Minnesota because if the Badgers were living up the their potential the score would have been much worse correct?
            You just seem to be getting pretty worked up about this, is all. Nobody doubts that the Badgers are currently the top team. It seems likely that they will still be favorites come tournament time, but we can all hope our own teams will have something to say about that.

Personally, I have found that there is a direct correlation between number of posts someone has made, and the value of their contribution. This being my 200th post, I still have a ways to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Leather helmet View Post
              You just seem to be getting pretty worked up about this, is all. Nobody doubts that the Badgers are currently the top team. It seems likely that they will still be favorites come tournament time, but we can all hope our own teams will have something to say about that.

Personally, I have found that there is a direct correlation between number of posts someone has made, and the value of their contribution. This being my 200th post, I still have a ways to go.
              Not worked up. I may stir the pot once in awhile. I prefer the blog to read a little more like Mad Magazine than the Wall Street Journal!

Comment

12-0 is still 12-0. Not really sure how Coach Johnson can be questioned about his coaching style at all. Everyone out there knew going into the season that this team was going to be missing some huge parts due to both it being an Olympic year and to graduation. Nonetheless this team is about where last years team was in goals scored and pretty close in goals against after the same amount of games played. Are they a different team ?--yes. Do they still have many phases of their game that can be improved on ? - YES! This team does appear to have depth though. 4 different players scored the five goals this weekend against Minnesota. The young defensemen seem to be growing more confident each week. And Campbell in net has been really good. Everyone on the Minnesota thread keeps saying the Gophers are getting better and better week to week. If that's the case then I'll say the same for the Badgers. In the first game against Minnesota they were outshot 27-17. In the second game they outshot the Gophers 27-16 and dominated play for long stretches of time. That's an example of getting better game to game. And I'll take the wins while they are improving too, even if the style in which they win isn't to everyone's liking!
                Last edited by rangersrule; 10-30-2017, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rangersrule View Post
                  Everyone on the Minnesota thread keeps saying the Gophers are getting better and better week to week.
                  Most of those people will concede that Minnesota still has a long way to go. Did I think Wisconsin was better than Minnesota this weekend? Yes, definitely. Do I think that the Gophers can win the WCHA season? No, not even if we dropped the results and started the WCHA schedule over. Playing Minnesota used to be a measuring stick for Wisconsin, and I'm not sure that you can use the same scale this year. The Badgers are a very strong team defensively (the forwards in particular). Ohio State might give you some tough games, but you'll win the WCHA. The biggest flaw is one that has been there for several years now, and that is that UW's pressure and territorial domination don't always move the number on the scoreboard. It's a very safe bet that Wisconsin will be at the Frozen Four. However, a better Wisconsin team went down to the wire against BC last year, something I didn't expect at all. Unless the offensive efficiency improves, there is a risk that the bounce could go the other way come March. If I were a Wisconsin fan, that is what I'd take away from Eeyore's post.

Regarding Minnesota, making the NCAA Tournament at all is likely a good result for this bunch. As for sweeping them at home, Ohio State could have easily done the same, and the Buckeyes hadn't beaten us at all in 10 years. We're 1-4-1 at home. IMO, the Badgers should aim a little higher in 2017-18 than just beating the Gophers.
                  "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                  And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

I find it laughable that the Gophers find getting swept in their building is accepted because they are getting better every week! The Badgers have 15 Sophomore & Freshman players on their roster, Gophers 10. The Gophers have a Senior Goalie, Wisconsin has a Goalie that just transferred in (comfortable yet in her new surroundings?) and has played 2 games in the WCHA prior to this season! I could breakdown the rosters to further prove my point, but I am sick of typing. Give Johnson & the crew a little rope as well!

Comment

Originally posted by GopherBadger View Post
                      I find it laughable that the Gophers find getting swept in their building is accepted because they are getting better every week! The Badgers have 15 Sophomore & Freshman players on their roster, Gophers 10. The Gophers have a Senior Goalie, Wisconsin has a Goalie that just transferred in (comfortable yet in her new surroundings?) and has played 2 games in the WCHA prior to this season! I could breakdown the rosters to further prove my point, but I am sick of typing. Give Johnson & the crew a little rope as well!
                      Go ahead and laugh, but I think the reason some Gopher fans find getting swept by Wisconsin "acceptable because our team is getting better" is because our team isn't as good this year and we don't want to expect more out of them than they can do.

From my point of view, the criticism of Johnson was not very extreme could make for interesting conversation, but if Wisconsin fans were criticizing Brad Frost in the Gopher thread I wouldn't like it. I suppose even coaches like Mark Johnson aren't above criticism sometimes, but nobody is perfect and he's done a great job over the years. I have no interest in criticizing him in the Wisconsin thread, haha

Comment

It isn't a question of what is and isn't acceptable. It's a question, simply, of what is and what is not. What is not: right now, Minnesota is not a very good team, especially in transition defense. What is: the Gophers have been getting better, albeit in fits and starts, and there's a chance that they'll be pretty good by the end of the year, though you'd have to give me favorable odds to put money on them making it to the Frozen Four. What is: right now, Wisconsin is a better skating team that can keep the puck in the offensive zone for long stretches against a team like Minnesota. What is not: the Badgers are not very good at converting that possession dominance into scoring opportunities. What is not: this is not a new problem for Wisconsin; they weren't any good at turning all of that possession into scoring chances last year, either, though running up the score against bad teams (or good teams missing a lot of players) masked that problem.

If you think that you aren't going to have to play teams that are better defensively than Minnesota on your run to the national championship, then you're golden. Enjoy the title. I suspect that this assumption would be wrong, though, in which case Johnson is going to have to figure out a way to generate some offense. With the players he has right now, I don't think that's going to happen without being willing to take more risks than they were willing to this weekend, or than they were whenever I saw them last season.

Comment

It isn't a question of what is and isn't acceptable. It's a question, simply, of what is and what is not. What is not: right now, Minnesota is not a very good team, especially in transition defense. What is: the Gophers have been getting better, albeit in fits and starts, and there's a chance that they'll be pretty good by the end of the year, though you'd have to give me favorable odds to put money on them making it to the Frozen Four. What is: right now, Wisconsin is a better skating team that can keep the puck in the offensive zone for long stretches against a team like Minnesota. What is not: the Badgers are not very good at converting that possession dominance into scoring opportunities. What is not: this is not a new problem for Wisconsin; they weren't any good at turning all of that possession into scoring chances last year, either, though running up the score against bad teams (or good teams missing a lot of players) masked that problem.

If you think that you aren't going to have to play teams that are better defensively than Minnesota on your run to the national championship, then you're golden. Enjoy the title. I suspect that this assumption would be wrong, though, in which case Johnson is going to have to figure out a way to generate some offense. With the players he has right now, I don't think that's going to happen without being willing to take more risks than they were willing to this weekend, or than they were whenever I saw them last season.
                          What "risks" are you talking about? UW runs a pretty aggressive 2-1-2 for check system. Where on the ice should they be riskier? Should they send all 5 players below the dots in the offensive zone? I don't quite understand what you mean. I think most Badger fans understand that this team still has room for improvement in all aspects of the game. However, winning is still winning and don't think for a minute that having success doesn't build confidence especially early on in the season with a young team. It's fun to come to the rink each day and go to work on the "little things" when you are confident and successful. Not so much fun if you aren't having success despite "getting better". Wisconsin will be playing some tough opponents over the course of the season and I'm sure they will incur some losses along the way. Every so-called "favorite" team has flaws this year. I like where the Badgers are in that group of teams- despite their flaws.
                          Last edited by rangersrule; 10-31-2017, 09:06 AM.

Comment

I know I disagreed with you before and I am not picking a fight, nor defending Wisconsin. You try and make a point by talking hockey, transition, puck possession and converting opportunities, all while trying to make it sound like a college thesis. While doing this you have made small points and avoided the elephant in the room, winning games. This year there is a VERY good chance the NCAA's only take 2 teams, yet you have stated in multiple posts that you are very confident the Gophers get in. They have 4 losses and a tie through 12 games, leaving little room left for error with 2/3's of their season left. Meaning they would probably have to win the WCHA playoffs and get the auto bid.

On the other hand you are completely right about Wisconsin, they will have to score using their depth and create more chances. With that said, I do find it difficult to get scored on when the puck is in the other teams end. In addition, I have not figured out who the Gophers are going to lean on when they need goals as well. We may all be beating our chest, while the best team may reside in Columbus.

Been reading the Minnesota blog for many, many years. I think when dissecting a team you need to start with wins and losses and work backwards from there, I know that was their Mantra for years.
                            Last edited by upfromtheminors; 10-31-2017, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rangersrule View Post
                              What "risks" are you talking about? UW runs a pretty aggressive 2-1-2 for check system. Where on the ice should they be riskier? Should they send all 5 players below the dots in the offensive zone? I don't quite understand what you mean. I think most Badger fans understand that this team still has room for improvement in all aspects of the game. However, winning is still winning and don't think for a minute that having success doesn't build confidence especially early on in the season with a young team. It's fun to come to the rink each day and go to work on the "little things" when you are confident and successful. Not so much fun if you aren't having success despite "getting better". Wisconsin will be playing some tough opponents over the course of the season and I'm sure they will incur some losses along the way. Every so-called "favorite" team has flaws this year. I like where the Badgers are in that group of teams- despite their flaws.
                              I don't have any issues with the forecheck they run. Sometimes the "1" player stays too high against speedier opponents and they lose some down low battles (Like against UM in the past), but it's a small price to pay for playing great team D (though this team has really good speed to recover on the backcheck, so they could be more daring if they wanted to be). Once the puck is in the O zone opposing teams just collapse and allow them to move around the perimeter, but they are always looking for a pass to the middle/backdoor or a shot from the circles or the point. They are trying to score, they just aren't going to haphazardly force the puck into the middle.
                              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

This year there is a VERY good chance the NCAA's only take 2 teams, yet you have stated in multiple posts that you are very confident the Gophers get in.
                                You have me confused with someone else.

I think when dissecting a team you need to start with wins and losses and work backwards from there, I know that was their Mantra for years.
                                I have no idea who "their" is supposed to be referring to. It certainly isn't the coaching staff, who are adamantly process, rather than results, oriented whenever they talk publicly.
                                Last edited by Eeyore; 10-31-2017, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X