This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
    On the other hand, my sister, who got her doctorate from Wisconsin 15 years ago, joined me in Madison for the series three weeks ago. After the second game, she said, "The band played exactly one song all weekend that they weren't playing when I was here."
    Which could be an indictment against the current genre.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2017-2018

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
      It was a little nerve racking until the 1st goal, then I felt pretty good the way UW was playing. You hate to get into the 3rd period 0-0 while dominating your opponent, 1 lucky break and you lose. Roque made sure that would not be a problem.

Overall what a clamp down performance it was, just fantastic. Roque stepped it up today for sure, she had so many moments where she jumped out at you. I do believe the lack of tv timeouts played to UW's advantage.

My eyes still haven't stopped burning from seeing Goldy is person. I will say Goldy and the rodent band were better as far as being annoying to the opponent fans than their UW counterparts. Band vs band UW was better.
      I love UWs pep band. But you may have noticed they bring no woodwinds so they are much louder. I guess UW band has not gotten the word on 'naughty words' since they still say 'suck' during the sieve cheer. There is no crowd in women's hockey like the Badgers crowd. They really get rocking and rolling when the team is doing well. Most other places seem to be stuck in the thought that is girls instead of its hockey & are far too polite. However there were 4 (I assume inebriated) souls in front of us who hollered through most of the game. It sounded like they were organized cheers but there were too many words, their pronunciation was muffled and indistinct so they mostly seemed to be rambling. When they justifiably tried to harass Ludwig I doubt he could even hear them let alone make out whatever gibberish they were trying to spout. Crazy Dave could drown them all out by himself & make it clear his complaint.

Been going to college hockey games in person since the late 60s & it seems to me the bands, all bands, seem to rely on the same 7-8 things they have
      played for years. Something will pop up one year & an oldie will go away but not often

EDIT: I thanked the UW band last weekend for showing upo & told them how much I liked their work. They seemed genuinely surprised. - Maybe disappointed? Sadly I bet they are the only real band to show up this weekend. There are several "Knights" near Minneapolis but no "Buckeyes" so it is impossible to guess what, if any, shadow replacements will be in house.
      Last edited by ne7minder; 03-11-2018, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
        Sadly I bet [UW band] are the only real band to show up this weekend.
        Other years, there is stiff competition for the Pep Band's time and attention - men's hockey, basketball, etc. Sadly, this year women's hockey is the only game in town. Are you ready for 200 or so of them to appear?

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
          Are you ready for 200 or so of them to appear?
          The NCAA limits it to a pretty small band for women's hockey at the FF, even when the home team.
          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

I go to the men's Frozen Four every year (well, I missed Philly because we were opening a new hospital) and have been to one women's Frozen Four (Duluth). This year, since I'm retired, I am hitting up both the men's and women's, so that's two round trips to the Cities in three weeks.

Comment

I know we still have 2 games to play (hopefully) but I'm looking ahead to next year. Currently the roster shows 25 players which includes Pankowski and Clark. We only lose 3 seniors but in January it was announced 5 freshman will join the team next year including heralded recruits Sophie Shirley and Brita Curl. The team should be scary good, but I'm wondering how many scholarship players are we allowed to have? With a goaltender coming next fall that would make 5 goalies on the roster all juniors or younger. Are we expecting some attrition either from goalies or position players? Since Campbell played every minute of the season I'm assuming all 3 other goalies from this year could effectively redshirt if they all comeback?

Comment

Originally posted by Bonzo View Post
                I know we still have 2 games to play (hopefully) but I'm looking ahead to next year. Currently the roster shows 25 players which includes Pankowski and Clark. We only lose 3 seniors but in January it was announced 5 freshman will join the team next year including heralded recruits Sophie Shirley and Brita Curl. The team should be scary good, but I'm wondering how many scholarship players are we allowed to have? With a goaltender coming next fall that would make 5 goalies on the roster all juniors or younger. Are we expecting some attrition either from goalies or position players? Since Campbell played every minute of the season I'm assuming all 3 other goalies from this year could effectively redshirt if they all comeback?
                If I understand it correctly, a school has 18 scholarships, but those 18 can be divided up into 'partial' scholarships. So you could have 12 players on 'full scholarship', and another 12 on 'half scholarship', etc.

As for 'redshirts' and goalies: I don't know in hockey how 'dressing' but then not playing gets counted, or not counted.
                Last edited by robertearle; 03-11-2018, 01:18 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                  Other years, there is stiff competition for the Pep Band's time and attention - men's hockey, basketball, etc. Sadly, this year women's hockey is the only game in town. Are you ready for 200 or so of them to appear?
                  NC$$ limits bands to 20-some. That is a good reason to go all brass. In small spaces like Labahn small is probably required but I am sure they do it to limit costs

Comment

• Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                    If I understand it correctly, a school has 18 scholarships, but those 18 can be divided up into 'partial' scholarships. So you could have 12 players on 'full scholarship', and another 12 on 'half scholarship', etc.

As for 'redshirts' and goalies: I don't know in hockey how 'dressing' but then not playing gets counted, or not counted.
                    As long as they don't have a second of game time they can redshirt
                    Last edited by ne7minder; 03-11-2018, 08:08 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bonzo View Post
                      BTW - be very careful about crowing about having surplus talent on the Badgers thread. A couple years ago there was a lot of complaining about some team having recruited 1 more player than they had places for. Despite that team having run with depleted numbers for years. You might get accused of "stashing"

Comment

Originally posted by Bonzo View Post
                        Welcome to the board!

I love speculating about the future, harmless fun. I have lots of thoughts, but I'm going to talk goalie, my favorite subject. Right now the depth chart is Soup, Blesi, Cece, Baldwin (based on the line charts). I have no idea where Kronish fits in. First assumption is Kronish < Soup, a logical guess based on how crazy good Soup is. It makes sense to redshirt Kronish, you would want to have her be under Soup for the shortest possible time period (1 year). I think it would also make sense to RS Blesi to extend her out from under Soup another year (2 years), but if she's the #2, do you want to risk not having your 2 best goalies dressed in case of injury? It's pretty nuts that it went from looking like the Cece/Baldwin show to a 4/5 headed monster all in the matter of a few months. It will be fascinating to se how MJ handles this.

Tale of the tape:
                        Team D UW 1.19 Colgate 1.67
                        Team O Colgate 3.72 UW 3.32
                        Penalties UW 6.32 Colgate 8.62
                        PP Colgate 21% UW 18%
                        PK Colgate 90% UW 89%

Colgate has better special teams and scored more goals, UW has a better D.
                        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                          Sadly I bet they are the only real band to show up this weekend.
                          Clarkson's Pep Band will be split between Ridder and Lake Placid.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Interesting Forbes article about how "underpaid" Womens College Hockey Players are, specifically how Hillary Knight most underpaid player in the sports history in that she should have earned $775,000, based on a comparison of revenue vs. player pay in the NHL. Meghan Duggan was second would have earned $233k under the same analysis.

Of course, it's also comically inaccurate, because he appears to be using Mens Hockey Revenue or Mens/Womens combined for most of the schools. He claims the UW Womens program made $7M in revenue in 2012, and being that the Men's program only made $5.8M last year, that doesn't seem very likely.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidbe.../#34ac28ba55bc

Comment

Actually, after looking up the numbers, the problem isn't that he used the wrong numbers, it's that the numbers he used are extremely misleading. UW must have had to list the fundraising done for LaBahn as "revenue," and listed it as mostly for the Women's program. The Womens program's revenue spiked from 600k in 2010 to 2.3M in 2011 to 7.6M in 2012, then falling back down to 350k in 2013. (The mens programs revenue numbers also spiked from $5.3M to 6.7M to 12M and back to 4.5M in that same timeframe).

Comment

Originally posted by Nowheresville View Post
                                Actually, after looking up the numbers, the problem isn't that he used the wrong numbers, it's that the numbers he used are extremely misleading. UW must have had to list the fundraising done for LaBahn as "revenue," and listed it as mostly for the Women's program. The Womens program's revenue spiked from 600k in 2010 to 2.3M in 2011 to 7.6M in 2012, then falling back down to 350k in 2013. (The mens programs revenue numbers also spiked from $5.3M to 6.7M to 12M and back to 4.5M in that same timeframe).
                                He also calls Knight UW's best player in 2012. While that is certainly an arguable postition, Decker won the Kaz that year. So....

Comment

Working...
                                X