X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2017-2018

Originally posted by Leather helmet View Post
    When I graduated from high school in the 1970s, any Minnesota student with a diploma could get into the General College, no matter their grades. The idea was that you take a kid who showed no motivation in HS, send them to the big city where the drinking age was 18 (or later, 19), throw them into the grinder and expect that they would suddenly blossom academically. Well, some did. If I'm not mistaken, that number was somewhere around 20 (22, if you include the 60s). Meanwhile, we were wasting tax dollars on these students who had no business going to college.

So, when they shut down the GC and raised the entrance requirements, they truly did attract a higher caliber of students. While they are not on the level of the Ivies academically, UM does not have to apologize for its educational opportunities. If you happen to be a player that can attract the interest of the Gophers' hockey program, you can get both an excellent education and a great college athletic experience. I would guess that you would be hard-pressed to find a recent GWH graduate who regrets her decision to go to UM (transfers to Bemidji notwithstanding).
    true about general college, that was a good move getting rid of it, but I was referring to the student who came to the U, maybe got an internship and was offered a job and decided to go part time to school, or maybe got a job because they needed to work to pay bills. These students comprised a greater number of graduates than the traditional HS to full time student, which destroyed the U of MN in college rankings, thus they had to get rid of them.
    It is also true that Junior/Community college transfers had a higher success rate than the traditional students, many of these were also part time students and were older and thus more mature with more self disciple.

Sure, if your goal is to become a Supreme Court Judge or President, you better go to Harvard or Yale. But any other profession, especially if your goal is stay in the MN or WI, WI-Madison & MN-TC are as good as any school, in fact better than most.

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
      true about general college, that was a good move getting rid of it, but I was referring to the student who came to the U, maybe got an internship and was offered a job and decided to go part time to school, or maybe got a job because they needed to work to pay bills. These students comprised a greater number of graduates than the traditional HS to full time student, which destroyed the U of MN in college rankings, thus they had to get rid of them.
      It is also true that Junior/Community college transfers had a higher success rate than the traditional students, many of these were also part time students and were older and thus more mature with more self disciple.

Sure, if your goal is to become a Supreme Court Judge or President, you better go to Harvard or Yale. But any other profession, especially if your goal is stay in the MN or WI, WI-Madison & MN-TC are as good as any school, in fact better than most.
      Whew! Thank god I saw this! My son has been talking about trying to get into the Harvard Business school and my daughter wanted to get an IT degree from Princeton. Who knew they could just go down to dinky town and be better off?
      Last edited by upfromtheminors; 07-20-2017, 08:45 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by upfromtheminors View Post
        Whew! Thank god I saw this! My son has been talking about trying to get into the Harvard Business school and my daughter wanted to get an IT degree from Princeton. Who knew they could just go down to dinky town and be better off?
        You should really look at Clarkson.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by upfromtheminors View Post
          given intelligence is half hereditary, I suggest a community college for them

I'm not seeing any fill the bowl on Wisco's schedule, apparently they are going to sit on their record leaving them open to somebody having more people attend rather than the record for tickets sold

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            You should really look at Clarkson.
            The campus in Omaha is very picturesque...

http://www.clarksoncollege.edu/about/
            Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 07-20-2017, 10:17 AM.
            At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
              given intelligence is half hereditary, I suggest a community college for them

I'm not seeing any fill the bowl on Wisco's schedule, apparently they are going to sit on their record leaving them open to somebody having more people attend rather than the record for tickets sold
              Fill the bowl is every other year. Minnesota should have one at Marriucci after a football game and everyone could just walk over after. Oh wait, does the football team even get 15,000 at there games?
              https://***********/AxeWeek
              Last edited by upfromtheminors; 07-20-2017, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                The campus in Omaha is very picturesque...

http://www.clarksoncollege.edu/about/
                An even better picture of the campus.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/yDzKuxZK1D2Up1ya2
                Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
                  An even better picture of the campus.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/yDzKuxZK1D2Up1ya2
                  Very nice, and congrats on a title well deserved.
                  Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by D2D View Post
                    Very nice, and congrats on a title well deserved.
                    Not wanting to make the Gophers feel left out, here's something for them, too.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/OdEyL0oLIG0vthRu1
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      BADgers feel left out
                      Seems like an accurate edit...
                      At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Less than two months away before the first games of the season Badger fans! It should be a fun season with hopefully a lot of success. Any thoughts out there as to what possible line makeups might be, d-pairings, or goaltending? How about who the captains might be?? Let's get the ball rolling on some actual hockey talk as opposed to all this other meaningless banter!!

Comment

Still no roster on the team site? Same goes for Bemidji, OSU and Mankato. Are there last minute roster changes being made?

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
                            Still no roster on the team site? Same goes for Bemidji, OSU and Mankato. Are there last minute roster changes being made?
                            From what I can find online this appears to be the UW roster for 2017-2018 season. With Pankowski and Clark on their respective National teams and Shirley apparently not in the mix this season, it looks like 12 forwards, 7 defenseman, and 4 goalies.. I put together some possible lines/d-pairings as well! It seems that there will be quite a battle for the net with 4 goalies in the mix. I am no expert of course and the coaches know way more than any of us! I would love to see what others think too!

Kepler (LW) ..... Cogan (C)..... Norby (RW)
                            Wellhausen (LW)..... Roque (C)..... Shaver (RW)
                            Mauermann (LW)..... Pettet (C) ..... Schneider (RW)
                            Hanzlik (LW) ...... Drake (C) ....... Posick (RW)

Gardner (LD) .... Rolfes (RD)
                            Williams (LD .... Steffen (RD)
                            Bowlby (LD) ..... Buchbinder (RD)
                            Rowe (RD)

Campbell (G)
                            Blesi (G)
                            Cece (G)
                            Baldwin (G)
                            Last edited by rangersrule; 07-27-2017, 08:25 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by rangersrule View Post
                              From what I can find online this appears to be the UW roster for 2017-2018 season. With Pankowski and Clark on their respective National teams and Shirley apparently not in the mix this season, it looks like 12 forwards, 7 defenseman, and 4 goalies.. I put together some possible lines/d-pairings as well! It seems that there will be quite a battle for the net with 4 goalies in the mix. I am no expert of course and the coaches know way more than any of us! I would love to see what others think too!

Kepler (LW) ..... Cogan (C)..... Norby (RW)
                              Wellhausen (LW)..... Roque (C)..... Shaver (RW)
                              Mauermann (LW)..... Pettet (C) ..... Schneider (RW)
                              Hanzlik (LW) ...... Drake (C) ....... Posick (RW)

Gardner (LD) .... Rolfes (RD)
                              Williams (LD .... Steffen (RD)
                              Bowlby (LD) ..... Buchbinder (RD)
                              Rowe (RD)

Campbell (G)
                              Blesi (G)
                              Cece (G)
                              Baldwin (G)
                              4 goalies? Any chance the incoming freshman will redshirt?

Comment

Originally posted by Sieve1 View Post
                                4 goalies? Any chance the incoming freshman will redshirt?
                                After seeing the Gophers line up and now this I believe the WCHA is wide open for the first time in many years. With top players out and unproven goal tending we will see how good these coaches are without so many horses.

Comment

Working...
                                X