X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2017-2018

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    It's bummer to see playing careers end due to geography. I lament there is not a NWHL team in SE WI, I would like to see them play.
    There is no way you would enjoy one of these games. They do not have the budget to send a band.

Comment

Originally posted by upfromtheminors View Post
      There is no way you would enjoy one of these games. They do not have the budget to send a band.
      Well, I could live with it I guess.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Well, I could live with it I guess.
        China is investing significant dollars into the CWHL. They've entered 2 teams into the league for the upcoming season and apparently will be paying expenses for every North American team to fly there once per season to play. In a perfect world there would be 1 women's league and they could centralize marketing, sponsorships, scheduling, travel bookings, etc.

if you only had 1 professional league then you might be able to envision an East and a West conference.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
          Aren't the women the most successful team on campus?
          Cross country and track/field.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
            They and the volleyball team are powers, though VB hasn't won any NCAA hardware, they are a perennial ncaa top 10 team. The VB team probably averages 5000 in attendance per match, so they get the band for every game.
            Keep in mind that that's just the Sheffield era. I don't know what it was like in the early 2000s - I know there was a previous wave of success/support - but average attendance skyrocketed from a little below 3500 to selling out many matches per year. The selling out of games only started after that first final four appearance.

The band has always been a fixture, even before that. (Unfortunately, the team's popularity killed the student section that would stand next to it.)
            Last edited by WiscDC; 08-23-2017, 10:59 AM.

Comment

People who live on tunnels are so literal. You need more vitamin D. Or maybe not.
              they don't live in tunnels, it's a hole
              Vitamin D won't cure their problem
              excuse me for being so literal

Originally posted by GTOWN View Post

if you only had 1 professional league then you might be able to envision an East and a West conference.
              there is a fair chance there will only be one league, what is the likelihood any of the US players will play for the NWHL now that team USA is paying them? what are the chances anybody will play in that league, it isn't even a Canadian 80 cent dollar, it's maybe 50 cents for an NWHL dollar, maybe, it could be nothing.

Originally posted by upfromtheminors View Post

And last, the double edge sword that did so much good may be the end. The USA Women's team getting "paid" was an amazing thing for equality and women's rights, as well as a wonderful way to bring attention to the equality situation. However, in all honesty the WHL was an avenue for some girls to continue their hockey careers as well as keep themselves relevant in the USA player pool. I believe that many players will not choose the WHL moving forward, finding it difficult to compete with a select few that will get paid year round to train. Girls making 10K to play in the WHL will have to work, and I believe the main point of the USA team getting "paid" was so they did not have to work, making it almost impossible for a WHL player not in the player pool to compete. Thus weakening the league, creating a smaller player pool of talent and perhaps putting it in danger. I hope not, women's hockey has come a long way. I wish the could make 300K a year. With no sponsors and small attendance this may have the opposite effect of what everyone thinks. Time will tell.
              people objected to me saying during "the strike" that the strike was a result of the NWHL cutting their pay in half, but then most people around here object to the truth, so that is expected

the NWHL is dead
              Last edited by pokechecker; 08-23-2017, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Canadian players are playing in the CWHL and they get "paid". If its the top league in the world then the top players will want to play in it......

Comment

Originally posted by GTOWN View Post
                  Canadian players are playing in the CWHL and they get "paid". If its the top league in the world then the top players will want to play in it......
                  For the TOP American players, it depends on how much they're paid, and how that amount - net of the expenses they must assume - compares to what they know they'll earn as being part of the USA National Team. Even if the CWHL paid equally well, or even a little more, I would expect for these top players just the prestige of being part of the National Team - and the realistic hope of representing their country in the next Olympics - would be the deciding factor.
                  Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

The spreadsheet has been updated with Shirley moving to next season.
                    Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post

The spreadsheet has been updated with Shirley moving to next season.
                      My man Todd D got the info Badger fans were dying to know. Way to go Todd.

At what point do you move Clark and Pankowski out of this year as Sr's and put them in next year as Sr's?

Comment

My man Todd D got the info Badger fans were dying to know. Way to go Todd.

At what point do you move Clark and Pankowski out of this year as Sr's and put them in next year as Sr's?
                        I was kind of waiting for them to remove them from the roster page, since they still show up there. Maybe they won't remove them and just have them as Seniors for both seasons... ?
                        Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

On Shirley's deal, that is a huge blow to this year's team, as Todd stated UW is missing 60% of their scoring from last year. This year may just be a year to get the young D's and G's seasoned for the undefeated run next year.

Comment

This year may just be a year to get the young D's and G's seasoned for the undefeated run next year.
                            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Undefeated run next year.
                              Could be...Unless they have to face the fighting nurses from Omaha.
                              At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

On Shirley's deal, that is a huge blow to this year's team, as Todd stated UW is missing 60% of their scoring from last year. This year may just be a year to get the young D's and G's seasoned for the undefeated run next year.
                                Hasn't this news about Shirley been out for a while? Not sure why some people are in such a panic mode and so negative about this upcoming season. Sure we lose a good chunk of our scoring but, so do most of the top teams. UW still returns 4 players that had 20 or more points last season (5 if you count what Kepler did the season before.) That's by far more scoring than anyone else in the WCHA. Our biggest rival UM returns no players that had at least 20 points! And from what I hear the new transfer UW goalie from North Dakota (Campbell) is the real deal. I for one believe this team will still be able to compete with anyone. Let's see this seasons team play before we worry about an "undefeated run next year"!!
                                Last edited by rangersrule; 08-25-2017, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X