X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2017-2018

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    Rowe was on the 2nd line Saturday and scored. Not too shabby for a 7th D.

Friday's game was a nightmare. UW was allowing Kato to transition them into the O zone like UW was afraid of them. It was ridiculous. Neither team had a lot of sustained pressure, but it was a transition game. UW was not connecting on their breakout with either poor passes or passes that were too long that allowed Kato to intercept or breakup. Thankfully Kato puked up 2 pucks in the slot that Norby and Shaver converted on, and Soup made a HUGE save with 5 seconds to go on the PK after Gardiner takes a boneheaded penalty with 16 to go. That was an epic escape win. The game left me wondering how good UW really was if they couldn't handle Kato, who look to be an improved team.

Saturday my questions were answered. UW controlled long stretches territorially, broke out easily and disrupted Kato's transition to O. A very nice bounce back performance.

UW faces a tough test this upcoming weekend with BSU coming to town. I like out UW's schedule is progressing with tougher opponents each week....Kato, then BSU, then UM, then OSU.
    Good assessment. You just cant make mistakes like that in the slot against a good team like W and expect to defend. Soup is solid but Kato was able to expose her a little on Friday but she made a monster save at the end of the game. I also agree Mankato is vastly improved and will continue on that path. Like you see from some other posts as well as a quote from Frost, Parody in the WCHA is quickly approaching. I still believe it is the strongest and will remain that for years to come. I am sure everyone would agree one or two goal games are much better to watch than the 7-0 games in the past!

Comment

Originally posted by agfire View Post
      ... Parody in the WCHA is quickly approaching. I still believe it is the strongest and will remain that for years to come.
      Nothing that I've seen thus far leads me to believe that the WCHA is better than the ECAC this year.
      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
        Nothing that I've seen thus far leads me to believe that the WCHA is better than the ECAC this year.
        I agree! I was at both WI/Mankato games and did not feel like there was an overwhelming amount of talent on the WI side that was simply players being overconfident. Offensive maneuvers across all lines seem to be a challenge. Yes, we outshot Mankato, but I never felt like we were in control of the game until 3rd period of both games. Granted, I have not seen any of the east coast teams play yet, but I'm not confident in that number 1 rating in the least...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
          The WCHA has a few overrated teams this year. Minnesota, UMD, and one that might be sacrilegious to mention.
          UW is #1 almost be default of their record and where they finished last year. I don't have any problems with them not being rated #1. I have not seen a UW team play as bad as they played Friday. They haven't really played anyone hard yet and they are a young team missing 3 difference makers. Without those 3 I'd say they only have 1 difference maker, Roque. If this team played last year's team 10 times, I don't see this year's team winning a game. The wwcha is definitely over-rated. I haven't seen OSU yet, so I don't have any idea how good they really are. They beat an underperforming UM team and an hugely over-rated UMD team.
          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

I would say parity has hit the WCHA with it being an Olympic year and the so called "difference makers" all missing in action. Great to see OSU doing so well, would say coaching stability and some excellent freshman have made a big difference and the front leaders for the last number of years have come back to the pack and other Divisions in Div 1 hockey.
            UW is #1 almost be default of their record and where they finished last year. I don't have any problems with them not being rated #1. I have not seen a UW team play as bad as they played Friday. They haven't really played anyone hard yet and they are a young team missing 3 difference makers. Without those 3 I'd say they only have 1 difference maker, Roque. If this team played last year's team 10 times, I don't see this year's team winning a game. The wwcha is definitely over-rated. I haven't seen OSU yet, so I don't have any idea how good they really are. They beat an underperforming UM team and an hugely over-rated UMD team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
              Just curious, how many UMD games have you watched in order to make your assessment?

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                Just curious, how many UMD games have you watched in order to make your assessment?
                ZEEro. Just going off of what they had lost over last year and where they were finished last year, like most other posters are doing. They were gutted scoring-wise and lost a top notch goalie. So far the results bear my thoughts out to be true. If they were that good, how do you go 0-4 against teams ranked right around you? A 2-2 record would justify the ranking, not 0-4. It's a fascinating match-up against the rodents this weekend. Can UMD or UM prove they deserve to be in the top 10?

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                  Can UMD or UM prove they deserve to be in the top 10?
                  As opposed to the gauntlet that WI has gone through thus far?

Comment

• Originally posted by Pens4 View Post
                    Touche!

Comment

Originally posted by Pens4 View Post
                      As I have stated before, I have no problem if anyone wants to rank UW not 1. You can certainly make that case. They haven't played anyone and looked like crap Friday, but having a super young team with 2 transfers also playing for the first time and not stumble is saying something. I am going a little homer making UW 1, but there are 9 other non-UW fans also making them #1. BC has only played 2 games so far, if they had a bigger resume, I would possibly rank them 1.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                        I find it odd someone would get defensive about UMD and even odder that Wisconsins ranking is inaccurate? As Fellmet said, based on last years finish and starting this season 8-0, where else would you put them? As far as UMD goes, going 0-4 in the last two weekends does not exactly demand respect either and I am guessing they are looking down the barrel of 0-6. HOWEVER, I too do not believe Wisconsin is a #1 team and will soon take a few lumps. With that said, if they go 0-4 the next two weeks, I will not be asking fans "how many games have you seen".

Comment

Originally posted by Pens4 View Post
                          Wow, you went from wearing green underwear to red in a hurry!

Comment

ZEEro. Just going off of what they had lost over last year and where they were finished last year, like most other posters are doing. They were gutted scoring-wise and lost a top notch goalie. So far the results bear my thoughts out to be true. If they were that good, how do you go 0-4 against teams ranked right around you? A 2-2 record would justify the ranking, not 0-4. It's a fascinating match-up against the rodents this weekend. Can UMD or UM prove they deserve to be in the top 10?
                            The thing is, if UMD is "overrated", then by extension, somebody else has to be underrated. Which other teams out there do you think would definitely win a game or two on the road against BC and OSU?
                            Originally posted by dicaslover
                            Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                            Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                              The thing is, if UMD is "overrated", then by extension, somebody else has to be underrated. Which other teams out there do you think would definitely win a game or two on the road against BC and OSU?
                              Maybe ranking teams as early as October is silly and pointless, and should just generally be ignored?

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                                Maybe arguing about the ranking of teams as early as October is silly and pointless, and should just generally be ignored?
                                yes

if UMD wins a game this weekend, they belong in the ranking, if they win two, MN doesn't
                                Last edited by pokechecker; 10-17-2017, 10:11 AM. Reason: and for people who cannot connect the dots, if they don't win any, they don't

Comment

Working...
                                X