X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2017-2018

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post

I have no idea who "their" is supposed to be referring to. It certainly isn't the coaching staff, who are adamantly process, rather than results, oriented whenever they talk publicly.
    Said every coach, in every sport, in every public statement ever. And if you have no idea who "their" is, what coaching staff are you referring to?

My fault on the Frozen Four comment, cast an arrow at the wrong person.
    Last edited by upfromtheminors; 10-31-2017, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by upfromtheminors View Post
      Said every coach, in every sport, in every public statement ever. And if you have no idea who "their" is, what coaching staff are you referring to?
      If you are attributing that sentiment to Brad Frost, you are simply wrong. I have actually listened to him, and his assistants, talk. It's pretty much always process first.

Comment

Originally posted by upfromtheminors View Post
        Said every coach, in every sport, in every public statement ever.
        This short video does a good job of explaining Brad Frost's philosophy -- you can have a successful season even if you don't win the National Championship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcul2-4UwuA

Comment

Originally posted by rangersrule View Post
          What "risks" are you talking about? UW runs a pretty aggressive 2-1-2 for check system. Where on the ice should they be riskier? Should they send all 5 players below the dots in the offensive zone? I don't quite understand what you mean.
          That forecheck is fantastic. I love watching it in action, though I love it a lot more when you aren't playing the Gophers. But the purpose of a forecheck is to get the puck back from your opponent. Except in rare instances, a successful forecheck does not lead directly to scoring chances. It's what you do with the puck after getting it back that can do that.

What I see the Badgers doing with it, much like what they do when they bring it into the offensive zone without a numbers advantage, is to set up and start moving the puck around the perimeter. And they keep moving it around the perimeter. Timothy says that they shouldn't ". . . haphazardly force the puck into the middle," but I mostly see them not moving the puck into the middle at all. "Forcing" the puck into the middle isn't a dichotomy, either forcing it or not. It's a matter of risk tolerance. There's always risk involved in getting the puck into dangerous areas; it can easily produce a turnover and go the other way. The question is how much risk is a team willing to accept in order to generate scoring chances.

For Wisconsin, answer is, "Almost none." So they keep moving the puck around the perimeter, looking for that perfect opening. Minnesota has a much higher risk tolerance, born in part out of the fact that they had so much team speed that they could backcheck off those turnovers and prevent the other team from getting into the offensive zone. This is a part of the reason the Gophers have been giving up so many odd man rushes the last several years; they might want to think about being less aggressive.

This system worked great for Wisconsin when they had players like Decker and Knight, who had the ability to find those perfect openings and the talent to create them where others couldn't. It worked pretty well with Turnbull and Ammerman. Starting sometime late last fall, it stopped working well at all. I would have thought that Pankowski and Nurse and Clark were enough to keep it going, but that's not the way it turned out. This year's team looks like last year's, but more so. I don't think they'll be able to score enough to succeed against better teams playing this way.

According to the ratings systems, Minnesota is by far the best team you've played so far, and Minnesota isn't good (though KRACH seems fooled so far). By both KRACH and RPI, Wisconsin's ten other games have been against 5 of the 12 lowest rated teams in Division 1. You're going to destroy those kinds of teams, but if last year is any guide, that isn't going to mean much. I'm very interested to see how you do against Ohio State this week.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
            According to the ratings systems, Minnesota is by far the best team you've played so far, and Minnesota isn't good (though KRACH seems fooled so far). By both KRACH and RPI, Wisconsin's ten other games have been against 5 of the 12 lowest rated teams in Division 1. You're going to destroy those kinds of teams, but if last year is any guide, that isn't going to mean much. I'm very interested to see how you do against Ohio State this week.
            I agree. UW has a young/new team with most players playing in new roles on the team. I think their schedule has been very kind to them, but they no control over that. The fact they barely beat the worst rodent team in, well possibly ever, doesn't say a whole lot. The OSU series will be fascinating as they may be playing the best OSU team ever, but what is that really saying?

I've never seen a UW team play as bad as this one has for long stretches of games, but they find a way to get it done, which is very encouraging. It's great that they don't depend on a few players to get it done, but each player on the team knows THEY can be THAT player to get it done that game. As the season goes on, the thing I want to see is that those bad stretches get less and less, that will show they are getting better as a team.
            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
              I've never seen a UW team play as bad as this one has for long stretches of games, but they find a way to get it done, which is very encouraging. It's great that they don't depend on a few players to get it done, but each player on the team knows THEY can be THAT player to get it done that game. As the season goes on, the thing I want to see is that those bad stretches get less and less, that will show they are getting better as a team.

For what it's worth, I don't think there were even medium stretches of the series in Minneapolis during which the Badgers played badly. I thought they played really, really well in systems that aren't optimal for their long term success.

Comment

I agree. UW has a young/new team with most players playing in new roles on the team. I think their schedule has been very kind to them, but they no control over that. The fact they barely beat the worst rodent team in, well possibly ever, doesn't say a whole lot. The OSU series will be fascinating as they may be playing the best OSU team ever, but what is that really saying?

I would disagree on the Gophers being the worst team ever. Goaltending is an issue & they will find a way to make it to the Tournament.
                As far as your takes on the Badgers this year...I would suggest you stay home for the remainder of the season & watch tapes of last year's team! It is a work in progress but the TEAM play I have seen is better this year than I have seen in the past! Pankowski & Clark will be back in September!

Comment

Originally posted by GopherBadger View Post
                  As far as your takes on the Badgers this year...I would suggest you stay home for the remainder of the season & watch tapes of last year's team! It is a work in progress but the TEAM play I have seen is better this year than I have seen in the past! Pankowski & Clark will be back in September!
                  I agree that this team is more selfless with the puck, but the big doggettes being selfish in the past was not a huge contributor to problematic results.

Tale of the tape....

Team O.......OSU 3.75 / UW 3.58
                  Team D......UW 1.00 / OSU 1.38
                  PP..............UW 23% / OSU 19%
                  PK..............OSU 89% / UW 82%
                  Pen/game...OSU 7 / UW8

Neither team has a shorty yet.

The big difference is that OSU allows 28 shots/game, whereas UW allows 18. Both average 34 shots/game. If UW can suppress OSU's shots to what they allow and if UW average what OSU allows, UW is likely to sweep. Both teams have played a similar rather easy schedule to this point.

Comment

FYI for all: because (I guess) of men's hockey Sat night and men's BB Sunday, parking in Lot 91 is not free this weekend; $5 each day.

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                      FYI for all: because (I guess) of men's hockey Sat night and men's BB Sunday, parking in Lot 91 is not free this weekend; $5 each day.
                      Thanks for the update, I was wondering about that.

Comment

I agree that this team is more selfless with the puck, but the big doggettes being selfish in the past was not a huge contributor to problematic results.

Tale of the tape....

Team O.......OSU 3.75 / UW 3.58
                        Team D......UW 1.00 / OSU 1.38
                        PP..............UW 23% / OSU 19%
                        PK..............OSU 89% / UW 82%
                        Pen/game...OSU 7 / UW8

Neither team has a shorty yet.

The big difference is that OSU allows 28 shots/game, whereas UW allows 18. Both average 34 shots/game. If UW can suppress OSU's shots to what they allow and if UW average what OSU allows, UW is likely to sweep. Both teams have played a similar rather easy schedule to this point.
                        So the score for both games should be 1.38 to 1!

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
                          So the score for both games should be 1.38 to 1!
                          Eh hem actually the GRaNT model score projection is 2.52 to 2.06 *pushes glasses up nose*

https://www.bcinterruption.com/bosto...puter-rankings
                          Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                          Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                          Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Watching the Final Four from a distance the past 2 years I recall the "BIG DOGGETTES" from WI were pretty quiet in each of the Final Fours compared to the Biggies of the Gophers in past Championship years. Can u dig out the facts for me? In the Final Four last year, puck movement disappeared along with the hopes of a Championship.

Comment

It got awful dark in here with all that SHADE
                              Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                              Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                              Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                                It got awful dark in here with all that SHADE
                                Badgers are nocturnal so keep on "throwing shade"...
                                At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Working...
                                X