Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Wisconsin Badgers 2017-2018

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    At some point I would like to re-watch the game. I hated my seats at the game but the kids like to sit low behind the net so I did. The replays were for **** at the game too. I really have little idea how the flow of the game went and the types of chances generated by both teams.
    I can't find it on BTN2Go.

Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2017-2018

Wisconsin carried the play overall, which was reflected in the shot totals and specifically, Sarah Nurse was not able to capitalize on some outstanding changes to put the puck in the net because... Shea Tiley was the best player on the ice for both teams.

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    I can't find it on BTN2Go.
    The National Championship game is there, but again, you have to sign on through your BTN provider.

https://www.btn2go.com/game/womens-f...r-championship

Quote Originally Posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    Wisconsin carried the play overall, which was reflected in the shot totals and specifically, Sarah Nurse was not able to capitalize on some outstanding changes to put the puck in the net because... Shea Tiley was the best player on the ice for both teams.
    Also, that was Sarah Nurse in a nutshell. Scary as can be, a great player, but could not get the puck in the net like you want a really great player to be able to do. I.E. Brandt or Pankowski or such.

I'm not criticizing her, because she was the scariest Badger of all to me the last four years and I hate to think what if...if she finished more of her chances

Let's go RED!

Quote Originally Posted by KTDC View Post
    Also, that was Sarah Nurse in a nutshell. Scary as can be, a great player, but could not get the puck in the net like you want a really great player to be able to do. I.E. Brandt or Pankowski or such.

I'm not criticizing her, because she was the scariest Badger of all to me the last four years and I hate to think what if...if she finished more of her chances
    Undefeated champions for sure last year, eh? She had always perplexed me with her "lack" of scoring. Scoring on that breakaway against Clarkson could have changed that game. Oh well.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Scoring on that breakaway against Clarkson could have changed that game.
    I believe if I'm remembering it (and seeing it) correctly in the highlight she didn't even get the shot on net. Agreed, scoring there, could have been enough to have planted a bit of doubt in Tiley's mind.

Let's go RED!

Forward Maddie Wheeler commits for 2020/2021.

Sad Panda
    My Body is in Georgia. My Heart will always be in Wisconsin

Forward Maddie Wheeler commits for 2020/2021.
    Updated.

Thanks.

An October 2002 birth date... Announcing a verbal commitment to a college at 14 years old.

This insanity has to be the result of Russian hacking, right?

Let's go RED!

Quote Originally Posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    An October 2002 birth date... Announcing a verbal commitment to a college at 14 years old.

This insanity has to be the result of Russian hacking, right?
    That's one heck of a recruiting class...Webster, O'Brien and Wheeler.

Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GopherBadger View Post
    http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w...120416aaa.html

They couldn't get out of the building fast enough!
    IMO, that game and the UW blowout of UMD really highlight the mystery of the 2016-17 Badgers. They could be the #1 team in the country for long stretches with nobody really that close as the second team. But neither of those games were part of series sweeps. They would let teams that weren't as good hang around in games like at the WCHA Final Face-Off.

What was the issue? I'd say it was that even though they had a great offense statistically, the best offensive threats didn't rise to the challenge in the way that Bauer, Duggan, Knight, or Decker would. The special players have a knack for being able to score when the team most needs it. It's hard to win a championship without at least one player and better two who can produce on demand. Instead, the Badgers were best when their depth could tire teams out and scoring could come from many people.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Let's go RED!

Quote Originally Posted by ARM View Post
    IMO, that game and the UW blowout of UMD really highlight the mystery of the 2016-17 Badgers. They could be the #1 team in the country for long stretches with nobody really that close as the second team. But neither of those games were part of series sweeps. They would let teams that weren't as good hang around in games like at the WCHA Final Face-Off.

What was the issue? I'd say it was that even though they had a great offense statistically, the best offensive threats didn't rise to the challenge in the way that Bauer, Duggan, Knight, or Decker would. The special players have a knack for being able to score when the team most needs it. It's hard to win a championship without at least one player and better two who can produce on demand. Instead, the Badgers were best when their depth could tire teams out and scoring could come from many people.
    I agree 100%, though even Knight/Duggan/ lost in the ncaa's, the point is vaild. Nurse, Clark and Pankowski needed to make it happen and they did not. I can't wait to see who the next stars are for UW and if they have the "it" factor.

I agree 100%, though even Knight/Duggan/ lost in the ncaa's, the point is vaild. Nurse, Clark and Pankowski needed to make it happen and they did not. I can't wait to see who the next stars are for UW and if they have the "it" factor.
    Clark and Pankowski have another shot at it while Nurse doesn't. The 2016-17 Badgers were a great team but when it really mattered they couldn't get it done.

What was the issue?
    I'll go beyond what you said, and state that Wisconsin's offense just wasn't very good. The two blowouts you mentioned came against Minnesota and UMD teams that were far below their optimum level due to injuries, Olympic qualifying, and a psychological meltdown. Aside from those two games and the WCHA final victory over a UMD team that played double overtime the night before, after Dec 1 they had exactly one game against a team with a winning record in which they scored more than 1 goal: the NCAA quarterfinal against Robert Morris. They averaged just over 2 goals a game against a North Dakota team that was almost .500 and was desperate to give the Badgers a 60 minute power play.

They ran up the score against hopelessly overmatched teams. It's odd, because usually the ability to do that correlates with an ability to score against good teams, but not in this case. I don't think it's a case where you had good offensive players who just couldn't score on demand, because they didn't score at all against good teams unless they had some sort of advantage external to their own actions. I have no idea why a bunch of players who had been good at scoring in the past forgot how to be good, but they did.

Let's go RED!

Quote Originally Posted by Eeyore View Post
    I'll go beyond what you said, and state that Wisconsin's offense just wasn't very good. The two blowouts you mentioned came against Minnesota and UMD teams that were far below their optimum level due to injuries, Olympic qualifying, and a psychological meltdown. Aside from those two games and the WCHA final victory over a UMD team that played double overtime the night before, after Dec 1 they had exactly one game against a team with a winning record in which they scored more than 1 goal: the NCAA quarterfinal against Robert Morris.
    They ran up the score against hopelessly overmatched teams. It's odd, because usually the ability to do that correlates with an ability to score against good teams, but not in this case.
    No matter what UW's injuries/missing players have been, they have never been embarrassed like the rodents were on the Sunday. The excuse-O=meter just blew up. UMD was a 2 trick pony and that doesn't fly in the face of a deep team and/or when you are missing a pony.

You are missing the obvious answer to the lack of scoring against good teams......good teams have better players and therefore it's harder to score on them. A great team whoops the wimps and beats or even loses to the tough opponents in hard fought games. That's what UW did.

No matter what UW's injuries/missing players have been, they have never been embarrassed like the rodents were on the Sunday. The excuse-O=meter just blew up. UMD was a 2 trick pony and that doesn't fly in the face of a deep team and/or when you are missing a pony.

You are missing the obvious answer to the lack of scoring against good teams......good teams have better players and therefore it's harder to score on them. A great team whoops the wimps and beats or even loses to the tough opponents in hard fought games. That's what UW did.
    UMD was more than a 2-trick pony, but the tricks you are thinking of, plus four other players, were missing when you blew them out, so you don't actually have any idea whether it would work against a good team. As for the Gophers, you misunderstand. I'm not making excuses; they melted down and it took almost two months for them to right the ship. That's on them. But, from the Badgers' perspective, beating them 8-2 wasn't as impressive as it looks, because Minnesota wasn't actually a good team at that point.

Yes, you score less against good teams. But, if you can't ever score more than one goal against them without a significant handicap in your favor, it means that your offense isn't good. Wisconsin's offense wasn't good, unless you think beating up on teams with sub .400 records is the mark of quality.

Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar

Last year the Badgers had 8 games where they scored less than twice. That's a high total for a great team, especially a great team that features a powerful offense. When the Gophers started their winning streak in 2012, they went the next 99 games scoring two or more goals. As superb as Wisconsin was defensively, it is harder to post Ws if you need to shut the other team out to have a chance to do so. None of Minnesota's NCAA Championship teams had a year where they had more than four games where they scored fewer than two goals.

I disagree with Eeyore, in that I think that Wisconsin had the pieces to be great offensively. Ultimately, the Badgers weren't great in the offensive end, but I'm still not sure why they weren't. At least Nurse was always visible, making things happen -- she just didn't put enough of her prime chances on net to rack up points at the rate that her talent suggested she should. Much lesser players than Nurse have finished with more than 137 points in a career. Pankowski can snipe as well as anyone, but she seems to disappear at times, and I have no idea why that is. The rest of the team put a lot of shots on goal, but I couldn't tell if they were shooting to score or just shooting for the sake of shooting.

Last season wasn't an isolated problem. Wisconsin has had trouble finishing for a number of years. It just stood out more last year because the talent level at forward looked to be higher than it has been in a while, and the Badgers dominated play so much of the time, yet managed to hit so many scoring droughts.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

The rest of the team put a lot of shots on goal, but I couldn't tell if they were shooting to score or just shooting for the sake of shooting.
    A problem shared by one other team I can think of, unfortunately.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

I disagree with Eeyore, in that I think that Wisconsin had the pieces to be great offensively.
    I think we're mostly on the same page. I agree that, on paper, they ought to have had a good offense. The Badgers had a goodly number of players who had been quality scorers in previous seasons. In practice, though, it was not a good offense. I have no idea why, and I think we're mostly disagreeing on semantics.

The one part where I disagree is that it didn't surprise me at all that Nurse didn't pick up a lot of goals. From her freshman year, she struck me as one of those players who, if only she could shoot, would have been a Hall of Famer. She does everything else well, including mesmerizing speed. But she never had much of a shot, and that's the kind of player whose numbers we would expect to fall off if her teammates' scoring goes south, because she's a complementary player. A ****ed good one, but a complementary player nonetheless. There's a reason a good shot is a coach's most coveted ability: it's both critically important, and rare.

Let's go RED!

Last season wasn't an isolated problem. Wisconsin has had trouble finishing for a number of years. It just stood out more last year because the talent level at forward looked to be higher than it has been in a while, and the Badgers dominated play so much of the time, yet managed to hit so many scoring droughts.
    As you all know, I my knowledge is deficient in many ways , including hockey X's & O's, but from that point of view are the systems that MJ runs too offensively conservative? I can recall many times wondering why the 3rd player on the forecheck didn't go create a 3 on 2 in the corner or behind the net to gain possession when it was 2 on 2. I especially recall the 3rd player staying high against the rodents.

Thread Information