Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Wisconsin Badgers 2017-2018

Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2017-2018

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Only 8-0. Biggest news is Cece is hurt and has not been on the ice at all during the preseason activities, what a bummer o rama. Each goalie played 1 period, nothing can be gleaned from what I saw in their performances due to the S Korean team's abilities and MJ said not to read into the order in which they played; Campbell-Baldwin-Blesi.

The puck was in the S Korean zone 80% of the time (15% neutral zone, 5% UW zone), so it was hard to see breakout creativity or who has some neutral zone speed. S Korea did a good job not getting beat one on one. UW ran their typical fore-check where they cycle low along the board and either pass through the slot or the F goes up high and trades the puck and position with the D and they rocket down low to try and make something happen.

What stood out to me.......Pettet has some wheels, Hanzlik gets in the right spot but her hands may not be quick enough yet to finish, Steffen is so decisive, Posick's played physically like an upper classman, Shaver was faster. I'm a little bummed it wasn't a tougher test to learn more about the players.

Lines:
    Kepler Roque Norby
    Wellhausen Shaver Pettet
    Cogan Drake Mauermann
    Posick Schneider Hanzik

Gardner Rolfes
    Williams Steffen
    Bowlby Buchbinder
    Rowe

We did not sieve and I even clapped during their intro, I guess I'm getting soft. We did cheer our team on of course. There were a lot of S Korean fans in the stands. They were really jacked up to get the chance to see their team play in person, their enthusiasm was great to be around. You could tell they appreciated the opportunity and I'm glad I was able to be in their midst. I'd say attendance was 1400 ish, a great turnout.
    You failed to mention that S Korea won the pre planned shoot out after the game 2-1 in 6 rounds! I'm sure S Korean fans got some solace out of that fact!

Quote Originally Posted by AAA Dad View Post
    You failed to mention that S Korea won the pre planned shoot out after the game 2-1 in 6 rounds! I'm sure S Korean fans got some solace out of that fact!
    South Korea should be playing D3 teams. 60 shots against and only 5 shots for including no shots on goal at all in the 3rd period?! They don't belong on the same ice. There's nothing to be learned in games like this other than you can't possibly compete with D1 teams. Not even sure they would be able to beat a D3 team.

Quote Originally Posted by HNIF View Post
    Pankowski has been centralized to the USA National Team and most likely will play in the Olympics. She will not play college hockey this season.
    Oh, good grief. I should have known. Funny thing is each time I google "USA women's hockey" or anything like it, I get different results with old rosters. Plus, she was still on the UW roster according to the WCHA site.
    Too bad about Cece. Hope it's not anything too serious.

Wisconsin Badgers Crease Creature

Quote Originally Posted by shelfit View Post
    South Korea should be playing D3 teams. 60 shots against and only 5 shots for including no shots on goal at all in the 3rd period?! They don't belong on the same ice. There's nothing to be learned in games like this other than you can't possibly compete with D1 teams. Not even sure they would be able to beat a D3 team.
    Well, they're going to be playing in the Olympics regardless.

D3s can't start skating until 10/15 or so.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    4 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16,??? 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar

There's nothing to be learned in games like this other than you can't possibly compete with D1 teams.
    The international game is speedy, so I'd think that playing D-I teams will be a step in the right direction toward speeding the Koreans up. It isn't like they are medal hopefuls, so the most important thing is to get them to play their best game possible in front of their home fans. They've rank in the 20s internationally for years, so they already know what teams of that level look like. Now they have to be able to coexist on the ice with the teams in the top 10 internationally, so they'll need to be thrown into the deep water and figure out how to stay afloat. It isn't about learning to win, but it is about demonstrating that they can exist on the same ice as the other Olympic teams.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by ARM View Post
    The international game is speedy, so I'd think that playing D-I teams will be a step in the right direction toward speeding the Koreans up. It isn't like they are medal hopefuls, so the most important thing is to get them to play their best game possible in front of their home fans. They've rank in the 20s internationally for years, so they already know what teams of that level look like. Now they have to be able to coexist on the ice with the teams in the top 10 internationally, so they'll need to be thrown into the deep water and figure out how to stay afloat. It isn't about learning to win, but it is about demonstrating that they can exist on the same ice as the other Olympic teams.
    I manage a midget AA team in the Toronto area and we've been playing team China for the last 4 years. The series is 3-1 in their favour but all the games are within 1 or 2 goals. China is ranked 17th in the world and Korea is 22nd. Can't see how Korea beats a D3 school if China can't pull away from a midget AA team.

60 shots against and only 5 shots for including no shots on goal at all in the 3rd period?!

I only saw the first period (UW volleyball starting at 7 PM, hockey started at 6 PM), so I can't say about the three second period SOGs, but one of the two in the first period was a dump in for a line change that happened to be on net. I don't recall the other first period 'shot'.

Let's go RED!

Quote Originally Posted by AAA Dad View Post
    Yeah UW played their most inexperienced goalie and no heavy hitters shot in the shootout, the 7th D was the second shooter, LOL.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    D3s can't start skating until 10/15 or so.
    So they should be playing 19U teams and Canadian Midget AA girls teams between now and when D3 teams are allowed to start playing games. The South Koreans would learn a lot more by doing that than just getting their D-zone coverage destroyed by D1 teams.

Really??!!

So they should be playing 19U teams and Canadian Midget AA girls teams between now and when D3 teams are allowed to start playing games. The South Koreans would learn a lot more by doing that than just getting their D-zone coverage destroyed by D1 teams.
    The Chinese national team has done exactly that.

Let's go RED!

I think they'd have a chance against Robert Morris based on what I saw in the UW/RM game last year and what I saw last Saturday. Bob Morris had 0 chance against UW right from the drop of the puck. I am curious to see how they fare against the rest of the WCHA. Might be tighter than we think, but they will be burned out by the last few games, of course how tired do you get when you don't leave your own zone?

Let's go RED!

UW wins 3-1, shots were 51 - 9. Lindenwood had the upper hand the fist 5 minutes or so, Campbell had a make a big save early on. Shots were 2-0 Lindenwood, then it was 18-1 the rest of the way. Their goal was on a 5 on 3; I'm not sure what Shaver's penalty was after the break away. Lindenwood's goalie played awesome, though I think she wants that 3rd one back, a wicked slappah from out kinda far, I think it went blocker high. The only other time I was uncomfortable was when there were 5 Fr on the ice together in the 2nd period, Lindenwood had good pressure then as well. Of the Fr, Pettet, Bowlby and Hanzik stood out, though none were as eye popping was Roque was last year. Norby looked really good, last year she seemed to have almost zero chemistry with her linemates, this game I think was her best as a Badger.

Norby and Roque lead the country in scoring, what an awesome start. I sound like a UW PR person now.

Norby and Roque lead the country in scoring, what an awesome start. I sound like a UW PR person now.
    Seems more like what would come from the lone BC supporter...

Let's go RED!

Quote Originally Posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    No kidding! Ha!

UW dominated Lindenwood again today. UW had less shots than yesterday, but looked even better. Norby was awesome again, she looks so comfortable out there. I like when the Fr don't stand out in a negative way, they looked like a well oiled machine. On the negative side of the ledger it's a little disappointing none of the Fr stand out in an eyepopping way either. I think this team will struggle to score at times this year. It may just be the Norby/Roque show. I LOVE the fact I am seeing shots off the pass by this team, that's just not something they have done much of in the past. Time will tell. I don't know how tough of a test Mercyhurst will be.

Let's go RED!

Quote Originally Posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    Here's another Grant inspired post.....Oh my gawd, Campbell has a better GAA than ARD! Back to back PK's baby!

The more I think of it, the more amazing it is that the Fr just fit right in, granted it's Lindenwood, but still impressive. Their goalie is REALLY good.

Here's another Grant inspired post.....Oh my gawd, Campbell has a better GAA than ARD! Back to back PK's baby!

The more I think of it, the more amazing it is that the Fr just fit right in, granted it's Lindenwood, but still impressive. Their goalie is REALLY good.
    We kid him a bit about that but at least he has enthusiasm for his squad plus the fact that he seems to be the only one.

That's my role, a 4th line center with a lot of energy and drive, sometimes I do the right thing, sometimes I screw up. That's why I'm on the 4th line, besides not being the most talented F on the team. But I'm on the team and I'm having fun.

I wonder how you say "it's all your fault" in Korean? Answer: "modu ne jalmos-iya". I also wonder in the Korean culture how they take being taunted. There's a lot more honor built into Eastern cultures, it might not be taken the right way, in fun, unless the opponent is North Korea or the rodents, pretty much one in the same (they live in dirt, eat a lot of veggies, are pretty scrawny and have a few showpieces in their capitols.)
    Hate to break it to you but MN is doing much better than the Koch Brothers penal colony you call home
    Last edited by ne7minder; 09-24-2017 at 07:32 PM.

No kidding! Ha!

UW dominated Lindenwood again today. UW had less shots than yesterday, but looked even better. Norby was awesome again, she looks so comfortable out there. I like when the Fr don't stand out in a negative way, they looked like a well oiled machine. On the negative side of the ledger it's a little disappointing none of the Fr stand out in an eyepopping way either. I think this team will struggle to score at times this year. It may just be the Norby/Roque show. I LOVE the fact I am seeing shots off the pass by this team, that's just not something they have done much of in the past. Time will tell. I don't know how tough of a test Mercyhurst will be.
    Observations from this past weekend: I thought the Badgers played very well over all. It is clear to me that which ever wings play with Roque as their center will benefit greatly. She creates space in the offensive zone and is a terrific passer. Both Bowlby and Kepler should get grade A chances every game because of this! The 2nd and 3rd lines will need some time to start gelling. The line of Mauermann, Cogan, and Drake showed flashes especially towards the end of the weekend. And my gosh if Shaver could finish a few of her chances over the weekend she and Wellhausen would have each collected a few points as well. Those two have some nice chemistry out there together and with their speed they are always threats to score, even as penalty killers. I like the energy the 4th line brought and getting the freshman some ice time is always a good thing this time of year. Both power-play units moved the puck nicely and were very close to putting a few pucks in the net. Defensively Bowlby and Buchbinder seem to fit right in as a pair and I love how well each of the players weren't afraid to jump in the play offensively when needed. Campbell wasn't tested often but, I like her presence in the net. I'm looking forward to see what another week (albeit short week) of practice does for this team heading into the Mercyhurst weekend. I think that as the season progresses and new line combos/ D-pairings get acclimated with one another there will be some exciting hockey to see! Should be fun!
    Last edited by rangersrule; 09-25-2017 at 12:29 PM.

SIEVE chant & BUD SONG originators

Nice start, but I'm not a fan of red (dark) uni's at home, like the NHL. I don't mind change, but in hockey I'm a swag traditionalist. Is this a temporary thing or WCHA?

(Get off my lawn)
    The Rock - Kessel 2020.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi
    "License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Thread Information