This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
    Yes, I think more open ice benefits the better skating team. Mariucci is getting narrowed some day soon BTW

I would rather play at a packed Mariucci - that was my point
    I find women's hockey is much better and more exciting on standard NHL size rinks, not Olympic sheets. The game slows down too much on the bigger surface and missed passes are more numerous. D1 not so much as D3 of course. D3 definitely belongs on standard rinks.

Comment

Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2017-2018

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
      I would rather play at a packed Mariucci - that was my point
      As would I, but it's just not realistic. That was my point.
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Dara Greig commits to Wisconsin for '19-'20.

https://***********/WHockeyCommits/s...43414331932674

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=326533
        Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
          Awesome! Looks like all they need for that year class is a F, maybe 2.
          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

The potential Shirley situation makes me ponder how Cianfarano would have impacted the outcome for UW the last 3 years. Schools should have the same minimum admission standards across the board and have elevated ones for certain programs.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
              The potential Shirley situation makes me ponder how Cianfarano would have impacted the outcome for UW the last 3 years. Schools should have the same minimum admission standards across the board and have elevated ones for certain programs.
              Wisconsin's admission standards are definitely affecting their wins and losses, don't you find it refreshing that they actually have academic standards? While first hand the U of M and Quinnepiac are letting these girls in, for women's D1 athletics maybe they are preparing these girls for there future? Besides I am not sure TT has had an impact that the other recruits have accomplished. I find it refreshing that they have standards. While losing in the National Championship was disappointing, with no real financial pro league to provide financial security it is great to see an institution not sell there soul to hang banners. Young women have been picking schools based on banners and not degree's for years and it takes a very high moral standard to decline a 5 star recruit admittance based on academics and not sweeping it under the rug.

Comment

Originally posted by upfromtheminors View Post
                Wisconsin's admission standards are definitely affecting their wins and losses, don't you find it refreshing that they actually have academic standards? While first hand the U of M and Quinnepiac are letting these girls in, for women's D1 athletics maybe they are preparing these girls for there future? Besides I am not sure TT has had an impact that the other recruits have accomplished. I find it refreshing that they have standards. While losing in the National Championship was disappointing, with no real financial pro league to provide financial security it is great to see an institution not sell there soul to hang banners. Young women have been picking schools based on banners and not degree's for years and it takes a very high moral standard to decline a 5 star recruit admittance based on academics and not sweeping it under the rug.
                It's hard to argue with this, it's just as little sad a young lady can't fulfill her dream and go to the school she wants, though that in itself can be a good life lesson. Hopefully somehow it comes together for Sophie.

Comment

It should be noted that the problem with Cianfarano's admission was failing to meet a Big 10 standard, so she wouldn't have been admitted to Minnesota, either.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                    It should be noted that the problem with Cianfarano's admission was failing to meet a Big 10 standard, so she wouldn't have been admitted to Minnesota, either.
                    There you go again, bringing a fact into the discussion.
                    At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2017-2018

This is CNN worthy...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                        This is CNN worthy...
                        These things are bound to happen when you commit to girls 3 years before they graduate. Actually I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often, but maybe that speaks to the "value" placed on their athletic abilities versus their educational abilities......

Comment

I'll break this down a little futher...

Wisconsin's admission standards are definitely affecting their wins and losses, don't you find it refreshing that they actually have academic standards?
                          Ummm...No they aren't. Where is the proof of this? Wisconsin's record for the 3 years without Cianfarano is 97-14-9 with 8 of the 14 losses coming against Minnesota. Minnesota is definitely having an effect on Wisconsin's won/loss record.

So are you implying that other institutions, besides Wisconsin, "actually" don't have much in they way of academic standards?

While first hand the U of M and Quinnepiac are letting these girls in, for women's D1 athletics maybe they are preparing these girls for there future?
                          Quinnipiac took on Cianfarano...Who has the U of M let in?

So again, are you implying that other institutions, besides Wisconsin, aren't preparing girls for the future?

I find it refreshing that they have standards. While losing in the National Championship was disappointing, with no real financial pro league to provide financial security it is great to see an institution not sell there soul to hang banners.
                          TimothyA would say he finds paint thinner quite refreshing...

So again, are you implying that other institutions, besides Wisconsin, are selling their souls to hang banners?

Young women have been picking schools based on banners and not degree's for years and it takes a very high moral standard to decline a 5 star recruit admittance based on academics and not sweeping it under the rug.
                          Where's the proof that for years, young women have been picking schools based on banners and not degrees? And BTW, doesn't Wisconsin have quite a few of those banners themselves?

So again, are you implying that other institutions, besides Wisconisn, are sweeping academic issues under the rug?
                          Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 06-30-2017, 02:46 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                            I'll break this down a little futher...

Ummm...No they aren't. Where is the proof of this? Wisconsin's record for the 3 years without Cianfarano is 97-14-9 with 8 of the 14 losses coming against Minnesota. Minnesota is definitely having an effect on Wisconsin's won/loss record.

So are you implying that other institutions, besides Wisconsin, "actually" don't have much in they way of academic standards?

Quinnipiac took on Cianfarano...Who has the U of M let in?

So again, are you implying that other institutions, besides Wisconsin, aren't preparing girls for the future?

TimothyA would say he finds paint thinner to quite refreshing...

So again, are you implying that other institutions, besides Wisconsin, are selling their souls to hang banners?

Where's the proof that for years, young women have been picking schools based on banners and not degrees? And BTW, doesn't Wisconsin have quite a few of those banners themselves?

So again, are you implying that other institutions, besides Wisconisn, are sweeping academic issues under the rug?
                            Thank you! Couldn't believe what I read.

Comment

Originally posted by GTOWN View Post
                              These things are bound to happen when you commit to girls 3 years before they graduate. Actually I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often, but maybe that speaks to the "value" placed on their athletic abilities versus their educational abilities......
                              What happened with Cianfarano doesn't speak to anyone's academic abilities, and the long lead time of commitment ought to have made her rejection less likely, rather than more. The specific issue in her case was not grades; it was that she didn't take a sufficient number of what the Big 10 considers to be core academic classes. No one, so far as I know, has suggested that she wouldn't have passed that extra class had she taken it, or that it indicated that she wouldn't have been academically successful. My understanding is that she could have been admitted to Wisconsin, but that she wouldn't have been eligible to play hockey as a freshman and would have had to redshirt.

Given how far ahead she committed to Wisconsin, she really ought to have been aware of the set of classes she needed to take to be eligible. There is some confusion involved with Canadian high school students, but someone should have been on top of this. Some of the blame falls on the Wisconsin athletic department for not communicating. If this has happened again with Shirley (which, so far as I can tell, remains nothing but an unsourced rumor, and even if she isn't eligible, we don't know if it's the same issue), then it's on Mark Johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                                then it's on Mark Johnson.
                                I agree with this. The support staff sure as heck must be informing the incoming players of what classes they need and what they count towards, but sometimes all indications say class X will count for a humanity but some stupid academic bureaucrat know it all says it counts for a science and then you are screwed. Been there.

Comment

Working...
                                X