Page 49 of 51 FirstFirst ... 39404142434445464748495051 LastLast

Thread: Wisconsin Badgers 2017-2018

Let's go RED!

Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2017-2018

Quote Originally Posted by shelfit View Post
    There will be plenty of tears of heartbreak and disappointment shed tonight and throughout the weekend by the Badgers players and justifiably so. Anything less than the National Championship this year is a failure in their minds and they are right. I don't think they consider this to be a great season. A very good one, yes, but they did exactly what they expected themselves to do all season long to get to this weekend. Falling short of the title game to a far less talented opponent is not acceptable to these athletes. Two years in a row of choking on this weekend is a sickening pattern and only a national championship victory is going to cure this ill. Lots to work on for the future...penalty kill is in the spotlight right now.
    No team in the history of UW women's hockey has ever returned players with as few total points as this team. Ever. The team that returned the fewest points before this one didn't make the ncaa tourney.

To get this far is an incredible accomplishment. To win the wcha regular season title under these circumstances is an incredible accomplishment. To lose yesterday sucks, but to me, a fan, it sucks a whole lot less than losing last year because the expectation were higher last year.

UW was a different team on the road this year than at home. On the road they scored about 1 goal less than at home and allowed about .5 goal more. The PP was average all year. The FF is on the road against the best teams. These stats say it was less probable they were going to win.

This was not a choke job. They didn't go into a shell. They didn't get conservative and play not to lose. They didn't get dominated by an inferior team. They didn't play like crap. They didn't fall apart. They fought back from 3 1 goal deficits. They scored late in the 3rd to tie. They didn't quit, they didn't give up. They played the game they were capable of playing. I can ask for nothing more than what they gave.

From a tactics angle, as the first ot played out, after a Colgate icing, why not send the 4th line out for a shift? They would have skated circles around Colgate in the O zone and it would have allowed the top 3 lines just a little more rest which could have paid dividends later on. I have to believe a totally rested but not as talented 4th line would be as good as any dog tired Colgate top 3 line. At that point energy would have been the biggest advantage.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

One thing that surprised me was all the chances from the slot that UW had and they could not get the puck on the net. Over the crossbar and wide a number of times.
    Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
    WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
    If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years)

Quote Originally Posted by vicb View Post
    One thing that surprised me was all the chances from the slot that UW had and they could not get the puck on the net. Over the crossbar and wide a number of times.
    That sounds like a similar observation from last year's final

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    No team in the history of UW women's hockey has ever returned players with as few total points as this team. Ever. The team that returned the fewest points before this one didn't make the ncaa tourney.

To get this far is an incredible accomplishment. To win the wcha regular season title under these circumstances is an incredible accomplishment. To lose yesterday sucks, but to me, a fan, it sucks a whole lot less than losing last year because the expectation were higher last year.

UW was a different team on the road this year than at home. On the road they scored about 1 goal less than at home and allowed about .5 goal more. The PP was average all year. The FF is on the road against the best teams. These stats say it was less probable they were going to win.

This was not a choke job. They didn't go into a shell. They didn't get conservative and play not to lose. They didn't get dominated by an inferior team. They didn't play like crap. They didn't fall apart. They fought back from 3 1 goal deficits. They scored late in the 3rd to tie. They didn't quit, they didn't give up. They played the game they were capable of playing. I can ask for nothing more than what they gave.

From a tactics angle, as the first ot played out, after a Colgate icing, why not send the 4th line out for a shift? They would have skated circles around Colgate in the O zone and it would have allowed the top 3 lines just a little more rest which could have paid dividends later on. I have to believe a totally rested but not as talented 4th line would be as good as any dog tired Colgate top 3 line. At that point energy would have been the biggest advantage.
    This is some good spin right here...You tell yourself what you've got to cover the fact that your squad just didn't get the job done against a team, that for large portions of the game, looked like pylons with the BADgers skating circles around them.

Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar

I don't think Wisconsin needs to apologize in any way for its effort yesterday. Did the offense look like a chainsaw that needs its chain sharpened at times? Yes, but that is who the Badgers have been for much of the season. That offense did get three pucks to go into the net, which is usually enough. Yesterday, it wasn't, because they met a team that we all knew was dangerous and had a lot of offensive talent.

Nice season, Badgers, and a heck of an effort last night.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    This is some good spin right here...You tell yourself what you've got to cover the fact that your squad just didn't get the job done against a team, that for large portions of the game, looked like pylons with the BADgers skating circles around them.
    Tim is right, troll. This team just didn't play great away from LaBahn especially late in the year. They lost so much scoring from last year, this was a great year. They should have won with all the shots and domination of long sections but they just didn't put the pucks in the net when it counted.
    Last edited by WiscTJK; 03-17-2018 at 10:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WiscTJK View Post
    Tim is right, troll. This team just didn't play great away from LaBahn especially late in the year. They lost so much scoring from last year, this was a great year. They should have won with all the shots and domination of long sections but they just didn't put the pucks in the net when it counted.
    Badgers should have won, don't know if they were told to shoot high on Colgate goalie as I could not believe how many shots went over the net or totally missed. No chance for a rebound or deflection when puck is flying bye your head or wide. I did not keep track but would say more shots missed the net than were on net and I am not including blocked shots. Hard to be a finisher when the puck never gets to the net.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFan View Post
    Badgers should have won, don't know if they were told to shoot high on Colgate goalie as I could not believe how many shots went over the net or totally missed. No chance for a rebound or deflection when puck is flying bye your head or wide. I did not keep track but would say more shots missed the net than were on net and I am not including blocked shots. Hard to be a finisher when the puck never gets to the net.
    When Abby Roque scored twice against Minnesota the week before, both goals were high to the blocker side. Yes, it certainly appeared that was what/where Badger shooters were going for last night.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFan View Post
    I did not keep track but would say more shots missed the net than were on net and I am not including blocked shots.
    Per the official stats, 99 shot attempts for UW, 26 blocked, 25 missed, 45 saved, and 3 into the net.

The Badgers won every phase of the game, save one: goaltending. Advantage Colgate in the goaltending department, for this night, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by ARM View Post
    Per the official stats, 99 shot attempts for UW, 26 blocked, 25 missed, 45 saved, and 3 into the net.
    What about the stats for Colgate? After a certain point MJ should have made the adjustment and told his team to just get that first shot on net and gun for the rebounds. They would probably have been able to capitalize more often using rhat simple strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by Leather helmet View Post
    The Badgers won every phase of the game, save one: goaltending. Advantage Colgate in the goaltending department, for this night, anyway.
    The Badgers definitely didn't win the special teams phases of the game. That's a huge omission on your part. Big advantage to Colgate in the PP and PK departments too, which is really why they won.

What about the stats for Colgate?
    Colgate: 58 attempts, 19 blocked, 15 missed, 24 on goal, 20 saves, 4 goals.

The Badgers definitely didn't win the special teams phases of the game. That's a huge omission on your part. Big advantage to Colgate in the PP and PK departments too, which is really why they won.
    The stats say that, but in reality, it was closer. Colgate had a couple of PPs where nothing was happening for them, and then they suddenly scored just before the penalty was over. Meanwhile, Steffen's goal was 10 seconds after Wildfang's penalty expired, but before Colgate got back to equal footing, and Kepler's PP goal came just 11 seconds into the PP. Either team was vulnerable when it went shorthanded.

Quote Originally Posted by ARM View Post
    Colgate: 58 attempts, 19 blocked, 15 missed, 24 on goal, 20 saves, 4 goals.

The stats say that, but in reality, it was closer. Colgate had a couple of PPs where nothing was happening for them, and then they suddenly scored just before the penalty was over. Meanwhile, Steffen's goal was 10 seconds after Wildfang's penalty expired, but before Colgate got back to equal footing, and Kepler's PP goal came just 11 seconds into the PP. Either team was vulnerable when it went shorthanded.
    At the end of the night the stats are all that matter especially the final score, not how the stats happened or didn't happen. Again, it's not how. It's how many. Colgate was better at capitalizing on their opportunities. End of story. Frankly I think Wisconsin was out-coached too.

Quote Originally Posted by WiscTJK View Post
    "Didn't play great away from LaBahn", "Lost so much scoring", "This is a great year", They shoulda, coulda, woulda...

Two years running that the BADgers had the most talented team and failed to win the National Championship, but hey, if calling me names and rolling out the excuses makes you feel better, more power to ya...

Trolls gonna troll...

Quote Originally Posted by robertearle View Post
    Trolls gonna troll...
    You good with what has transpired the last two years for Wisconsin? I know I wouldn't be if I supported Wisconsin but again, if telling it like it is, is trolling to you folks than so be it.

Let's go RED!

Quote Originally Posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    Two years running that the BADgers had the most talented team )
    How were they the most talented team this year when they only have 1 scorer in the top 20?
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    How were they the most talented team this year when they only have 1 scorer in the top 20?
    I think a better argument could be made that they were the deepest throughout their entire lineup - no glaring weaknesses. But they were clearly lacking the prolific scorers (talent on offense) they've had previously...
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    I think a better argument could be made that they were the deepest throughout their entire lineup - no glaring weaknesses. But they were clearly lacking the prolific scorers (talent on offense) they've had previously...
    This is it. Watching them you got the sense that they could do puck control better than anyone else. From the defensemen not making many mistakes with the puck and getting the puck out of their own zone to the relentless pressure by the forwards in the opposition's zone and the best passing I saw of any team this year. The sum was greater than the individual parts. The best "team" that was ultimately let down by what Leather Helmet said, which was goaltending not up to Wisconsin's standards.

The no spin version of Wisconsin's season is that it was a good season and it is always good to win the WCHA title and to beat your major rival 5 out of 6 times, especially the NCAA quarterfinal shutout. Probably Wisconsin's best game of the year. However, disappointing to not parlay that into a National title.

Thread Information