This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Leather helmet View Post
    The Badgers won every phase of the game, save one: goaltending. Advantage Colgate in the goaltending department, for this night, anyway.
    The Badgers definitely didn't win the special teams phases of the game. That's a huge omission on your part. Big advantage to Colgate in the PP and PK departments too, which is really why they won.

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2017-2018

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
      What about the stats for Colgate?
      Colgate: 58 attempts, 19 blocked, 15 missed, 24 on goal, 20 saves, 4 goals.

The Badgers definitely didn't win the special teams phases of the game. That's a huge omission on your part. Big advantage to Colgate in the PP and PK departments too, which is really why they won.
      The stats say that, but in reality, it was closer. Colgate had a couple of PPs where nothing was happening for them, and then they suddenly scored just before the penalty was over. Meanwhile, Steffen's goal was 10 seconds after Wildfang's penalty expired, but before Colgate got back to equal footing, and Kepler's PP goal came just 11 seconds into the PP. Either team was vulnerable when it went shorthanded.
      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Originally posted by ARM View Post
        Colgate: 58 attempts, 19 blocked, 15 missed, 24 on goal, 20 saves, 4 goals.

The stats say that, but in reality, it was closer. Colgate had a couple of PPs where nothing was happening for them, and then they suddenly scored just before the penalty was over. Meanwhile, Steffen's goal was 10 seconds after Wildfang's penalty expired, but before Colgate got back to equal footing, and Kepler's PP goal came just 11 seconds into the PP. Either team was vulnerable when it went shorthanded.
        At the end of the night the stats are all that matter especially the final score, not how the stats happened or didn't happen. Again, it's not how. It's how many. Colgate was better at capitalizing on their opportunities. End of story. Frankly I think Wisconsin was out-coached too.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
          Tim is right, troll. This team just didn't play great away from LaBahn especially late in the year. They lost so much scoring from last year, this was a great year. They should have won with all the shots and domination of long sections but they just didn't put the pucks in the net when it counted.
          "Didn't play great away from LaBahn", "Lost so much scoring", "This is a great year", They shoulda, coulda, woulda...

Two years running that the BADgers had the most talented team and failed to win the National Championship, but hey, if calling me names and rolling out the excuses makes you feel better, more power to ya...
          At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Trolls gonna troll...

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
              Trolls gonna troll...
              You good with what has transpired the last two years for Wisconsin? I know I wouldn't be if I supported Wisconsin but again, if telling it like it is, is trolling to you folks than so be it.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                Two years running that the BADgers had the most talented team )
                How were they the most talented team this year when they only have 1 scorer in the top 20?
                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                  How were they the most talented team this year when they only have 1 scorer in the top 20?
                  I think a better argument could be made that they were the deepest throughout their entire lineup - no glaring weaknesses. But they were clearly lacking the prolific scorers (talent on offense) they've had previously...
                  Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                    I think a better argument could be made that they were the deepest throughout their entire lineup - no glaring weaknesses. But they were clearly lacking the prolific scorers (talent on offense) they've had previously...
                    This is it. Watching them you got the sense that they could do puck control better than anyone else. From the defensemen not making many mistakes with the puck and getting the puck out of their own zone to the relentless pressure by the forwards in the opposition's zone and the best passing I saw of any team this year. The sum was greater than the individual parts. The best "team" that was ultimately let down by what Leather Helmet said, which was goaltending not up to Wisconsin's standards.

The no spin version of Wisconsin's season is that it was a good season and it is always good to win the WCHA title and to beat your major rival 5 out of 6 times, especially the NCAA quarterfinal shutout. Probably Wisconsin's best game of the year. However, disappointing to not parlay that into a National title.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                      This is it. Watching them you got the sense that they could do puck control better than anyone else. From the defensemen not making many mistakes with the puck and getting the puck out of their own zone to the relentless pressure by the forwards in the opposition's zone and the best passing I saw of any team this year. The sum was greater than the individual parts. The best "team" that was ultimately let down by what Leather Helmet said, which was goaltending not up to Wisconsin's standards.

The no spin version of Wisconsin's season is that it was a good season and it is always good to win the WCHA title and to beat your major rival 5 out of 6 times, especially the NCAA quarterfinal shutout. Probably Wisconsin's best game of the year. However, disappointing to not parlay that into a National title.
                      Well said! This was a difficult loss for the Badgers for the simple fact of the culture & work ethic of this team was obvious from week one. This was a lunch bucket team that had no Superstars or Egos. They went out (almost) every game with a young roster & just outworked everyone. Campbell had an outstanding season! She came to the Badgers from the Sue where she only played 5 games as a freshman! I would look at her as a goalie that will learn from this experience & will be stronger next year from it! She will compliment a very strong team next year that will return its Defense along with a wonderful group of forwards as we sprinkle in Clark, Pankowski, & Shirley. Can't wait for the chatter of how we can't win the big one! At least that means we have a chance again in 2018!

Comment

At the end of the night the stats are all that matter especially the final score, not how the stats happened or didn't happen. Again, it's not how. It's how many. Colgate was better at capitalizing on their opportunities. End of story. Frankly I think Wisconsin was out-coached too.

Agree. Fargo came up with the boldest, most brilliant, game plan in history.

Quotes from Fargo's pre-game:
                        "Ladies, listen up!

I've studied on it and our only chance to win this game, is to play 80% of it in our own end. That and we absolutely have to force them them to take about 100 shots on us.

So first, if we get the puck, that's gonna be bad for us, so let's be sure to play smart and give it back to them as quick as we can. Second, we gotta get at least 3 dingers on the power play...

Now I know you're all thinking, "This is no way to win! And they haven't given up more than one power play goal in four years, more than two in something like 400 games?"

Exactly! See! That's the genius of it all! They'll never expect it! Surprise! Mwahahahaaaaaaa!

....erm... alright now... let's just get out there and play this game like we're not in the same class... and win!
                        Originally posted by WiscTJK
                        I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                        Originally posted by Timothy A
                        Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

• Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post

Well at least you're not "bitter much?!" from choking two years in a row. Lol. If you listened to his remarks he said they knew they were going to have to weather the storm at certain times throughout the game and wait for their opportunities and hope to take advantage of those opportinities. They did exactly that. They displayed great poise and patience because that's what they were prepared for, and they definitely took advantage of their opportunities. Being opportunistic is critical in winning games no matter how good your team is or how many shots you get compared to your opponents.

Perhaps MJ's in-game comments to his players were, "Ok, keep shooting it high and missing the net. Those attempts look really nice even though they're not hitting the target and not giving us rebounds or wearing down their goalie. We'll just keep hoping one of those shots eventually goes in. Meanwhile I'll make no adjustments and I'll keep telling you how well you're playing especially on our penalty kill."

Face it, he was out-coached. Did you see his face when they did close-ups on him as the game wore on? He looked stressed and perplexed. Fargo looked relaxed and like he was having fun.
                          Last edited by shelfit; 03-18-2018, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post

That was SO hilarious, nicely done Wisko!

Comment

Face it, he was out-coached. Did you see his face when they did close-ups on him as the game wore on? He looked stressed and perplexed. Fargo looked relaxed and like he was having fun.
                              UW scored 3 goals, they allowed 2 ppgs as they expired on broken plays. Don't let the facts get in the way of your fake news narrative.

Comment

Well at least you're not "bitter much?!" from choking two years in a row.
                                If a team does what it has been doing all season long, only this time it doesn't result in a win, I consider that to be the game of hockey, not a choke. UW never led in either game, so to say it choked disrespects what the winning teams accomplished as well.
                                Meanwhile I'll make no adjustments and I'll keep telling you how well you're playing especially on our penalty kill."
                                The penalty kill did do many things well. Colgate scored: a) as a 5-on-3 became a 5-on-4, and teams do score on 5-on-3 PPs; b) on a PP rush where Eldridge got a decent shot at the net, but one that you'd expect that your goalie would be able to stop; c) on another transition opportunity after an otherwise very nice PK by UW. The key on the final goal was that Wilson-Bennett was coming off the bench and had as much energy as you're going to have at that stage of the game. Teams don't spend a lot of time working on the PK after having played almost five periods, so Wilson-Bennett was able to exploit a seam. I don't know what adjustment Johnson was going to have made to the PK to prevent that final goal. On the previous couple, maybe you could sit Roque down and tell her to quit bowling people over in the first place, but that would be after the damage was already done.
                                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Working...
                                X