• Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2017-2018

Originally posted by rangersrule View Post

Gardner (LD) .... Rolfes (RD)
    Williams (LD .... Steffen (RD)
    Bowlby (LD) ..... Buchbinder (RD)
    Rowe (RD)
    The D pairs will be another interesting situation. Who will eat up the minutes that Channel and Ryan are gone? The 2 incoming Fr are very talented, I think they will be ahead of Williams (and Rowe, who played well when she got the chance). I don't think Rolfes played as well as she did prior to the redshirt year, but that bar was pretty high. Steffen really stood out in a positive way as a Fr, one could say she was the 3rd best D last year. Gardiner has some wheels and some O push, as does Steffen. I think the Fr will be in the top 4 mix.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
      The D pairs will be another interesting situation. Who will eat up the minutes that Channel and Ryan are gone? The 2 incoming Fr are very talented, I think they will be ahead of Williams (and Rowe, who played well when she got the chance). I don't think Rolfes played as well as she did prior to the redshirt year, but that bar was pretty high. Steffen really stood out in a positive way as a Fr, one could say she was the 3rd best D last year. Gardiner has some wheels and some O push, as does Steffen. I think the Fr will be in the top 4 mix.
      The D pairs will also be an interesting mix of 6. All are very talented with an offensive side to them. Gardner brings attitude and a physical presence that will be important to a very "offensive" D Core.
      BTW...A little birdie told me that Campbell looks really good!

Comment

Originally posted by GopherBadger View Post
        .A little birdie told me that Campbell looks really good!
        MJ would not have brought her in if she didn't have a shot at starting. I really don't care who the starter is, just win baby.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
          MJ would not have brought her in if she didn't have a shot at starting. I really don't care who the starter is, just win baby.
          Badgers certainly have depth in the net this year, and for the first time in a while there's a goalie battle. Could be good or bad for the atmosphere & chemistry - similar to a qb battle on a football team. Time will tell how this group of players (& coaches) manages it. And with Kronish on deck (she's at the Badger camp this week) there's more talent on the way. Any truth to the rumors of an '02 goalie commitment?

Comment

Originally posted by Sieve1 View Post
            Badgers certainly have depth in the net this year, and for the first time in a while there's a goalie battle. Could be good or bad for the atmosphere & chemistry - similar to a qb battle on a football team. Time will tell how this group of players (& coaches) manages it. And with Kronish on deck (she's at the Badger camp this week) there's more talent on the way. Any truth to the rumors of an '02 goalie commitment?
            Personally I hate the goalie battles/split time deals. Choose the best player and ride them all the way. Split time situations can give you bad thoughts in your head. I know nothing of rumors of commitments.

Comment

Personally I hate the goalie battles/split time deals. Choose the best player and ride them all the way. Split time situations can give you bad thoughts in your head. I know nothing of rumors of commitments.
              Based on the last 10 years or so I would doubt that the coaching staff would have goalies split time equally. There has always been a clear #1 starter going back from Vetter to Rigsby to DesBien. Also the team playing in front of a goaltender likes it better to know there is a steady player in the net with the coaches confidence in that player.

Comment

• Originally posted by rangersrule View Post
                Based on the last 10 years or so I would doubt that the coaching staff would have goalies split time equally. There has always been a clear #1 starter going back from Vetter to Rigsby to DesBien. Also the team playing in front of a goaltender likes it better to know there is a steady player in the net with the coaches confidence in that player.
                Fair enough however the big question is whether or not there is a Vetter, Rigsby or Desbiens in the current roster. Tough acts to follow.

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
                  Fair enough however the big question is whether or not there is a Vetter, Rigsby or Desbiens in the current roster. Tough acts to follow.
                  Right-O. I have the full confidence in the coaches that they have recruited and can develop the next one, we just have to see who it is. I think if the next one is 90% of ARD UW will be just fine.

For me, this year is more of a development year for the team. When Clark and Pankowski get back next year and hopefully Shirley arrives, they will be unstoppable. That being said, a "development year" still means a top 2 wcha finish and a probable ticket to the ncaa's, VS being #1 all year, winning the league regular season and playoff titles and being in the ncaa title game.

Comment

Originally posted by rangersrule View Post
                    2009-2010 - Becca Ruegsegger started 20 games and Alannah McCready started 16. Yes, that team didn't do very well, but IMO that wasn't because of the goal-keeping.

Comment

When Clark and Pankowski get back next year and hopefully Shirley arrives, they will be unstoppable.
                      A very bold prediction indeed. The Gophers look to be similarly loaded. Looking into my crystal ball I see some tremendous battles between the two teams next season. As to which one comes out on top much depends on the degree to which each develops their younger players this season.
                      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                        2009-2010 - Becca Ruegsegger started 20 games and Alannah McCready started 16. Yes, that team didn't do very well, but IMO that wasn't because of the goal-keeping.
                        Vetter played in 13 games as a Fr and 24 as a So, who were her net-minding mates then? (before my time as a UW women fan unfortunately)

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                          A very bold prediction indeed.
                          No one will stop them. NO ONE! Not even a green/yellow coloured team who we had a winning record against last year and certainly not a maroooon and urine colored team.

Comment

No one will stop them. NO ONE! Not even a green/yellow coloured team who we had a winning record against last year and certainly not a maroooon and urine colored team.
                            Jeez, a little after 10AM in the morning and you're already thinnered up...
                            At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Vetter played in 13 games as a Fr and 24 as a So, who were her net-minding mates then? (before my time as a UW women fan unfortunately)
                              In 2005-2006, Christine DuFour and Meghan Horras split time/starts early in the year, with Vetter getting her first start in Dec. Even in Feb and into March, the three were still splitting time, with Vetter finally emerging as #1 for the playoffs. The rest of the team was so good, it didn't matter all that much who was in goal; DuFour went 9-1, Horras 13-2-1, and Vetter 11-1. vetter's numbers were better than DuFour, and DuFour's better than Horras.

In 2006-2007, DuFour and Vetter split time, Vetter 20-1-3 and DuFour 16-0-1. They had very similar (and excellent) GAAs and save percents.

(Both seasons were 'before my time' in person, but I watched/listened to what I could at long distance. So no "eye test" info from me.)

I googled DuFour, and got hits on some pretty interesting articles, like these two, from 2004 and then 2007:

https://badgerherald.com/sports/2004...adds-second-t/

http://www.uwbadgers.com/news/2007/2...n_6_0_Win.aspx
                              Last edited by robertearle; 08-02-2017, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fiveholefrenzy View Post
                                jeez, a little after 10am in the morning and you're already thinnered up...
                                wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwhhhhhhhhhhhooooooooooooaaaaaaaaa aaa yyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X