Page 46 of 51 FirstFirst ... 36373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast

Thread: Wisconsin Badgers 2017-2018

Making America Troll Again

Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2017-2018

Quote Originally Posted by Nowheresville View Post
    If you're visiting BRF again, you should check out Sand Creek Brewing. I'm quite fond of their Oscars Chocolate Stout - although that might be because it really was one of the first craft beers I remember drinking, 15-20 years ago before craft beer was really a thing.
    blech, that isn't beer

Capital had some beer that tasted like butterscotch kisses

Quote Originally Posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
    Point's a lot better beer today than it was back in the late 60's. Although as a poor college student back then I'd usually buy 3 cases of Pfeiffer's in Mendota at $2.50 a case on my way south to school. If someone else was buying I'd get PBR.
    my dad always went there for there 3 cases for $7 or whatever it was, I drank that because he was cheap and also knew that I wouldn't steal any of his beer
    drank Old Style for about 25 years until they finally shut the place down in LaCrosse

what does this have to do with hockey?
    it's freekin' WI dude
    Last edited by pokechecker; 03-10-2018 at 12:18 PM.
    Doing my best to alleviate our nations political hysteria.

Gopher band just played Brooklyn, by Youngblood Brass Band. Interesting that they chose a piece by a band from Madison...

Who is planning on heading to the frozen four? I have never been to a frozen four, women's or men's, and this seems to be a prime opportunity to do it since Minneapolis is only four hours away from Madison. So I will probably go. It would be a solo trip for me though; all of the friends I asked either didn't want to go or were unavailable. So if I go, I would love to find some Badger fans to make friends with!

Quote Originally Posted by wiscolorado View Post
    Who is planning on heading to the frozen four? I have never been to a frozen four, women's or men's, and this seems to be a prime opportunity to do it since Minneapolis is only four hours away from Madison. So I will probably go. It would be a solo trip for me though; all of the friends I asked either didn't want to go or were unavailable. So if I go, I would love to find some Badger fans to make friends with!
    I've gone to the women's FF twice, and the Badgers lost in the final both times (2012 in Duluth, and last year in St Louis). So I'm thinking I'll do us all a favor and stay home. But if you do go, pay attention to the uwbadgers web site women's hockey page. The Athletic Dept support staff do a great job of organizing away-from-the-rink events at restaurants and bars etc., and times and locations will get posted at the web site.

Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by robertearle View Post
    I've gone to the women's FF twice, and the Badgers lost in the final both times (2012 in Duluth, and last year in St Louis). So I'm thinking I'll do us all a favor and stay home.
    Third time is the charm. It is pretty sweet to be there when your team wins it all.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by ARM View Post
    Third time is the charm. It is pretty sweet to be there when your team wins it all.
    I'm also 0-for-1 in Super Bowls (but 3-for-3 in Rose Bowls; though those weren't fully 'championship' games, so...)

Quote Originally Posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
    I predict another Gopher victory. And TA, keep an eye out for Williamson, she has been dynamite. And if you think you are hearing a gun shot, that will be a Zumwinkle slapper.
    Total Badger domination... not EVEN CLOSE!! Wisconsin pretty much controlled the game from the opening puck drop and never looked back.. UW is finally healthy and are looking to win it all this year! Should be fun on Gopher ice next week!!

Let's go RED!

Quote Originally Posted by rangersrule View Post
    Total Badger domination... not EVEN CLOSE!! Wisconsin pretty much controlled the game from the opening puck drop and never looked back.. UW is finally healthy and are looking to win it all this year! Should be fun on Gopher ice next week!!
    It was a little nerve racking until the 1st goal, then I felt pretty good the way UW was playing. You hate to get into the 3rd period 0-0 while dominating your opponent, 1 lucky break and you lose. Roque made sure that would not be a problem.

Overall what a clamp down performance it was, just fantastic. Roque stepped it up today for sure, she had so many moments where she jumped out at you. I do believe the lack of tv timeouts played to UW's advantage.

My eyes still haven't stopped burning from seeing Goldy is person. I will say Goldy and the rodent band were better as far as being annoying to the opponent fans than their UW counterparts. Band vs band UW was better.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    My eyes still haven't stopped burning from seeing Goldy is person. I will say Goldy and the rodent band were better as far as being annoying to the opponent fans than their UW counterparts. Band vs band UW was better.
    Burning eyes? That's what happens when you pull Goldy's tail.

I've noticed over the years that the Badger band when they play at Ridder seems to have a much larger repertoire than the Gopher band. The guy that sits next to me at Ridder and was in the Gopher band years ago said they do have several more tunes in their playbook than those they play at the games. "So why don't they play them then," I asked. He gave some lame excuse, I forget what.

Paul Desmond's "Take Five" would be nice to hear between periods.

Trivia question: What did Nixon lawyer Leonard Garment, Bob Cooper and Vido Musso all have in common?
    Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 03-10-2018 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Or was it Henry Jerome & His Stepping Tones?

Quote Originally Posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
    I've noticed over the years that the Badger band when they play at Ridder seems to have a much larger repertoire than the Gopher band. The guy that sits next to me at Ridder and was in the Gopher band years ago said they do have several more tunes in their playbook than those they play at the games. "So why don't they play them then," I asked. He gave some lame excuse, I forget what.
    On the other hand, my sister, who got her doctorate from Wisconsin 15 years ago, joined me in Madison for the series three weeks ago. After the second game, she said, "The band played exactly one song all weekend that they weren't playing when I was here."

Quote Originally Posted by Still Eeyore View Post
    On the other hand, my sister, who got her doctorate from Wisconsin 15 years ago, joined me in Madison for the series three weeks ago. After the second game, she said, "The band played exactly one song all weekend that they weren't playing when I was here."
    I guess I'll just have to get my jazz fix somewhere other than at hockey games then. We were A-Train members at the Dakota for over 15 years until they started bringing in more artists like Iris DeMent or Judy Collins and less jazz guys like Kenny Barron or McCoy Tyner. Of course, my wife loves Iris DeMent so...
    Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 03-11-2018 at 03:10 AM. Reason: Where have you gone Art Pepper?

Quote Originally Posted by Still Eeyore View Post
    Which could be an indictment against the current genre.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    It was a little nerve racking until the 1st goal, then I felt pretty good the way UW was playing. You hate to get into the 3rd period 0-0 while dominating your opponent, 1 lucky break and you lose. Roque made sure that would not be a problem.

Overall what a clamp down performance it was, just fantastic. Roque stepped it up today for sure, she had so many moments where she jumped out at you. I do believe the lack of tv timeouts played to UW's advantage.

I love UWs pep band. But you may have noticed they bring no woodwinds so they are much louder. I guess UW band has not gotten the word on 'naughty words' since they still say 'suck' during the sieve cheer. There is no crowd in women's hockey like the Badgers crowd. They really get rocking and rolling when the team is doing well. Most other places seem to be stuck in the thought that is girls instead of its hockey & are far too polite. However there were 4 (I assume inebriated) souls in front of us who hollered through most of the game. It sounded like they were organized cheers but there were too many words, their pronunciation was muffled and indistinct so they mostly seemed to be rambling. When they justifiably tried to harass Ludwig I doubt he could even hear them let alone make out whatever gibberish they were trying to spout. Crazy Dave could drown them all out by himself & make it clear his complaint.

Been going to college hockey games in person since the late 60s & it seems to me the bands, all bands, seem to rely on the same 7-8 things they have
    played for years. Something will pop up one year & an oldie will go away but not often

EDIT: I thanked the UW band last weekend for showing upo & told them how much I liked their work. They seemed genuinely surprised. - Maybe disappointed? Sadly I bet they are the only real band to show up this weekend. There are several "Knights" near Minneapolis but no "Buckeyes" so it is impossible to guess what, if any, shadow replacements will be in house.
    Last edited by ne7minder; 03-11-2018 at 09:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ne7minder View Post
    Sadly I bet [UW band] are the only real band to show up this weekend.
    Other years, there is stiff competition for the Pep Band's time and attention - men's hockey, basketball, etc. Sadly, this year women's hockey is the only game in town. Are you ready for 200 or so of them to appear?

Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar

Are you ready for 200 or so of them to appear?
    The NCAA limits it to a pretty small band for women's hockey at the FF, even when the home team.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

I go to the men's Frozen Four every year (well, I missed Philly because we were opening a new hospital) and have been to one women's Frozen Four (Duluth). This year, since I'm retired, I am hitting up both the men's and women's, so that's two round trips to the Cities in three weeks.

I know we still have 2 games to play (hopefully) but I'm looking ahead to next year. Currently the roster shows 25 players which includes Pankowski and Clark. We only lose 3 seniors but in January it was announced 5 freshman will join the team next year including heralded recruits Sophie Shirley and Brita Curl. The team should be scary good, but I'm wondering how many scholarship players are we allowed to have? With a goaltender coming next fall that would make 5 goalies on the roster all juniors or younger. Are we expecting some attrition either from goalies or position players? Since Campbell played every minute of the season I'm assuming all 3 other goalies from this year could effectively redshirt if they all comeback?

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzo View Post
    I know we still have 2 games to play (hopefully) but I'm looking ahead to next year. Currently the roster shows 25 players which includes Pankowski and Clark. We only lose 3 seniors but in January it was announced 5 freshman will join the team next year including heralded recruits Sophie Shirley and Brita Curl. The team should be scary good, but I'm wondering how many scholarship players are we allowed to have? With a goaltender coming next fall that would make 5 goalies on the roster all juniors or younger. Are we expecting some attrition either from goalies or position players? Since Campbell played every minute of the season I'm assuming all 3 other goalies from this year could effectively redshirt if they all comeback?
    If I understand it correctly, a school has 18 scholarships, but those 18 can be divided up into 'partial' scholarships. So you could have 12 players on 'full scholarship', and another 12 on 'half scholarship', etc.

As for 'redshirts' and goalies: I don't know in hockey how 'dressing' but then not playing gets counted, or not counted.
    Last edited by robertearle; 03-11-2018 at 01:18 PM.

Other years, there is stiff competition for the Pep Band's time and attention - men's hockey, basketball, etc. Sadly, this year women's hockey is the only game in town. Are you ready for 200 or so of them to appear?
    NC$$ limits bands to 20-some. That is a good reason to go all brass. In small spaces like Labahn small is probably required but I am sure they do it to limit costs

If I understand it correctly, a school has 18 scholarships, but those 18 can be divided up into 'partial' scholarships. So you could have 12 players on 'full scholarship', and another 12 on 'half scholarship', etc.

As for 'redshirts' and goalies: I don't know in hockey how 'dressing' but then not playing gets counted, or not counted.
    As long as they don't have a second of game time they can redshirt
    Last edited by ne7minder; 03-11-2018 at 08:08 PM.

Thread Information