X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2017-2018

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Aren't the women the most successful team on campus?
    They and the volleyball team are powers, though VB hasn't won any NCAA hardware, they are a perennial ncaa top 10 team. The VB team probably averages 5000 in attendance per match, so they get the band for every game.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

19-20 recruit Dara Greig has made the Canadian U18 roster. So has Grace Shirley, the little sis of still a UW recruit as far as we know it Sophie Shirley. I would love to see both Shirleys in the Cardinal and White. UW has only 11 F for 19-20 & 20-21 on the books at this time, so there is a spot open for her.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
        What your western elitism won't let you mention O'Brien from Massachusetts???
        Casey is fun to watch. Absolutely flies all over the ice. When she learns to score, watch out!

Comment

Originally posted by BCAlum View Post
          Casey is fun to watch. Absolutely flies all over the ice. When she learns to score, watch out!
          Oh great, another player who will underwhelm with scoring, hopefully that is not the case. Thanks for the info.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
            Yeah, I fell asleep at the wheel on that one. Too new of a recruit. I shouldn't forget her because I can rub her in Grant's face if need be.
            Might want to check and see if she is ok with that first

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
              Might want to check and see if she is ok with that first
              That was a bit of an awkward sentence he wrote...
              At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                That was a bit of an awkward sentence he wrote...
                People who live on tunnels are so literal. You need more vitamin D. Or maybe not.

Comment

Not sure if this is the right thread to post this or not but, I noticed that ZERO players from the WCHA were included in the NWHL draft last night. I know the usual suspects (Pankowski and Clark from UW and Pannek from UM) are not eligible because they are part of their respected national teams but, wow! Not one other eligible incoming senior from the WCHA was good enough?? hmmmm...

Comment

Originally posted by rangersrule View Post
                    Not sure if this is the right thread to post this or not but, I noticed that ZERO players from the WCHA were included in the NWHL draft last night. I know the usual suspects (Pankowski and Clark from UW and Pannek from UM) are not eligible because they are part of their respected national teams but, wow! Not one other eligible incoming senior from the WCHA was good enough?? hmmmm...
                    The answer to this is very simple to explain. First, If you count Sweden, Finland, USA, Canada, Switzerland, etc, many of the top WCHA seniors draft eligible are going to be playing this year with their respective countries. Second, a former Wisconsin player signed this year for $3000 yes 3K. The pay scale generally runs from 3K to 30K (Hilary Knight) which is minuscule. Getting what for the most part are midwest girls to go out east and play for peanuts is not very attractive to many girls in the WCHA. Third, the Minnesota Whitecaps. This team is as good as any and probably the best in women's hockey. Girls can stay home, pursue careers and still play college teams on the weekend at the highest level. Fourth, Europe! Many girls choose to go play in Europe to gain experience and see the world. I believe the WCHA defenseman of the year is playing in Sweden next year and Stalder is playing in China next year.

And last, the double edge sword that did so much good may be the end. The USA Women's team getting "paid" was an amazing thing for equality and women's rights, as well as a wonderful way to bring attention to the equality situation. However, in all honesty the WHL was an avenue for some girls to continue their hockey careers as well as keep themselves relevant in the USA player pool. I believe that many players will not choose the WHL moving forward, finding it difficult to compete with a select few that will get paid year round to train. Girls making 10K to play in the WHL will have to work, and I believe the main point of the USA team getting "paid" was so they did not have to work, making it almost impossible for a WHL player not in the player pool to compete. Thus weakening the league, creating a smaller player pool of talent and perhaps putting it in danger. I hope not, women's hockey has come a long way. I wish the could make 300K a year. With no sponsors and small attendance this may have the opposite effect of what everyone thinks. Time will tell.
                    Last edited by upfromtheminors; 08-18-2017, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by upfromtheminors View Post
                      The answer to this is very simple to explain. First, If you count Sweden, Finland, USA, Canada, Switzerland, etc, many of the top WCHA seniors draft eligible are going to be playing this year with their respective countries. Second, a former Wisconsin player signed this year for $3000 yes 3K. The pay scale generally runs from 3K to 30K (Hilary Knight) which is minuscule. Getting what for the most part are midwest girls to go out east and play for peanuts is not very attractive to many girls in the WCHA. Third, the Minnesota Whitecaps. This team is as good as any and probably the best in women's hockey. Girls can stay home, pursue careers and still play college teams on the weekend at the highest level. Fourth, Europe! Many girls choose to go play in Europe to gain experience and see the world. I believe the WCHA defenseman of the year is playing in Sweden next year and Stalder is playing in China next year.

And last, the double edge sword that did so much good may be the end. The USA Women's team getting "paid" was an amazing thing for equality and women's rights, as well as a wonderful way to bring attention to the equality situation. However, in all honesty the WHL was an avenue for some girls to continue their hockey careers as well as keep themselves relevant in the USA player pool. I believe that many players will not choose the WHL moving forward, finding it difficult to compete with a select few that will get paid year round to train. Girls making 10K to play in the WHL will have to work, and I believe the main point of the USA team getting "paid" was so they did not have to work, making it almost impossible for a WHL player not in the player pool to compete. Thus weakening the league, creating a smaller player pool of talent and perhaps putting it in danger. I hope not, women's hockey has come a long way. I wish the could make 300K a year. With no sponsors and small attendance this may have the opposite effect of what everyone thinks. Time will tell.
                      Good observations and I agree with most of what you said. I will point out however that the only countries that centralize their national teams for the Olympics are USA and Canada. All the other countries you referenced and then some-- Finland, Sweden, Switzerland, Czech Republic, Russia, Germany, etc. don't centralized meaning that those players that are still in college all will be playing on their respective college teams this season right up until the Olympics and then again after the Olympic games are completed. With the depth the 2 power house WCHA teams have shown over the last 2 years or so one would have thought that those depth players would be chosen instead of some others picked in the draft. The point you make about mid-west players not signing with a NWHL team because they would be paid peanuts does make sense though! Players that live out east are probably easier to sign by the teams that picked them instead of wasting a draft pick on someone who won't sign anyway.

Comment

Agree on the girls from Europe not getting centralized. I kind of got sidetracked on that point and I meant to add that most of the Europeans don't have interest in the NWHL

Comment

In general, you'll only see women playing in the NWHL that are based out east, since they don't make enough to pay for housing, etc ... Courtney Burke and Jenny Ryan are both from NY, but most of the WCHA gals are midwest-based, making a move out east unlikely and expensive. There are obviously exceptions, but that's sort of the general rule. Players making that jump/move have either secured a job somewhere or are being supported by other means.

There's more behind-the-scenes communication going on than you'd imagine in regards to that draft, so the teams/league know which players are interested and would consider moving out there and which they shouldn't waste their draft picks on.
                          It's a great day for hockey!

Comment

https://twitter.com/sophieshirley8

Sophie Shirley‏ @sophieshirley8 9h9 hours ago
                            Sophie Shirley Retweeted Calgary Inferno

Thank you @InfernoCWHL! Looking forward to the season ahead!

Sophie Shirley added,
                            Calgary Inferno @InfernoCWHL
                            Inferno third round selection is Sophie Shirley from the Okanagan Hockey Academy #CWHLDraft #growthegame
                            1 reply 5 retweets 57 likes

Comment

Sophie Shirley drafted in 3rd round of CWHL and tweeted that she is looking forward to the season ahead.

https://twitter.com/sophieshirley8/s...78980893073408

Sophie Shirley‏ @sophieshirley8
                              Sophie Shirley Retweeted Calgary Inferno

Thank you @InfernoCWHL! Looking forward to the season ahead!

Calgary Inferno @InfernoCWHL
                              Inferno third round selection is Sophie Shirley from the Okanagan Hockey Academy #CWHLDraft #growthegame

Comment

Originally posted by NMH View Post
                                In general, you'll only see women playing in the NWHL that are based out east, since they don't make enough to pay for housing, etc ... Courtney Burke and Jenny Ryan are both from NY, but most of the WCHA gals are midwest-based, making a move out east unlikely and expensive. There are obviously exceptions, but that's sort of the general rule. Players making that jump/move have either secured a job somewhere or are being supported by other means.

There's more behind-the-scenes communication going on than you'd imagine in regards to that draft, so the teams/league know which players are interested and would consider moving out there and which they shouldn't waste their draft picks on.
                                It's bummer to see playing careers end due to geography. I lament there is not a NWHL team in SE WI, I would like to see them play.

Comment

Working...
                                X