Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NHL 2016.2: An All-Canada Final (Playoffs and Off-season)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NHL 2016.2: An All-Canada Final (Playoffs and Off-season)

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
    Teemu, Kariya, Recchi, Andreychuk
    One of these things is not like the others.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
      I suppose the idea must be that the Saad/Toewes combination greatly exceeds the sum of the parts, hence the value. But yeah, losing Panarin hurts.

A few quick thoughts.

Was shocked by both trades, but mostly coz I was enduring graduation party prep week and busy as **** and didn't hear any chatter.

I always thought Hawks fanboy overrated Saad and I believe that C-Bus overpaid him. Talent like Panarin's is uncommon and not easily replaced.

Calmer heads though... Panarin (and Kane)... but especially Panarin, seemed pretty invisible in the Nashville series.

I can see why they believe this is an overall upgrade. The Hawks won three Cups getting pushed around by physical teams, but the core is older now and maybe we need to be sturdier.

It always bothered me to see us get beat down every playoff series, but the Cups spoke for themselves and how could I argue too much with that?

I'll be happy if we can go a little more toe-to-toe with the less skilled, goon squad teams like the Blues.

Hammer gone though hurts to the core. As a defensive defenseman myself - him because he's tough as nails, me because I have no hands - he was my hero.

Comment

I wish the Wild would have found a way to get Panarin if he was available.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Teemu, Kariya, Recchi, Andreychuk, Danielle Goyette, builders Clare Drake and Jeremy Jacobs are your 2017 HHOF inductees.
          No Broten? Dafuq!

Comment

Teemu, Kariya, Recchi, Andreychuk, Danielle Goyette, builders Clare Drake and Jeremy Jacobs are your 2017 HHOF inductees.
            Really surprised Alfredsson wasn't on the list
            Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post

Sorry, but you guys can't have anything nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                Sorry, but you guys can't have anything nice.

Yeah, I think I know that.
                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

They basically traded away a guy who might have a slightly higher ceiling for a guy who's similar but has a cost controlled contract locked into place. Not sure the Wild have any wingers at a similar age/contract/level of production to make that trade. I also doubt the Hawks are looking to pay more for D either with some of the crazy contracts they have there seeing as those contracts are part of why they don't have both Panarin and Saad.

Comment

Kiss Edmonton goodbye as a contender if McDavid signs for $13 million (1/7th of the cap).
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      Kiss Edmonton goodbye as a contender if McDavid signs for $13 million (1/7th of the cap).
                      This is what I don't understand about the NHL. The stars want the same inflation that the NFL and NBA have but the Cap doesn't go up some years at all and not by much other years. You can't run a hockey team paying him that much money.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        You could've done that after the Hall and Eberle trades. And giving Russell an extension lol.

This is what I don't understand about the NHL. The stars want the same inflation that the NFL and NBA have but the Cap doesn't go up some years at all and not by much other years. You can't run a hockey team paying him that much money.
                        Well the cap will go up next year to 75 million I believe. But it's all due to the league wanting a flat cap tied to revenue and players are hestitant to raise the cap and get screwed over by the escrow system.
                        Last edited by trixR4kids; 06-28-2017, 10:42 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          It will be the same, or similar percentage of cap that Crosby signed for. Less percentage than Ovechkin signed for.

It can be done.

Comment

• Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                            It will be the same, or similar percentage of cap that Crosby signed for. Less percentage than Ovechkin signed for.

It can be done.
                            The cap was growing back then. It's flat now.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                              Calmer heads though... Panarin (and Kane)... but especially Panarin, seemed pretty invisible in the Nashville series.
                              Definitely agree. Not that anyone on the roster had a series to be proud of. But playoff production is Job 1; and it just wasn't there for Panarin.

I can see why they believe this is an overall upgrade. The Hawks won three Cups getting pushed around by physical teams, but the core is older now and maybe we need to be sturdier.

It always bothered me to see us get beat down every playoff series, but the Cups spoke for themselves and how could I argue too much with that?

I'll be happy if we can go a little more toe-to-toe with the less skilled, goon squad teams like the Blues.
                              I'm with you on all of that, but it's really important not to overreact.

A bit of ancient history from the early '80s: At that point in time, the skate was on the other foot, so to speak. The Hawks were a team that tried to out-physical more talented foes. They won a playoff series against a good North Stars team with that recipe. The North Stars responded by partially dismantling their team -- and were the worse for it for a number seasons.

I'm certainly not saying that trading Panarin is the equivalent. But that history shows a path to be avoided.

Hammer gone though hurts to the core. As a defensive defenseman myself - him because he's tough as nails, me because I have no hands - he was my hero.
                              Major loss.

While I want to be fair and see what the new guys can do, I have to admit I'm really concerned about the D Corps moving forward. We seem to be either a little too old or very unproven - pretty much across the board. Not saying everything would have been easy had we been able to keep TVR & #4. But we were already thin before losing those two.

Quick aside, in case anyone's wondering: Yes, having Panarin (and Saad before him) come to Columbus produces a twilight zone feel for me. I do root for the CBJ as a second favorite team. I'm genuinely glad the NHL is in town. I was even happier when the Jackets moved East, thus reducing the "conflicting loyalties" issue. But trades like this are just plain awkward. I guess I can only hope it works out well for both teams.

Bottom line(s)? Rooting hard for Saad to have a successful homecoming; and hoping that Stan Bowman has some answers on 'D' that I'm currently not seeing.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                The cap was growing back then. It's flat now.
                                Something is gonna give when there's another lockout in 2-3 years (can't remember exactly what year it's in).

I saw on twitter that McJesus' deal would rank like 70+ in NBA.

Comment

Working...
                                X