Page 32 of 40 FirstFirst ... 22232425262728293031323334353637383940 LastLast
Results 621 to 640 of 789

Thread: NHL 2016.2: An All-Canada Final (Playoffs and Off-season)

  1. #621

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    30,798

    Re: NHL 2016.2: An All-Canada Final (Playoffs and Off-season)

    We have a trade

    The Canadiens acquire Jonathan Drouin + a cond. 6th-round pick (2018) from TBL, in return for M. Sergachev + a cond. 2nd-round pick (2018).

  2. #622
    Capt
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I'm on a boat/TPAFL
    Posts
    11,869
    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    We have a trade

    The Canadiens acquire Jonathan Drouin + a cond. 6th-round pick (2018) from TBL, in return for M. Sergachev + a cond. 2nd-round pick (2018).
    Tampa has to give up a good player to get the young defenseman they need. Also frees up an expansion slot (Drouin has to be protected) and they likely couldn't afford him. Probably a smart trade both ways, though it will be better for Montreal if Drouin can slide into a center role.

  3. #623
    Alien With an Attitude
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    The True North Strong and Free
    Posts
    11,167

    Re: NHL 2016.2: An All-Canada Final (Playoffs and Off-season)

    Phil Housley is the new Sabres coach
    Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

  4. #624
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,194

    Re: NHL 2016.2: An All-Canada Final (Playoffs and Off-season)

    Quote Originally Posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
    Tampa has to give up a good player to get the young defenseman they need. Also frees up an expansion slot (Drouin has to be protected) and they likely couldn't afford him. Probably a smart trade both ways, though it will be better for Montreal if Drouin can slide into a center role.
    I think you are right, the expansion draft played a role in this trade.

  5. #625

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    30,798

    Re: NHL 2016.2: An All-Canada Final (Playoffs and Off-season)

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
    Phil Housley is the new Sabres coach
    I think his last head coaching gig was US U20 team that won the World Juniors. Before that Stillwater Ponies.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    4 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16,??? 4/18)

    ”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

    Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

    I want to live forever. So far, so good.

  6. #626
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Posts
    5,888

    Re: NHL 2016.2: An All-Canada Final (Playoffs and Off-season)

    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post

    The better question is would I start my team with anyone currently playing for the Minnesota Wild? The answer would be no.
    There was a story I read, I think on NHL.com, in which Fletcher talked about the draft and the fact that Minnesota doesn't have a first or second round pick this year.

    He said that statistics show that if you want to be an average NHL program you must draft two players who will play 100+ NHL games for you each draft. He described that as the "baseline" an NHL team needs to achieve just to be "average." He pointed out that statistic to emphasize the point of later round picks, since he says the Wild and other teams obviously try to get 3 or more players each draft who will play 100+ games for them, so they can be "above average."

    So I was bored today and I decided to go back and look at the Wild draft record. In the 17 drafts thus far in their history, they have achieved the "average" of drafting two players who went on to play 100+ games for them six times, none since 2010 when Granlund and Zucker were drafted. Now, in fairness, some of the recent draft picks haven't really had a chance yet. But I don't see a lot of 100+ game NHL candidates out of '11 and '12 other than Brodin and Dumba, respectively.

    The Wild drafted "above average" only twice, their first two drafts.

    Jonas Brodin is #8 all time in games played for the Wild by a Wild draft pick.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

  7. #627
    Capt
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I'm on a boat/TPAFL
    Posts
    11,869

    Re: NHL 2016.2: An All-Canada Final (Playoffs and Off-season)

    Quote Originally Posted by bucky15 View Post
    I think you are right, the expansion draft played a role in this trade.
    I think that was probably a secondary/third priority. Salary cap savings/future almost certainly first. I've seen long-term deal figures in the 5.5-6.5 AAV range for Drouin, and TBL have Johnson/Palat as major RFA signings this year, Kucherov on a bridge deal that will need to be PAID soon(ish). Obviously this frees up a protection slot for an arguable secondary priority, most mock's I've seen have Namestnikov or Killorn being plucked from TBL, which are both pretty useful guys. Stevie was able to get his very wanted young stud defenseman, who may be able to step in next season from what I've read.

    Drouin has the potential to be an elite player for a long, long time... but I do think this was a smart hockey trade that both sides will be happy with for years to come.

  8. #628

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    30,798

    Re: NHL 2016.2: An All-Canada Final (Playoffs and Off-season)

    Quote Originally Posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
    I think that was probably a secondary/third priority. Salary cap savings/future almost certainly first. I've seen long-term deal figures in the 5.5-6.5 AAV range for Drouin, and TBL have Johnson/Palat as major RFA signings this year, Kucherov on a bridge deal that will need to be PAID soon(ish). Obviously this frees up a protection slot for an arguable secondary priority, most mock's I've seen have Namestnikov or Killorn being plucked from TBL, which are both pretty useful guys. Stevie was able to get his very wanted young stud defenseman, who may be able to step in next season from what I've read.

    Drouin has the potential to be an elite player for a long, long time... but I do think this was a smart hockey trade that both sides will be happy with for years to come.
    Signed 6 yrs $33 million. $5.5 AAV
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    4 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16,??? 4/18)

    ”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

    Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

    I want to live forever. So far, so good.

  9. #629
    NEVER DIE! ShirtlessBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    At a Coffee Shop
    Posts
    38,175

    Re: NHL 2016.2: An All-Canada Final (Playoffs and Off-season)

    ECHL Alaska Aces will relocate to Portland, ME.
    twitter: PipersHouse920
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    269/1,000 miles ran, 0/2,000 on bicycle
    Next race: FUNderwear Run 5K on March 12, Irish Jig 5K on March 18.

  10. #630

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    30,798

    Re: NHL 2016.2: An All-Canada Final (Playoffs and Off-season)

    There was a post on FB that said the day Batman died, the Penguins won the Stanley Cup.

  11. #631
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    6,402

    Re: NHL 2016.2: An All-Canada Final (Playoffs and Off-season)

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    There was a post on FB that said the day Batman died, the Penguins won the Stanley Cup.
    Really? Great catch by someone.

  12. #632
    I'm the Problem ScoobyDoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The 9th Circle
    Posts
    63,583

    Re: NHL 2016.2: An All-Canada Final (Playoffs and Off-season)

    Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post
    There was a story I read, I think on NHL.com, in which Fletcher talked about the draft and the fact that Minnesota doesn't have a first or second round pick this year.

    He said that statistics show that if you want to be an average NHL program you must draft two players who will play 100+ NHL games for you each draft. He described that as the "baseline" an NHL team needs to achieve just to be "average." He pointed out that statistic to emphasize the point of later round picks, since he says the Wild and other teams obviously try to get 3 or more players each draft who will play 100+ games for them, so they can be "above average."

    So I was bored today and I decided to go back and look at the Wild draft record. In the 17 drafts thus far in their history, they have achieved the "average" of drafting two players who went on to play 100+ games for them six times, none since 2010 when Granlund and Zucker were drafted. Now, in fairness, some of the recent draft picks haven't really had a chance yet. But I don't see a lot of 100+ game NHL candidates out of '11 and '12 other than Brodin and Dumba, respectively.

    The Wild drafted "above average" only twice, their first two drafts.

    Jonas Brodin is #8 all time in games played for the Wild by a Wild draft pick.
    This is typical for all the Minnesota teams. They claim they need to draft someone for big minutes in the first round and then the player never plays.
    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

    Glass at 0%: Another First Round Exit.

  13. #633

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Secret Lair
    Posts
    53,360

    Re: NHL 2016.2: An All-Canada Final (Playoffs and Off-season)

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    There was a post on FB that said the day Batman died, the Penguins won the Stanley Cup.
    That is great.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

    "The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

  14. #634
    DYKWIA? FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    America's Great Comeback City™, LOL
    Posts
    25,740

    Re: NHL 2016.2: An All-Canada Final (Playoffs and Off-season)

    When NHL teams win the Stanley Cup, they often celebrate with a $50,000 bar tab.

    When their minor league affiliates win the Calder Cup, the celebration is a bit more...modest.

    https://www.nhl.com/news/grand-rapid...?tid=281396148

  15. #635
    Waiting for the Snow to fly...
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    South Chicago Burbs... For now anyways...
    Posts
    5,215

    Re: NHL 2016.2: An All-Canada Final (Playoffs and Off-season)

    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    When NHL teams win the Stanley Cup, they often celebrate with a $50,000 bar tab.

    When their minor league affiliates win the Calder Cup, the celebration is a bit more...modest.

    https://www.nhl.com/news/grand-rapid...?tid=281396148
    It's the off season... They deserve a cheat meal
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

    Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

    Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

    Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

  16. #636

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    30,798

    Re: NHL 2016.2: An All-Canada Final (Playoffs and Off-season)

    LA decides to protect 8 skaters, leaving Quick unprotected.

    @mayorNHL: Can confirm...

    LA Kings protected Kopitar, Carter, Toffoli, Pearson, Doughty, Muzzin, Martinez, Forbort

    #NHLExpansionDraft
    Last edited by joecct; 06-17-2017 at 05:46 PM.

  17. #637
    Kings affiliate
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    St. Cloud, MN
    Posts
    10,713
    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    LA decides to protect 8 skaters, leaving Quick unprotected.

    @mayorNHL: Can confirm...

    LA Kings protected Kopitar, Carter, Toffoli, Pearson, Doughty, Muzzin, Martinez, Forbort

    #NHLExpansionDraft
    Every team must protect a goalie so Quick will be.
    They are just protecting less players than going the 7-3 route.

  18. #638

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    30,798
    Quote Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
    Every team must protect a goalie so Quick will be.
    They are just protecting less players than going the 7-3 route.
    Ah no. You can protect 7-3-1 or 8.

  19. #639
    Capt
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I'm on a boat/TPAFL
    Posts
    11,869
    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Ah no. You can protect 7-3-1 or 8.
    Ah, no. You can protect 7-3-1, or 8-1.

  20. #640

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    30,798

    Re: NHL 2016.2: An All-Canada Final (Playoffs and Off-season)

    Quote Originally Posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
    Ah, no. You can protect 7-3-1, or 8-1.
    It appears I was misinformed.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    4 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16,??? 4/18)

    ”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

    Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

    I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •