Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

Warning: Long term FEMA camps coming to Texas
    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Re: 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

I wonder what IAH looks like.

Comment

I heard stories of rescue boats getting their motors hung up on the roofs of SUVs hidden under the water.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
          I heard stories of rescue boats getting their motors hung up on the roofs of SUVs hidden under the water.
          One report had a motor hitting the roof of a house. Wife's cousin lives in Cypress. She tweeted Harris County has received 650 billion gallons of rain. . Just sent us unbelievable photos of 17' of water burying a freeway
          Last edited by SteveP; 08-27-2017, 07:10 PM.
          Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
            I'd agree with that.

I'm hesitant to go as far as saying Houston could experience Katrina level flooding, but things are getting bad all through the metro area, and more is coming.
            This is due mostly to rain. Katrina flooding was mostly storm surge from the Gulf. This is being called a thousand year storm.
            Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

This may become Iris today.
              http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at5...?cone#contents
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                All those people that were relocated from New Orleans to Houston after Katrina, get to relive this sh*t all over again.
                It's sad but if they had done a little reading they would have known that Houston had zero city planning for anything like this. From the reporting this morning they paved over flood plains without even batting an eyelash.
                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                  It's sad but if they had done a little reading they would have known that Houston had zero city planning for anything like this. From the reporting this morning they paved over flood plains without even batting an eyelash.
                  I'm not sure that if you were to look into the emergency management plans of any U.S. city you're going to find a chapter entitled, "What to do when you get 50 inches of rain."
                  That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                    I'm not sure that if you were to look into the emergency management plans of any U.S. city you're going to find a chapter entitled, "What to do when you get 50 inches of rain."
                    As I understand it this has happened before. However, this time it's 12' higher. It's just another example of how we never learn.
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

You took the words right out of my mouth. This has never happened before in the US since we started detailing weather records. I heard this morning that experts have estimated this storm has dropped over 11 trillion gallons of water and it's not over yet.

Scooby, there aren't many places in the US that can handle four feet of rain in under a week. Probably none.

Put the amount of rain in perspective, to date in 2017, MSP has received 27" of rain. They received that in the first 24-48 hours.

What could they possibly have learned. You throw out "but this time it's 12' higher" like it's inconsequential. How the hell do you learn from that?

Did you mean 12" more rain? Even then, how do you fix that in a city like Houston. Even $100 billion to put that kind of infrastructure in would be just scratching the surface. We're probably talking about something closer to a $1 trillion to fix a city of that size's infrastructure to handle a storm like this.
                      Last edited by dxmnkd316; 08-28-2017, 08:31 AM.
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Still, the very definition of risk mitigation is there is a chapter entitled "What you can do when the unimaginably awful happens." For example, in the USG we have continuity of operations plans and the last chapter is literally "Catastrophe Mitigation," where the event is left undefined but it stands for "even worse" than the specified scenarios. Considering one of the specified scenarios is nuclear war... Anyway, the Catastrophe Mitigation is a set of protocols that depend on what's left: do you have infrastructure, do you have comms, do you have a command structure, etc. At each stage there are steps you take to try to prevent even more massive damage. This is actually one of the key responsibilities of government.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          Still, the very definition of risk mitigation is there is a chapter entitled "What you can do when the unimaginably awful happens." For example, in the USG we have continuity of operations plans and the last chapter is literally "Catastrophe Mitigation," where the event is left undefined but it stands for "even worse" than the specified scenarios. Considering one of the specified scenarios is nuclear war... Anyway, the Catastrophe Mitigation is a set of protocols that depend on what's left: do you have infrastructure, do you have comms, do you have a command structure, etc. At each stage there are steps you take to try to prevent even more massive damage. This is actually one of the key responsibilities of government.
                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And part of that is stop building in flood plains. And below sea level.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                            I thought it was Irma?

Comment

And, to back up what I'm saying.

Here.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/houston-pro...ry?id=49452150

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And part of that is stop building in flood plains. And below sea level.
                                well were else can the coloreds afford to live?!?!?
                                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Working...
                                X